So how about that election?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by darkprince909, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Promethean
    Forge Critic Senior Member

For the record, I still hate Obama. Did I mention Obamacare? Yeah, it sucks.

2. SaltyKoala

SaltyKoala Mythic

You guys still thinking a presidential face means anything? Lol I honestly feel for you all.

You get up and howl about america and democracy.
    There is no america there is no democracy...
    We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies.
    The world is a college of corporations... inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business.
    The world is a business.

3. SaltyKoala

SaltyKoala Mythic

4. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

Trump was very down to Earth in his election speech, and people do say it was white collar voters that made this happen. Aka someone doesn't have to be stupid to vote for trump, they just have to believe in the opinion. Which is that the U.S. Government needs to focus on what's "important" to him and his supporters.

5. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member Temporarily Banned

Well, I don't like Trump, and I especially dislike his policy stances, but I dislike even more the hyper partisanship that threatens the stability of our country and its democratic process. All the same, Trump could turn out alright. I've been wrong before, and I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong about Trump. Hoping for a pleasant surprise with him.

One should strive to be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

6. Yevah

Yevah Mythic

Who knows what Trump will do as President. I know he said a lot of things and has policies but this was the same man who was a democrat 10 years ago. A lot of people particularly women, LGBT, the black community, and Muslim-Americans are afraid. I say give this man a chance, he may surprise everyone as he did by winning the election. I think a lot of people are being overly dramatic by thinking this means the end of the world. It'll either be the same old **** with just a different President, or who knows, he may surprise everyone and be the person this country desperately needs.

Xandrith and SecretSchnitzel like this.
  7. Grif

Grif Na'vi Tits

I am not as worried about Mr Trump as I am about a Republican complete control of the Federal government.

8. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Promethean

It's about damn time! No more free ride bitches!

Dealt with Obamas BS for almost a decade now. Fuh da bih!

9. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

It's a little concerning that America had two candidates with shady as **** histories.
    Trump - A trail of lawsuits to get what he wants, his university/institution scandals, tax evasion, buddy buddy with the russians, numerous sexual harassment cases.
    Clinton - Federal investigation, connection with Saudis and Wall St.

On one side you've got a man with shitty values in general, outlandish policy + potentially damaging economic policy
    versus a woman who pretends to be socially progressive but is actually a central cog in the establishment.

I'm not sure this election was the time for people to throw in their anti-establishment votes though. The man who ****s a large portion of smaller people to get his success just doesn't seem very likely to even attempt taking on the bigger, let alone wining. Obviously Clinton won't change **** there but at least you'd get economic security and you wouldn't be setting a dangerous moral precedent voting in a **** of a person for President lmao.

Good luck guys, praying that human decency gets in the way of his anti-minority policies somewhere and that his isolationist stance and 'hardline' approach tears out some of the rot in the ME and corporate machine at least.

SecretSchnitzel likes this.
  10. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Promethean

Economic security?...

I'm pretty sure Obama screwed us into plenty debt & she was pretty much going to continue his presidency. Basically Obamas 3rd term.

He doubled the debt to 20 trillion from 10 trillion when he took office as a matter of fact.

The $20 trillion man! Google it!

#30 Zombievillan, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  11. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

Trump won't fix your debt. Actually, his spending proprosals throughout the campaign were loftier than Clinton. His tax reforms are going to have you guys losing revenue in the trillions, and guess what? The debt's going to hike ^^^^^^^^^^ Pluuuuus, his tax cuts for big businesses are apparently going to spark growth which will eventually pay for the cuts? Wow, it baffles me that people actually still believe in trickle down economics. It. Doesn't. Trickle. Down. It won't be sustainable. You'll either cop the increasing debt or cop cuts to your 'medicare' and social security.

His plan to decrease regulation? Ha. Great idea. More tolerance of monopoly power and less competition. Deregulation under Bush and Reagan didn't create growth either. The man has 0 understanding of monetary policy and you're going to cop high interest rates, an unstable fed, and a government that won't enact expansionary fiscal policy when needed. For international trade? All those renegotiated trade deals and tariffs are going to cost you a tonne of jobs.

Clinton sure as hell didn't present a plan to bring debt down to a sustainable level, but it's not AS unsustainable ahahah. Security was probably the wrong word. Nonetheless, imo you're never getting out of that hole that's been dug, there's other economic measures to consider.

p.s as an Australian with a shitty liberal (not left here, liberal stands for 'free market') government. There are actually a lot of comparisons to draw which has me very hesitant to see what Trump's term brings. Hope for the best hey?

#31 RegrettedKarma6, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  12. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Promethean

K

13. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

All i'm gonna say is listen to his acceptance speech, and watch his celebrity apprentice episodes. Because he used his bigotry and racism to get in office, he can cast off his cloak of hate. He is down to Earth now, some of the things he said were almost insanity for him, lol. I believe he used racism to leverage a position to get into office, outside of that, he is a wise man.

