What do you hope for -most- in the next Forge System?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by GreyMuffinBass, Oct 14, 2016.

?

What's your most anticipated changes to the next Forge Mode?

1. Higher Budget to Work With (All budgets)

2. More Objects to Choose From (And Object Categories)

3. Additional Game Mode Support (Race, Oddball, etc.)

4. Deeper Scripting Power (More Scripting Channels, Actions, etc.)

5. Fuller List of Named Locations (Including all Team Color Call-Outs)

6. Regions (New Concept: Adjustable Areas that React With Scripts)

7. Smaller and Larger Pieces (For Aesthetics and Layout)

8. Bigger Maps to Build On (Taller Too!)

9. Better Selection of Forge Maps (More the Merrier)

10. Other (Please Specify in Comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

I know 343 will do the flattening system you brought up @Given To Fly . Mostly because this forge system will most likely carry over, as it will require no further development time, and they can simply worry about making it far more efficient. We will be able to "bake" a copy of a map where you can't edit what has been baked, however it will represent the true performance of the map.

I still have hope in 343 that we will get game modes in this system of forge.

#21 Agent Zero85, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Given To Fly and GreyMuffinBass like this.
  2. TurbTastic

TurbTastic Legendary

I quit forging and playing customs after the Anvil's Legacy update ruined custom games and content files, so I'm a bit rusty on the issues. I have a lot of opinions on what's wrong & missing with custom games & game modes, but that list hasn't been updated for a few months and doesn't have anything about the content browser. @shaudy430 is a very experienced lobby host and is one of the latest to give up on this game, so his input on hosting and custom games would be very valuable as well.

3. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

I hope you become interested in the game again, as im sure they are fixing these issues.

shaudy430 and GreyMuffinBass like this.
  4. shaudy430

shaudy430 Legendary

This. Combining Reach's Integration of Gametypes and Forge, with something like Halo 4's soft modded gametype settings that gave us the likes of Plague and Salvation, would be what I'd like to see. We should have applied to a master gametype, what was their attempt at the general ball gametype. Combine everything and let us choose. I'd like to have a conversion bassed :viral: CTF until one team has all players, or a Flag based hill/race, or Invasion :)

gt: b0b is here

5. Yumudas Beegbut

Yumudas Beegbut ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

Not entirely clear on what this would be. Something like using a Subtract tool in a CAD program to cut away overlapping parts of objects? And then all the selected objects would become something like an optimized welded group? Would that only be for the textures (and generation of graphics) or would that include more resources like collision boundaries and lighting stuff?

Is the main idea something like the "baking" @Agent Zero85 mentioned? So the selected objects get treated like the uneditable dev parts of maps instead of having all the processing baggage that comes with separate objects that can move, change lighting, hold scripts, send position/rotation updates, etc?

Bad 343! No! You don't drop giant loads that make the creative/productive members of your community quit! No treats today! Giving those to the cat.

6. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

Even selecting groups that once you weld together, it is permanent and the merged edges are gone, creating a new object in a sense. (true prefab). Scripts wouldn't be affected unless you wanted them to.Totally possible, just needs the desire and work.

7. Dunco

Dunco Troll Whisperer
    Forge Critic

Okay so this request is a little different but would be an awesome addition to our Infection forge maps.

They have the golf club already so why not make a few more melee weapons? A baseball bat, shovel, etc. It would add a little fun to those infection maps especially the custom game types. You're totally out of ammo and all there is near you is a pitchfork.

8. Yumudas Beegbut

Wiki Contributor

Don't forget chainsaw! Which of course can be used to cut off your own possessed hand and then attached in its place. Ok, I'm asking too much, but let's go with your idea.

shaudy430, GreyMuffinBass and Dunco like this.
  9. GreyMuffinBass

GreyMuffinBass ONI Agent

XD

10. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

I want them to look at everything they have built, and everything we want/need, and realize they need to re-rebuild Forge from the ground up. This time try building a full fledged editor that happens to be able to be used fairly well on console, but is fully realized on PC.

11. ThisIsNotTheNSA

ThisIsNotTheNSA Spartan I

Giving Forge more power on PC is a bad idea. Requiring players to have a sufficient PC to fully access their console game is anti-consumer. Not everyone has a PC, or at least not one that can run Forge. Suddenly, the maps will be split into the ones made on Console, and the ones made on PC, and the Console users won't be able to compete, because they don't have the full feature set.

If you want a fully-fledged editor, go use a real development tool.

12. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

How is having more options anti consumer? Are you currently upset about Halo 5 Forge on PC?
    This isn't match making, there is no need to settle for less. The console can be used for beginner level forging and the PC can be used for advanced forging. It's not a competition, it's all for the benefit of the community.
    This statement is not progressive thinking. I could just as easily say if all you want to do is forge on console, stick with Halo 5.

