The future of Forge

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Alex Parsons, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Alex Parsons

Alex Parsons ONI Agent

What do you think forging will be like in the future?

The reason I ask is because I am starting up a Spartan Company, and before I begin actively recruiting, I thought it would be good to get a better sense of where the community thinks Forge is headed. So I'm curious.

How do you think future technology will impact people's approach to forging?

Do you think it's possible that the Forge tool can become so advanced that the idea of forging a map to matchmaking standards could be overwhelming, even to experienced forgers? Maybe even downright intimidating to someone who has never forged a day in their life?

If you were 343i right now, what would you do to try to get more people to use Forge? How would you keep their attention in the long term?

Kawecki 22 likes this.
  2. Yevah

Yevah Mythic

Continue to die until forge is released on Halo 6. It's sad to think if Halo 6 is out next year we probably won't get forge for a year and a half to two years. Assuming forge isn't released on launch that is

Forge will boom for another year and will begin to die again. Only to be resurrected in H3A. After a year of H3A forge, it will finally fade to its inevitable end along with Halo.

Given To Fly and AceOfSpades like this.
  3. Alex Parsons

Alex Parsons ONI Agent

I was thinking maybe they could add something new to Forge. Like a "design doc" element or something. But I see you went the other way there. It's a bold choice, if not an original one.

4. Alex Parsons

Alex Parsons ONI Agent

But you know what? Just for the sake of argument, what if Halo 6 comes out and it is what it is.. But then Halo 6 Forge comes out and it’s so good that it makes Halo 5 look like a box of crayons.
    What if the next Forge is so good that the community can make H3A all by themselves?

5. Toastman

Toastman Promethean
    Forge Critic Senior Member

My barely educated guess is that H6 forge is an extension of H5 forge.

They invested SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY post-launch into developing this toolset into a beast. They ported it and the customs browser to PC, which is a crazy precedent, and the number of expansions for items, features and more is also unprecedented in the console space.

They borrowed dev time from the halo sandbox team to further develop scripting 2.0 which was awesome, brought in the REQ system items, and designed a fully fledged custom games browser.

They would be foolish to start from scratch again. Iterate some major updates into this tech (AI, UI/UX control, netcode updates, firefight/warzone logic, etc) and throw it into Halo 6. I have every confidence the next Halo will use the same engine since it has scalable tech, albeit with enhancements where they chose to invest time.

Imagine if all of our maps just...work with Halo 6, but with the ability to update them into the new feature set.

6. fame28

fame28 Forgotten Treasure

7. Portaleer

Portaleer THE FORGERUNNER
    Staff Member Forge Critic

I couldn't have said it better, @Toastman.

Kawecki 22 likes this.
  8. HeX Reapers

HeX Reapers ONI Agent

I wouldn't call that a "barely educated guess", that sounds spot on lol.

Kawecki 22 likes this.
  9. fame28

fame28 Forgotten Treasure

Thinking about it now though, it would make sense they gave it to us for free on PC. They could say that we can import the disc map files to other 3d / map editors, see how they are built, build our own and export them a specific file type. If they allow custom full editor built maps on the pc to start, they can slowly integrate them into the console. It would be better for them if they said it had to pull file textures from a specific folder from the Halo game (campaign, multiplayer or warzone) otherwise it would put a default solid (neutral) color in it's place. That would avoid having anime/ D%$@'s images all over the maps... lol

10. Xandrith

Xandrith Spartan III

It doesn't matter if Forge becomes the most powerful map editor in existence if Halo continues to suck.

11. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    343 Industries Forge Critic Creative Force

My guess is that forge will release a couple months late after the populations has died, only release with half the features that it should and then only 25% of it will be brought back half-assed and then give us every animal known in the world before all of the primitive blocks. Oh, and you'll have to buy the new xbox for it to run forge.

Just a wild guess.

Yevah and Xandrith like this.
  12. MrGreenWithAGun

MrGreenWithAGun Legendary

1. Make Forge available on every platform for FREE.
    2. Make Halo 1, 2, & 3 on every platform for FREE.
    a) Make those titles play just as we remember.
    3. Make the entire system never require a connection to a server.
    4. Keep coming out with new DLC for FREE.
    5. Hold forging contests.
    6. Host a web site to allow people to start their own forums/communities like Bungie did circa Reach.
    7. Provide tutorial videos and have an employee provide answers about the entire system (forge and game).
    And this is really important to reduce any feeling of disenfranchisement:
    8. Put up an automated voting system and eliminate the community cartographer.

13. Alex Parsons

Alex Parsons ONI Agent

I disagree. The more I like the game, the longer it takes me to even think about forging. If I really thought this games sucks then I would have a lot more maps finished.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  14. Xandrith

Xandrith Spartan III

You can disagree all you want, but the proof is in the pudding.

Halo 3 had the shittiest forge to date, and the largest community to date. Why do you think that was?

15. Alex Parsons

Alex Parsons ONI Agent

I can only speak for myself. I made about 30 maps back in Halo 3. That’s easily six times more than I've made since. But that doesn't mean that I like Halo 3 six times more than all the other games.

Just what does the size of the community have to do with it? I don't need anyone else's approval or their permission to forge.

What if 343i added forgeable time machines? Would that make you happy? Believe me dude you're not the oby person who wishes it was still 2008.

16. HeX Reapers

HeX Reapers ONI Agent

Are you implying that it's a bad thing to want to be in a time when Halo was still relevant?

MrGreenWithAGun and Xandrith like this.
  17. Alex Parsons

Alex Parsons ONI Agent

Not at all. I'm saying that Halo 3 was relevant because the players made it relevant.

Forge changed the definition of what it means to be a Halo player.

18. HeX Reapers

HeX Reapers ONI Agent

The point that's Xandrith is trying to make though is that Halo's current gameplay is the main contender as to why it's going down the shitter. The relevance and population clearly shows that as an objective opinion.

The reason players make a game relevant is because it's A GOOD GAME. Forge is not going to turn the tide in any way shape or form. Like he said, you could have the best Forge in the world but it won't do **** if the game itself is awful.

There's no insentive to create levels for a game that infuriates you to no end.

Xandrith likes this.
  19. Alex Parsons

Alex Parsons ONI Agent

Are you implying that there's not point to forging unless you want to be a level designer?

20. HeX Reapers

HeX Reapers ONI Agent

Not at all, but the majority of what made this franchise relevant in the multiplayer department was the casual-competitive to competitive aspects.

Never did I even mention anything about the purely casual side of the game, or franchise rather, because other than Infection and Mini games H5 has no casual side. Which is ironic in the end, because its competitive plays like ass even though it's all they cared about.

Getting slightly off topic, the point is the masses have left for a reason. Without a good base game, Forge is going to do nothing to help Halo as a whole. I'm hoping in the future 343 figures this out, or they just make us happy and make H3A.

#20 HeX Reapers, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Given To Fly likes this.