Weekly Update 10-30-17

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Ascend Hyperion, Oct 29, 2017.

By Ascend Hyperion on Oct 29, 2017 at 3:18 PM
  1. Ascend Hyperion

Ascend Hyperion Speaker for The Dead
    Staff Member Forge Critic

wu10-29banner.jpg
    Liquidated

Hello again everyone! Ascend here. We had to check Shooty into a rehab facility for those suffering from pun overload. While he is recovering, I'll be drawing up this week's update! With the 1v1 Forge Contest entering it's next phase of judging and with cool new content landing on the site, we're bound to have some fun! This week we take an in-depth look at some of the discussions taking place in our forums as well as some awesome community made content!

Changing Phases

On October 27th, the 1v1 Forge Contest Judges announced that they have made their first round of cuts in the contest. Each judge played through all 90+ maps and deliberated on the next list of candidates for more comprehensive testing. To see the full list and current standings, visit the TRELLO BOARD!

For The People. By The People

The Community Favorite vote of October end today! Be sure to cast your votes if you have not! Visit the "Maps" page and click the voting banner at the top of the page to show your support for your faves!

A Special Note

On behalf of the ForgeHub team, I'd like to congratulate @Black Picture on his new job at 343i. Black is a long time community member, an avid forger and an awesome dude. We can't wait to see what you bring to us in the future. Congratulations!

As always, we get to see new and awesome content from you each week! Here are some awesome snapshots of this week's latest and greatest!

NOTE: ALL CONTENT CAN BE DOWNLOADED BY CLICKING THE CORRESPONDING IMAGE

wu10-29f(2).jpg
    From the Forums: Design Philosophy

Each map and each forger is a little different. @Xandrith has opened up a forum to let forgers discuss what makes their maps tick. Join in on the discussion and share your own design rules and ideas and check out others! Link Here

wu10-29(3).jpg
    From the Forums: What is Your Most Wanted OG Xbox Title

With the return of Original Xbox games on the Xbox One, @Preacher001 has one simple question for you. What original titles do you want to see on the Xbone?! With so many to choose from, the options are pretty wide. Some even get enhanced versions! Link Here

wu10-29f(4).jpg
    From the Forums: Smooth Linear Motion in Scripting

Anyone who has ever worked with scripted motion knows all too well that it is less than impressive. It is often glitchy, inconsistent and frustrating. @ExTerrestr1al has cracked the Da Vinci code of scripted movement. His new method can be used to produce buttery smooth movement and he has compiled a full tutorial on it's implementation. Check it out!

wu10-291f.png
    Alien Abduction by General PUG and ExtraSpicyMemes

We come in peace. Or not.... this cool infection based mini-game pits the players against aliens hell-bent on capturing and probing them. Don't take this lightly. These aliens are armed and dangerous and you're going to have to use everything in your possession to survive!

Xbox - Highgrounds Graphics Comparison

Brusky0086 - Gold Rush | Halo 5 Infection Map

TheRoflzDude - 'Kartodromo La Marquesa' By ricardootino

Everyday ForgeHub grows a little more. We wanna take this time to say hello to our new members each week as well as give them a chance to say hello to everyone, new and old.

Here are this week's new members:

@Burserk @earl wheeler @Feedback @Gameler @GrandMasterLP @huy dien @Jake Kuehl @JimmySullivan96 @Links Army @RefluentSea84 @Selectinglizard @Slippery Rage @Spartawhale @Tyler Starnes @Wilhelm

Welcome to the site everyone! On behalf of the ForgeHub Team, we hope you enjoy your stay! Consider posting your maps, creating forum threads, commenting on other's work and playing in custom lobbies to meet new people. Regardless, we hope to see you around :)

Every week there are customs lobbies held by a variety of people for a variety of different purposes. Wanna get your maps played or just play some Halo? Check out the schedule! Note: Times are listed in Eastern Standard Time.