PS. What's to stop 343 from fully supporting keyboard and mouse on the console.

13. ThisIsNotTheNSA

ThisIsNotTheNSA Spartan I

No, I'm not upset at all about Halo 5 Forge on PC, because 343 wisely chose not to give it exclusive features. I'm all for options, and that's exactly what Halo 5 Forge on PC is: an option, not an upgrade. The only difference is the controls; the maps made on Halo 5 Forge on PC are exactly the same as the maps made on console.

No, it wouldn't benefit the community. I don't have a PC that could run Forge, and I know a lot of other players who don't have a PC that can run Forge. Telling a large part of the playerbase that they have to go drop hundreds of dollars on new hardware to access important functions of the game that they already spent 60 dollars on is nothing but a big middle finger to the community.

It's not about it being a competition, it's about dividing the community. It doesn't matter how much time and skill you put into your Guardian remake/Competitive map/whatever, because someone who has Forge for PC will come along and do it better than you, and there's nothing you can do about it. There would be no reason to even use Forge on console.

14. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

First off I would like to mention the fact that at no point have I said that there would be anything you could do on PC that you couldn't on console. This is something you came up with on your own. Now that, that is out of the way . . .
    You don't need a PC for the rest of the community to benefit from a PC version of the forge that offered features that aren't on console. People need to stop limiting the rest of the world by what they want and or can take advantage of. Should the 3D feature in Halo 1A have been dropped just because some people didn't have a 3D screen to play it on? Why should members of the community miss out because other members of the community lack the equipment to take advantage of a non essential feature. Far too often am I seeing this kind of mentality. Really, where does it end. Should everyone only be able to play the game on a 20" screen because that is all some of the community have. This limiting type of thinking needs to stop.

That is life. Someone will always be better, and owning a PC doesn't guarantee a better map. It's what you do with what you have that matters. If you need proof of that I point you towards 343's in house maps. Teams of professionals in their fields, with years of experience, using the best hardware with access to the game engine at it's base level, and what do we prefer to play on?

The topic of this thread is "WHAT DO YOU HOPE FOR -MOST- IN THE NEXT FORGE SYSTEM?"
    This is what I hope for. If you don't want it, that's fine. Feel free to post what you want. If you want to reiterate on something that someone has posted, that's fine. Please refrain from shooting down other peoples wishes.

15. Sn1p3r C

Sn1p3r C Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

Versionable "Release Files" that I can update from the content browser. So a player downloads "My Map" and when I have the update that fixes the hole on the floor, I can update their file seamlessly by selecting one of my regular files. They like the old version of something? Each Release File has a version history with the last 3 versions of the map so that they can save their own copy if they want it.

16. qrrby

qrrby Waggly piece of flesh

Touching back to the true prefab idea, I want a cutting tool.

My own vision consists of three main parts:
    1. The Cut
    Drag tool that can cut out unwanted pieces of an object using the magnet system.

2. The Magnets
    Ability to customize magnet points for an object. Special zoomed mode snaps monitor to a flat plane where user can toggle whether they see just the object or all objects placed. User can also still move/rotate object. Changing magnet points can be done with coordinate system or freehand, and with multiple angles (straight, curved, primitives, wavelengths, etc).
    3. The Texture
    I have no idea how ui work, so this point may be moot. I wondered what the cut surface would show as far as detail, so I thought that there may be a way to 'imprint' whatever the parallel surface of the custom cut is. This could allow some very interesting areas to open up on the art level. The amount of mind bending detail and/or the bizarre side effect of the more intricate stackings makes me giddy/uncomfortable (in a good way).

Own point of views aside and
    TL;.DR
    Having a cutting tool would be dope.

17. Starship Forge

Starship Forge Recruit

I voted other, because I think object scaling would prove far more useful than any combination of higher budget & object pallete. Even if all we got were scaleable primitives, that would go *so far* towards allowing us to build more efficiently & stretch the budget much, much further. No more patch work to fill out a shape. If the budget & pallete were increased along with that, even better. I think a cutting tool would also help in this regard (it would especially simplify interior designs).

I also want an undo. Seriously.

18. Yumudas Beegbut

Wiki Contributor

Holy crap, I forgot about an undo option! Even if it only goes back one step, that'd be huge.

The scaling mention in this post reminded me of being able to draw walls of any length in AutoCAD for Architects or Revit. Might be asking for a bit too much for Halo 6's Forge, but somewhere down the line...

19. GreyMuffinBass

GreyMuffinBass ONI Agent

I would appreciate a "no clip" option for the forge monitor, so that we can move through blocks which would make a lot of new opportunities to build with more freedom