SmudBud89's INSANE H2 Colossus Remake!

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by HugoCornellier, Mar 14, 2016.

1. HugoCornellier

HugoCornellier ONI Agent

Serious shoutout to SmudBud89 for this incredible Colossus remake. Seriously top notch. One of the best forge maps I've seen so far.

leegeorgeton likes this.
  2. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

You probably need to look around a bit more as ""Best forge maps I've seen so far" might be a stretch in this place.

I'll give them a, "good job :yes:" though.

3. HugoCornellier

HugoCornellier ONI Agent

Seriously? This Colossus is literally top notch. It's near-perfect as far as remakes come.

4. BodeyBode

BodeyBode Promethean

Layout wise it looks like it matches up well. The scaling seems to match as well. The aesthetics on the other hand are unimpressive imo. I personally think unsc themes are boring and lazy.

N3gat1veZer0 likes this.
  5. DocMan

DocMan Promethean

Nice details in there.

6. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Yes seriously. I didn't say it was bad in any way, I just said it wasn't a best in class. There are plenty of really nice remakes that just get slaughtered on this site. Do you feel it is up to this quality? http://www.forgehub.com/maps/high-citadel.1285/ If not, then you can imagine someone either has or will build something better than what you have shown here. Again I would like to state not bad, just not a "best forge map ever seen" As I stated previously, it's still a good job :yes:

MultiLockOn and thefro3po like this.
  7. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

It's okay, he over-hypes everything he posts, I've kinda just accepted that it is how he is.

Personally, not a fan of this remake. The aesthetic is bad compared to the original and it is too distracting in areas.

MultiLockOn likes this.
  8. MstrBlonde

MstrBlonde Legendary

Maybe it's just the video, but the color and lighting choices leave a lot to be desired. The layout looks good though, so it's something easily remedied.

Is the map creator a member of this site? He might get some helpful and constructive feedback if he submits the map himself, if he hasn't done it already.

HugoCornellier likes this.
  9. HugoCornellier

HugoCornellier ONI Agent

This is the map creator - http://www.forgehub.com/members/vagmoli.80419/

10. JoeDannyMan

JoeDannyMan Legendary

Wow, tough crowd on this site. The snobbiness and pretentiousness of the community here really speaks for itself.

As for the map, I think it's a great remake! Although to be honest Colossus was one of my least favorite Halo 2 maps, I still appreciate dedicated forging.

PharmaGangsta1 and Xandrith like this.
  11. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

If you see snobbiness and pretension then you're obviously not paying attention.

Aschur and Chronmeister like this.
  12. SaltyKoala

SaltyKoala Mythic

The map isn't that great astheitic wise. Its clean and easily readable. Thats great, but its not "best map ever" quality.
    Should we pe patting everyone on the back? Lol

MultiLockOn likes this.
  13. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Well, we should pat everyone on the back for their efforts, just not parade them around on a chair.

MultiLockOn likes this.
  14. SaltyKoala

SaltyKoala Mythic

Fair enough haha

Preacher001 likes this.
  15. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Promethean
    Forge Critic Banned Senior Member

You came in making bold claims of "one of the best forge maps so far".. On a forging website. THE forging website mind you. There's a lot of quality content here. If someone doesn't think it's up to par they don't have to just sit in silence and not disagree with you.

For the record, I think the map aesthetically is below par. I wouldn't have even said that if you hadn't reacted the way you did.

16. Xandrith

Xandrith Spartan III

Who the hell cares if he labels it one of the best maps he has seen so far? What if he truly believes that or he just hasn't seen that many maps? I would understand the responses if he said It was the best map, but he didn't. He said it was one of the best maps HE HAS SEEN so far.

Sometimes you people are ****ing unbearable.

#16 Xandrith, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  17. SaltyKoala

SaltyKoala Mythic

Who cares what we think? People share their opinions, its the internet.

MultiLockOn likes this.
  18. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Am I the only one that started smirking after they read @Xandrith 's comment. ;)

#18 Preacher001, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    HugoCornellier likes this.
  19. xzamplez

xzamplez Mythic

This is a community with plenty of passionate, brutally honest people. Constructive criticism is one of the most important aspects of producing quality content.

I do see how you could interpret the comments as negative and pretentious, but there is reason behind their complaints.

Also, using phrases as bold as "One of the best forge map I've seen so far." is bound to result in some backlash.

In terms of scale, this remake seems well-done.

deadlyshotz247 and MultiLockOn like this.
  20. vagmoli

vagmoli ONI Agent

Creator here. Tough crowd for sure but I understand why. "One of the best forge maps I've seen so far." is a really bold claim and I know it's not up to the title. My plan with this remake was to visually improve upon my original submission (http://www.forgehub.com/maps/helios.1279/), which I think we can all agree I achieved. My intentions now are to further improve the map,
    That's the type of feedback I'm after and I'm well aware that my lighting is... well it's there but that's about it. There's no depth or atmosphere to it and is what I will focus on next. Some tips here would be appreciated, though in the meantime I believe I will dig deeper into others' maps to get a better sense of design.

Multiple posters agree the scaling is good and that was my focus in the original blocky version and the only discrepencies between then and now are to do with object sizing limitations but I would say the scaling is still about 95% correct and I'm content with that.
    1) UNSC themes are boring - I realise all 'Accents' are UNSC themed and this makes it easy to plonk a few down and be done with it, hence boring. Which is kind of what I did. The reasoning behind this was due to map sizing. This map is quite large and for a theme other than UNSC requires many more objects for the same effect (correct me if I'm wrong) and given that I am constrained in terms of layout, I do not have the required objects to make this feasible: That's the reason why the best non UNSC maps are generally 2v2 maps right?

2) Aesthetics - I can understand some areas being a bit too distracting. Perhaps I've used too many shiny/detailed pieces and I suppose the blunt comments above weren't exactly being directed at me and thus perhaps why they aren't exactly constructive in any manner. I want to make this map the best I possibly can so by all means fire away just give me something constructive I can work with - Why do you think the aesthetics are below par? What do/don't you like about it? A general sense of direction can go a long way to me improving the overall design and hopefully this is exactly what will happen in the coming weeks. Nonetheless, I appreciate the comments and look forward to improving my forging skills. Cheers.