Sunday:

11:59pm - Sunday Night Screams :viral: - Brusky0086

Monday:

11:00pm - The iForge Experience (4-16) - Brusky0086, Hosted Monday - Friday

Thursday:

8:00pm - The Thursday Thirteen (2-16) - Ascend Hyperion

Friday:

8:45pm - Forged Friday (1-16) - Max Extra

And so concludes another weekly update. Remember that the Clip/Pic of the Week section is 100% influenced by you, the community. Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments below and if you have suggestions for new weekly categories, don't be shy! See ya' later!

#1 Ascend Hyperion, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Ascend Hyperion, Oct 29, 2017.

1. GCSDoodles
    2. ExTerrestr1al
      ExTerrestr1al
      thanks for the spotlight!

This topic is already causing people to make some really cool stuff!
    3. ExtraSpicyMemes
      ExtraSpicyMemes
      Neat, smooth scripting is really nice. Now only if scripting didn't require so many workarounds to be stable.

Also thanks for the spotlight.
      The Omicron and ExTerrestr1al like this.
    4. Nitro
      Nitro
      I agree @ExTerrestr1al - it may not be a full fledged feature, but at least it helps spread the exposure of the cool content.
      ExtraSpicyMemes likes this.
    5. ExtraSpicyMemes
      ExtraSpicyMemes
      I almost feel like it is, elevators are possible because of this, before it was so choppy it wasn't worth it. I've always wanted to build a working elevator in forge since the day I started. This also allows it in linear infection, the place smooth scripting is needed most, this allows many of us to do concepts we just couldn't do because of the game engine.
      ExTerrestr1al and Nitro like this.
    6. Nitro
      Nitro
      I thought that elevator was smooth AF. Good work on that!
      ExTerrestr1al likes this.
    7. ExTerrestr1al
      ExTerrestr1al
      when you get really complex with your sequences, things creep up that you've never found before. Some workarounds may be necessary, but some of them are "workarounds" of your mind and how you think it should work, to train it that it doesn't work that way. (some things arguably should work the way we assume, but many should not necessarily)

For instance, I am doing a very simple pre-fab that I want to get published, and I thought I was 99% done last night but I created problems I now need to solve. I created those problems by asking the game to do something illogical or out of order...

I did discover a new "feature" of the game engine, similar to the whole "pre-round during intros" fiasco...

New scripting nugget:
      Anything told to despawn on a timer, if that timer has a delay shorter than the 13 intro to the match, will despawn and never respawn unless forced by another script. To avoid this, put a 13 sec delay on any "on timer" despawns especially if they are supposed to happen at the start.

The need for 13 sec delays on some things isn't new, but knowing that it will despawn items and never let them respawn, is news to me at least.
    8. ExtraSpicyMemes
      ExtraSpicyMemes

See though, end users shouldn't have to deal with that, we shouldn't have to deal with logic errors causing message scripts not sending, its not fair. Almost all the time spent scripting is with workarounds or bugs that are not always our fault, its often worth the tradeoff but still. No end user should have to figure out oh timer scripts on the start of a round wont work if less than the intro.
      ExTerrestr1al likes this.
    9. ExTerrestr1al
      ExTerrestr1al
      it's true there should be much better document, for sure!

I do give them some leeway, however, considering some of the scripting stuff was added after the fact and they wouldn't have necessarily known all the ways it could impact the game and vice versa.

I'm still really curious about this whole "messages won't send" issue. perhaps you could give me more detail in a PM?
    10. Shooty Person
      Shooty Person
      46A3D53C-5BDE-4C14-8194-2F78150C3F78.jpeg I’m not out yet!
      GrayishPoppy210 likes this.
    11. ExTerrestr1al
      ExTerrestr1al
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
      a Chunk likes this.
    12. GreyMuffinBass
      GreyMuffinBass
      Awesome spartan selfie on this post, Ascend!
      looks pro.
      missing the puns tho!! :3
      Nitro and Shooty Person like this.
    13. Generai PUG
    14. Foge
      Foge
      Omi weekly updates > Ascend weekly updates
    15. Ryouji Gunblade
      Ryouji Gunblade
      That Cinder pic is either a teaser or a troll. Stay tuned!
    16. brusky0086
      brusky0086
      Welcome New Members;)