WIP Kingfisher

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Chronmeister, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Thank you so much! :) I can't wait to show you the forerunner **** I added. It actually looks not bad and should function quite nicely.

Given To Fly likes this.
  2. Pat Sounds

Pat Sounds Spartan II
    Forge Critic

The fire tower is a nice detail too. Love it

Chronmeister and Xandrith like this.
  3. SammichEaterPro

SammichEaterPro The Hungriest Forger

From the pictures, I think the log pile looks too much like a log pile as opposed to a beaver dam if the dam is the desired outcome. I haven't played, so I can only comment on pure aesthetics and choices. I hope to get more active once finals are over.

Chronmeister likes this.
  4. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead

I took out the log pile and watchtower because they weren't doing enough to help with player orientation. What I have now is a couple of giant forunner towers on each end of the river that can be seen from anywhere on the map. I liked the natural stuff, but it wasn't serving it's purpose. I hope to try out the new version with you guys soon and I'll post some new pics tonight.

Given To Fly and Xandrith like this.
  5. SammichEaterPro

Can you post updated pics?

6. CommanderColson

I remember playing this! Had a lot of fun on this map, I'm so happy that everyone seems to be breaking away from the old 'blood gulch' style BTB maps

Chronmeister likes this.
  7. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead

Here are the updated pics. I finally have it playable again and will be looking to test it out this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My bookmark has been updated. Feel free to take a stroll.

Doctor Squishy likes this.
  8. PRS

PRS Promethean

I've been keeping up with this one because I like the idea and I gotta say I'm really liking how it's playing. These changes look really interesting, seems like they'll help some orient the sides a bit more.

Chronmeister likes this.
  9. moo43

moo43 Talented
    Forge Critic

This looks really cool. Seems you did a great job with merging the terrain together. Great job man.

Chronmeister likes this.
  10. Lazy Animator

Lazy Animator Spartan II

You have quite different versions of this from what I can tell. The above screen shots have these angular structures whereas all the versions I've seen feel like a national park. I like the latter, reminds me of "Firewatch" that I've been hearing so much about. Not much to say on this otherwise because I think it's close to perfect. For one I just really like how you managed to build a fun and functional map out of 95% terrain. I'm definitely not there yet. I don't get what people are saying about orientation and pathing needing more cues. I never got lost, but remember you should always shoot for the broadest audience possible. A few more landmarks couldn't hurt. Other than that I really enjoy it. Good work. Cheers!

Chronmeister likes this.
  11. SammichEaterPro

When you run around a map that has the same general theme in multiple areas with little differences it can be hard to call out player locations or orient. The vehicle path needing needing more cues is so drivers have time to react or anticipate what direction they are able to drive without smashing in to walls or getting stuck.
    Both are important for map flow.

Chronmeister likes this.
  12. Chesus Khrist

Chesus Khrist Bangin Pizza / FGPBCIA

Doesn't the name always come first?

13. Goat

Goat Rock Paper Scissors Scrap

alright so i'm taking a look at kingfisher in your files and these are the things that stood out to me

• i'd move or lose the spawns right by the teleporters so people spawning there don't accidentally port.
    • some of the corners are very tight, especially if i were to take a vehicle there. particularly around the buildings.
    • the map lacks landmarks. i feel like it'd be very easy to get lost with all of the rocks looking the same.
    i don't think it's too vertical but i'd have to play it to know for sure. it does look promising though and the way you incorporated the water is unique. moving forward, i'd definitely try to simplify the vehicle paths and incorporate more visual landmarks for orientation.

Chronmeister likes this.
  14. SammichEaterPro

The theory that is more prevalent for spawns not appearing near teleporter's are that someone may spawn near the exit and have an enemy port through and kill them immediately. Creates awkward encounters and spawning issues. People walking into them upon spawning is also a problem, but is indirectly dealt with by the above.

15. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead

I'm getting pretty close to complete with this, but I'm gonna wait till the new foliage arrives to finish off the map. Hopefully I can use them to help define the areas a little more. I am planning on adding ivy to quite a few areas to contrast the rocks, and I am likely adding two of the new trees to the area behind shotgun spawn. I feel lucky to have these items arrive just when I really need them. I've added a bunch more spawns to the map since my last playtest and I made one corner a little easier for the warthog. I know it can be argued, but I think the map offers plenty of room for the warthog. I don't really want all the corners to be taken at full speed and if you are a decent driver, you will have no problems getting around the map. It is supposed to feel like you are off roading a bit, plus the narrow areas increase the chance of getting splatters.:) I have added neutral flag, but haven't had a game to test it yet. The teams will spawn at mid bases and have to return to their own towers. I also added a couple of landmarks and moved a few troublesome spawn points.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hope to test out a much more lush version of the map with you guys very soon!

#35 Chronmeister, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    moo43 and Doctor Squishy like this.
  16. Xandrith

Xandrith Heroic

I took another look at this recently, and I can confidently say that this is the only btb map I actually want to play. The new foliage looks great too;)

Chronmeister likes this.
  17. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead

Thanks bro! That means a lot to me. I hope to someday get this considered for MM, but it's likely a long way off and you know how confusing that process can be. Regardless, I'm happy with it and should be posting it soon after a few more tests.

Xandrith likes this.
  18. Max Extra

Max Extra Forged Friday Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Forge Critic

We couldnt play the most recent one this last friday because the map only had 1 spawn. Hopefully we can get around to playing the newest one soon. From the pictures its looking real good.

Chronmeister likes this.
  19. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead

Yeah, sorry about that. I was in the middle of adding the structures and altering the terrain so I deleted them all. It's good to go now though. I just want to test it a little more and tweak it a bit before I release it. I'm glad you like it. It looks quite a bit better with the over 100 pieces of foliage I added.

20. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead

Max Extra, a Chunk and Xandrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.