Smooth PHASED rotation technique

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by ExTerrestr1al, Nov 29, 2018.

1. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Spartan III

Here is something I worked with @Yumudas Beegbut to find a few months back, but I've unfortunately been busy and lazy... my apologies.

Copy paste version cuz like I said... lazy and it's not like that many people will read it ;)

HINT: To save scripts and for your programming efficiency, use the provided Object labels (ex. User Alpha - Zulu) to distinguish your object, and then using a separate object (script brain, joint ball, etc.) scripting it to rotate as the OBJECT in that script. If several pieces in a group, they must be welded and the axis piece the parent and the one possessing the User label OBJECT. Sometimes it is useful to add the Selection Mod - "Group: Siblings [Add]" or label them all with the same User label.

SMOOTH PHASED (Dual-action, offset) One script

An example of what is usually the slowest 99-100% smooth. Any faster is perfectly smooth, unless the game just hiccups for a second, which cannot be controlled. Too fast, and you will see things start to go a little nuts as the game cannot keep track of what is going on. SAME can happen if you do too many pieces rotating, period. (of any technique, but this is the most forgiving)

Script 1
    On TImer Initial = Should have something here, this type of rotation seems to be better if started slightly after the map has fully loaded and stuff.
    Repeat .20 (sometimes .40), but must be x2 compared to following actions
    Action 1
    Rotate y=4.5
    Time=.10

Action2
    Rotation y=4.75
    Time=.10
    Interrupt On

This small offfset between the two actions makes the game constantly need to reevaluate how the thing is moving and send information back to the client so you see it again. Otherwise, motion is always smooth on the server side. That's the problem. You must have two values for yoru rotation that are as close to each other as possible, so that this difference is not noticeable, so you can see how going too slow, where we only have .25 increments can be a problem. Therefore, this is best for medium to fast speed stuff, and not too large of scale.

(a few axes at once, still just 1 script)

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/exterrestr1al/video/61181813

#1 ExTerrestr1al, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 11:53 PM
  2. NOKYARD

NOKYARD GrifballHub
    Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

Can you elaborate on the "SMOOTH PHASED (Dual-action, offset) One script, (you probably know this, but instruct it to move remotely via a brain or something)" part?

Some forgers may not be familiar with TARGET scripts. Maybe show screen shots of the scripts & Labels on both the parent and target items.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  3. ExTerrestr1al

good call... it was originally written for Foge, who knows some stuff like this, I"m sure. Then it was just a copy pasta w/ the idea that probably no one is around to read it, but i'll go ahead and polish this up a bit ;)

@NOKYARD I added the additional desc. above.

#3 ExTerrestr1al, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 11:42 PM
  4. DrDreidelBerg

Im shocked something so damn simple was not discovered earlier, much to my surprise it works smoothly on high budget maps.

5. ExTerrestr1al

I know, trust me. that is my feeling as well. it's not brilliant, so much as pathetic :p there are some more operational limits if you go large-platform for players and stuff, but for asthetic pieces going med-fast it is great.

Wait tiill you see how stupid simple the (new) smooth linear motion is...

6. ExTerrestr1al

@CHa0s

Regarding your questions...

The hint above refers to adding a label to at least the parent object and then welding it. Then, if you use a different object (Brain) to tell that labelled object to move, you're golden.

Your old build did not work because you literally instructed each independent piece to rotate "This", and you want "Label Add = User Label x"

But, very large contraptions like 256x floors may not work well with this method, unfortunately. The tiny jitters will be noticeable at larger scales... :( depends on your exact speed etc.

7. CHa0s

CHa0s Spartan III

Thanks, man, I think I know what you are saying, hopping on to dink around with it now. I'm totally ok with it jittering, I just want it to work! I have ideas.

Side note but relevant to this thread, when I went to the video link above, which blew my mind on it's own (I don't even know what you made that spinny thing with?), xboxdvr autoplayed to the next vid and I couldn't believe how beautiful these wheels are. I had to double check and make sure I was looking at a video of Halo 5 Forge!

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/exterrestr1al/video/60767816

I saw that and I was like, "Maybe this guy knows a little something about rotating groups in forge..." heh heh.

8. CHa0s

CHa0s Spartan III

Is there a way to stop the timer and start it back up again?

Edit: I think I know a way, have a script that makes labeled object "Wait" some time into the rotating, either by timer or message recieved, then use a different script with a timer that has a delay that doesn't start until you want the group/object to start rotating again.

But still wondering if there's a way to do this with a message recieved, since unfortunately we can't repeat action unless using the timer :/

9. ExTerrestr1al

Thanks, that is a gearset designed by @Omni42 and I was trying to help with. the video you linked shows the upper limits of grouped rotation. on his full map, even this #1 technique described in this thread starts to fall apart with that many items moving simultaneously. His map unfortunately, was just asking too much of the game.

It was when trying to fix his gears that I and @Yumudas Beegbut found this new nugget of info.

10. ExTerrestr1al

this is where you get a little more advanced so you have more control over the setup...

The easiest thing to do is probably to make the script brain that is instructing the rotating group, to despawn when you want the rotation turned off. You'll also need to mark the Rotate scripts with "Always On = Off".

How you despawn the brain and switch the behavior on/off at that point, is up to you!

CHa0s likes this.