When duplicating an object, do you like the inverted camera control?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by WAR, Feb 28, 2016.

?

When duplicating an object, do you like the inverted camera control?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    94.9%
  1. WAR

WAR Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

While we're in the spirit of vocalizing and addressing most of our concerns with forge in terms of desired features and improvements, I'd like to ask you a very particular question regarding our basic controls. We've been using forge for over a few months now, so I'm hoping that everyone has had time to acclimate to the new and improved control scheme. While many aspects are much better than in the past, there is one thing that many find persistently unintuitive. I would like to take the opportunity to ask you to fill our our online poll and share your thoughts regarding the inverted camera control scheme when duplicating objects.

So please vote and leave a comment below to share your thoughts on this!

invert.jpg

Some comments from our twitter poll:

"oh, definitely" - Ben Walker, Forge Engineer

"Id use it if it wasnt inverted. Id prefer toggle off because im sick of always breaking free of it. I use the zoom often though." - No God Anywhere

"I dont understand why they did it that way. to be honest i just thought it was some sort of bug the first few times it happened." - xxBRYTExx

#1 WAR, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Xandrith likes this.
  2. WAR

WAR Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

When I used forge for the very first time there were many new control schemes for me to adjust and adhere to. When duplicating objects, I was always struck back in confusion because of the inverted camera control scheme. At first I thought this was a bug until both Tom and Ben let me know that this was an intentional feature to help bring a more comfortable experience to forgers. Its been a few months now and I'm still not fond of this feature.

3. Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico Video Team #corruptstaff
    Forge Critic

I have no idea why it's a thing - I literally got confused as to why controls have gone nuts, and then deselect and reselect (usually via down on the dpad) to go back to my normal control setup. If it's there to assist players new to Forge, I don't what ease of use it's trying to emulate.

4. Vorked

Vorked Spartan II

I don't like it. It has no place. Just because you're holding onto an object that has been duplicated does not mean your control scheme should invert. Why not have this happen with all spawned objects? Why only duplication?

It doesn't make sense and is very out of nowhere, which makes it even worse. Let's not forget that it also stops as soon as the monitor moves, meaning that it almost never comes up. When it does, it feels out of place.

5. Chef Linguini

Chef Linguini Mythic
    Forge Critic Senior Member

No. Unnecessary and unintuitive.

6. Goat

Goat Rock Paper Scissors Scrap

I don't like inverted controls for several reasons:

The first reason is because I don't play on inverted, so having to use inverted while Forging can ruin some muscle memory for me.

The second reason is that I have to claw when I use the controller. This makes sense in its own way, but it can be uncomfortable after long sessions.

The third and perhaps most important reason is that it's the only area in the game that switches its controls. Theater still has the old Forge controls where bumpers go up and down, and so does the Phaeton. So Forge being different is just jarring.

I switched my controls in the dashboard to inverted ages ago, so most of my Forge controls are normal. I may be used to it now, but I would prefer to have the option to adjust the controls nonetheless.

7. MartianMallCop

MartianMallCop Spartan III
    Forge Critic

The inverted controls just ends up being frustrating. If I'm moving an object with one control scheme it would make sense to continue to move the duplicated object that way as well

8. Sitri

Sitri Mythic

I've used Forge enough in 5 that I truly don't notice it anymore and I'm not bothered by it.
    Although various control options in Forge for those who aren't totally comfortable with the current control scheme would be a welcomed change.

SloppyBottom and Xandrith like this.
  9. iParanormal

iParanormal Member
    Forge Critic

It feels really weird to me. I would prefer the camera movement, when centered around an object, to be based on my controller settings.

10. NOKYARD

NOKYARD GrifballHub
    Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

The only time i EVER use inverted is in flying games which feature proper flight controls (not the Banshee) so inverted Forge controls can be very disorienting for me.

I sometimes get really, really immersed in Forge. Once, during a very late night session, i nearly fell out of my chair due to the disorientation caused by having my camera throw me off balance. Sad, but true.

11. Skyward Shoe

Skyward Shoe BTB Legend

I consider it a minor annoyance. Not a big problem in my eyes, but I certainly don't consider it helpful. It's an extra step to break out of it and return to my usual control scheme, and if this were gone it would make things one step simpler in forge.

Psychoduck likes this.
  12. Squally DaBeanz

343 Industries Forge Critic

The inverted controls when duplicating or zooming in on a piece is very jarring and unintuitive, and I've figured out why. Halo is a first person game, and the direction we push the stick turns our "heads" in that direction. We look around in a very natural way with it. However, when duplicating or zooming in on an object, we are no longer controlling our "head" movement the same way. Suddenly, we are controlling the Forge Monitor in a way that would make sense for third person, where the object selected is the player. Pushing up makes the Monitor move up like a camera, which in turns means it looks down. That would make sense, except we aren't controlling the object. We are still in first person, making the controls suddenly feel backwards. I believe controls in a game should remain consistent across all modes and circumstances. The inverted controls under this one context in forge breaks that, and is not intuitive to players.

Psychoduck and WAR like this.
  13. Xandrith

Xandrith Heroic

^What they said

14. xdemption

xdemption ATN

Pretty much agreed on all points, I myself have gotten used to it but to a newer forger it does create some confusion and would be far more intuitive to have non-inverted controls. Better yet, Allow the option to modify the control schemes ourselves. This would allow those who do prefer this can change it themselves.

15. Sethiroth

Sethiroth Sensei

The Inverted Duplicating camera control is one of the most frustrating and unintuitive things I have ever encounter. So much so that after I duplicate a object I always let go so I don't have to deal with it. It would be nice if it just stayed the same.

Blaze and Xandrith like this.
  16. Sn1p3r C

Sn1p3r C Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

Making it a setting solves any problem, though I almost never click my right stick to get in that mode, so it doesn't bother me. You can duplicate without zooming in.

17. CommanderColson

The inverted camera is a bigger mistake than the mcc

WAR likes this.
  18. Xandrith

Xandrith Heroic

[​IMG]

19. ThisIsNotTheNSA

ThisIsNotTheNSA Spartan III

It’s not too bad, but it should be changed. The inconsistency with the Forge orbit camera and the orbit camera on vehicles is what bothers me (as does the inconsistency with the up/down buttons).

20. aPK

aPK Greatest Forger Alive

It's a minor nuisance at most and there are so many other things I'd rather have looked at or addressed.

Xandrith, Skyward Shoe and Sn1p3r C like this.