SecretSchnitzel likes this.
  14. SecretSchnitzel

How are we not friends? First person I've seen here that actually understandsee the economy. Color me impressed .

15. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Promethean

I don't truly believe he is racist. It's one thing to say I don't like Mexicans but it's different to say we don't want illegal immigrants here. I agree that it shouldn't be so easy for illegals to come over so easily. Over here in West Texas they aren't coming in & taking the cheap yard cutting jobs, well they are but they also have flooded the oilfield jobs here as well. Good paying jobs. We also can't deny that it's that easy so terrorists get in just as easy from any border & that should be dealt with.

BodeyBode likes this.
  16. SecretSchnitzel

Hopped on my computer so I can write up a better response.

The debt. The ****ing debt. I am sick and tired of having to flog this dead horse, but I'll do it again here. We have no paid off the debt in almost 200 years now. We won't be paying of the debt ever again either, and that's not a bad thing. No. What's important is not the nominal value of debt, but rather the debt to gdp ratio and interest expense coverage ratio. At the end of the day, it's about maintaining these ratios within a range that appeals to institutional investors that buy our treasury bonds, and frankly, they're willing to accept a much higher level of debt to gdp than what we currently have.

As for the debt and Trump... This is the one thing I'm least concerned about. Watch now as a Republican controlled Congress backs away from their austerity based rhetoric on the debt and let loose the purse strings to back the expansionary fiscal policy we've so desperately needed these past 8 years now. My only beef with Trump's economic policy is his plan for simplifying the tax brackets and slashing them far lower than what is necessary. The Corporate Tax rate should be slashed to 25%, not 15%, and the it's the bottom 3 Income Tax Brackets that should be lowered, not the highest 4. As income grows, the Marginal Propensity to Spend decreases while the Marginal Propensity to Save [Invest] increases. This results in greater levels of capital not being spent into circulation in the real economy, but rather being "hoarded" in the over-valued financial markets. By taxing these higher income levels to greater extents, we're not "stealing" or "squandering" money, but reallocating it to better economic purposes by insuring it gets spent into the real economy.

As for Monetary Policy, which Trump has decried on multiple occasions... There are three ways a Central Bank (we actually have a Federation of National Banks instead; hence the name 'Federal' Reserve): The Fed can use three tools to achieve its monetary policy goals: the discount rate (interest rate), reserve requirements (amount banks hold in reserve at the Fed), and open market operations (buying and selling bonds and treasury notes to influence the interest rate). All three affect the amount of funds in the banking system. The discount rate is the interest rate Reserve Banks charge commercial banks for short-term loans. Of those three, the Fed relies on the third one, as the others are considered too powerful and inherently dangerous to be used on a whim. The purpose of Monetary Policy is to effect the funds available in the banking system and to encourage monetary expansion by the provision of more capital through attractive interest rates, or to slow the economy by decreasing the demand of capital through higher less attractive interest rates. In response to a recession, lending dries up at the current rate and needs to be restored else the economy would enter a deflationary death spiral, and this is accomplished through the actions of the FOMC to lower the interest rate.

Any questions?

17. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Promethean

K.

18. SaltyKoala

SaltyKoala Mythic

I don't agree with all points made in the video, I just find it funny Donald Trump called out the BS that was the official 9/11 explanation. Baffles me to this day people actually beleive a Muslim terrorist group was the only group responsible for 9/11. Can't wait to see if this is brought up during his presidency because clearly he wasn't buying NIST explanations.

MrGreenWithAGun likes this.
  19. SecretSchnitzel

Sooooo let me get this straight, you ***** about something you have no fundamental understanding of, and when someone with a strong background in the subject comes along to explain it in a civil manner, you dismiss it? Yeah, that's cute.

If you refuse to educate yourself on a subject, you have ZERO ****ing business moaning about it.

AnonomissX and Dunco like this.
  20. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Promethean

K.

I can't debate with you on something you know much more detail about than I do. Remember I didn't go to school for that crap so I can care less about your fancy educated blabbering.

What I can say is it's no good to spend away regardless & even though I know Trump won't or isn't even capable of getting us out of debt (it's impossible at this point) you can't say it's good for our country to be in $20,000,000,000,000 debt. Spend spend spend & then fuhq over the people working hard for their money by taking as much away from them as possible & giving it to a bunch of worthless free loaders looking for handouts. **** that & **** Obama. I don't give a damn about how the economics work just get your hand out of my pocket & let me have the money I worked hard for. It doesn't have to be rocket science.

I know that's what you know, finance & stuff & that's good for you but I'm sick of all the democratic BS we've been going through. Go ahead & use your big words & belittle me on the subject that's fine but as long as Obamacare is murdered & the government eases up on robbing the workers in this nation I'm totally fine with looking like an idiot in yours & regretted's eyes.