Why do you Forge?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Stardriver907, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 ONI Agent

Why do you Forge?

You fire up your Xbox /PC, load Halo Forge, pick a blank map, and start placing objects. Why? Or, more to the point, to what end? Did you seek to make that map that 343 refuses to provide? Did you want to perhaps correct the mistakes Bungie or 343 might have made? Did you want to make a new gametype? Create a special place for you and your friends? Get something into Matchmaking? Just want to see what you can do? Make something the likes of which no one has ever seen before? Machinema stage? Art project? Game research?

What motivates me is pushing the limits. I didn't warm up to Forge much when it first came out, but Reach's Forge World caught my attention. Forge World and, later, Forge Island is where I spent most of my effort. In particular, the goal on Forge Island was to use all three islands, whatever the gametype was. I managed making a five base Dominion map covering all three islands, but because of object limits it wasn't very pretty. Finding enough players for a match was nearly impossible. Still, the objective was to see if it was even possible, and I succeeded.

A side goal is to put something on the map that you haven't seen before, using (not necessarily exploiting) Forge's objects, bells and whistles to make unusual and/or unexpected things happen. Since I usually find myself pushing the object limits I don't worry much about how it looks, so I just try to make it so that a fair match can be had (in my opinion, that's the hardest part).

And if I can't use a Scorpion on the map I'm done with that map.

Cause tanks beat everything.

So when YOU fire up Forge, what are YOU after?

2. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

I like to push the boundaries of what can be done with the scripting engine. I seek to open people's eyes and go "whoa, I never would have thought to do that" or better yet, "I assumed that wasn't possible, but here I am looking at it!"

I forge the map itself to create a playable space around whatever scripting idea I think I've been able to successfully pull off. For that reason, my maps have not and never will be the best competitive maps, but hopefully they are all playable and enjoyable for what they are, an exercise in creativity and ingenuity.

3. Ryouji Gunblade

Ryouji Gunblade Spartan II

Because I can. I like doing things no one else has done yet, with a dose of nostalgia.

Pretty sure I break too many rules to be in matchmaking.

4. WeedCough

WeedCough Spartan II

I love taking things from my mind and bring them (somewhat) into reality.

5. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Most accessible level designer for me right now. Part of the reason I used to love forging was because I thoroughly looked forward to playing on my maps. That part is kinda gone now unfortunately.

I'd absolutely love to design for Overwatch. All four gametypes offer so many opportunities for unique level design, especially when you're working with so many different movement abilities on different heroes.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  6. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Promethean
    Forge Critic Banned Senior Member

To be the best.

Xandrith likes this.
  7. MULLERTJE

MULLERTJE ROGUE

For fun. 80% of my maps is a doodle that got out of hand real fast.

8. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

Like no one ever was?

MultiLockOn likes this.
  9. ryan LFC 92

ryan LFC 92 Spartan I

for my own amusement. Right now though I am working on a long time idea I'd never thought i'd make until a few days ago where i thought **** it, im gonna make this idea I see if people want this as bad as i want it. Im making it because of these reasons really " 343 refuses to provide? Did you want to perhaps correct the mistakes Bungie or 343 might have made? Did you want to make a new gametype?" <- this in a nutshell.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 8, 2017 ---
    he's gonna have to catch up, thats his real test

10. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

Catch UP?

CATCH UPPPPPP????

CATCH 'EM ALLLLLLLLLLL JEEZ

11. ryan LFC 92

ryan LFC 92 Spartan I

i was being subtle. you just ruined it

12. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

It was already ruined

13. ryan LFC 92

ryan LFC 92 Spartan I

nah we could have subtlety did the whole song but ya ruined it.

14. Goat

Goat Rock Paper Scissors Scrap

I forged in Reach because I liked playing Reach. I forged in Halo 4 and MCC because I wanted a map in matchmaking.

Now I forge because it's a good creative outlet to come up with new ideas and see where they can go. I think I have great ideas - the best ideas. My ideas are yuge.

Seriously though, I feel like nobody else pushes themes and art the way I do, and I have a responsibility to showcase how inspiring a playspace can feel. I want people to go on one of my maps and feel like they are somewhere, and enjoy gameplay that feels like what they would expect to find in that environment. Seth once said that my maps feel like paintings and every fight on them is cinematic, so that's what I want to accomplish in a multiplayer environment.

But more than that, it's a therapeutic venture. Set dressing a 3D space with character and charm is fun, and Forging is one of the rare times I can do something menial while listening to music.

Unfortunately, Forge and Halo are holding me back.

#14 Goat, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  15. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 ONI Agent

Not to derail my own thread but, for a good change of pace I would recommend Space Engineers.

16. qrrby

qrrby Waggly piece of flesh

HE WILL TRAVEL ACROSS THE LAND

17. Alex Parsons

Alex Parsons Spartan II

This thread is not about the Pokemoney season 1 theme song. I find it incredibly inappropriate for a staff member to encourage thread derailment.

Goat likes this.
  18. Portaleer

Portaleer THE FORGERUNNER
    Staff Member Forge Critic

My passion is world building. Being able to craft beautiful, functional sci-fi environments that add to a richer Halo universe for myself, and for others alike. Having my maps tell a story through their visual and atmospheric design is very important to me. It's what I love doing; maybe for a living some day.

19. Xandrith

Xandrith Heroic

I started forging because I liked making stuff. I wanted to improve because of the feeling of excitement I would get when I loaded up a map and saw something that nobody else had done before or at least something I had never seen before. I wanted to recreate that feeling with my own maps, and I'm still trying to get there.

After reading and learning a lot about music, philosophy, and the fine arts, I've come to realize that forge is no exception to the world of creation. Just because it's in a video game doesn't mean it takes any less time to understand or master, and while I'm not there yet, I fully intend on being one of the best if not the best multiplayer level designers out there.

Something I would like to work on as far as a 3d space is concerned is the artistic side of things. I have always been abnormally artistically (in a technical sense) and compositionally talented, but I never cared to show that off in forge because I was extremely focused on creating unique encounters over atmosphere. I know now that both are extremely important, and you can't be considered the best or even close without being proficient in both categories. However, I don't think my extreme focus has harmed my journey, but rather I think it helped. I know how to balance a map easily, and I can identify problems without playing a map. I know what works and what doesn't. I'm at the point now that the only thing holding me back is creativity.

However, I've come to learn through clinical psychology that creativity (defined by "openness") is pretty much completely hereditary. One one hand, this gives me an excuse to concede. On the other hand, this makes me want to defy my own brain (which IS possible with a ridiculous amount of practice) and become as artistically creative as anyone else.

I know this is sort of off topic, but this is a good lecture on the subject.

Alex Parsons, ryan LFC 92 and a Chunk like this.
  20. xzamplez

xzamplez Promethean

Because I like the feeling of being satisfied with something I've created. Because I like architecture, even in its most basic form. Because it's the one passion I have that seems unwavering. Even when I wasn't making maps in games, I was still drawing layouts. When I wasn't drawing them, I was imagining them.

Alex Parsons and Portaleer like this.