Should cultural appropriation be irrelevant when discussing art or clothing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Preacher001, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

The title says it all. I find myself getting really frustrated with a lot of topics and this is one of them. The way it's spoken about with massive arguements and movements on the topic. SJW's that barely have a culture of their own out for blood at every corner.

As a straight white 40+'er I am immediatly blacklisted from virtually every conversation piece unless it's about how white mayonaise is. Still I feel the need to partake in the discussion, and even though forgehub doesn't quite have the largest racial diversity (hapenstance) I'm still curious of where you all stand on this topic.

To repeat: Should cultural appropriation be irrelevant when discussing art or clothing?

ACTIVATE HALO and Xandrith like this.
  2. InvokingTexan

InvokingTexan Spartan I

Short answer: tentatively, no. Cultural appropriation should not be irrelevant when discussing art, or clothing.

Long answer: nearly every western society in the past two thousand years has appropriated an aspect of medium, or technique seen in another culture to incorporate into their own creative expressions. One example would be the Catholic painting titled, "Judith Beheading Holofernes". The artist was Michelangelo da Caravaggio, a white man, and recently a black female named Kehinde Wiley reworked the original concept with a post modernist interpretation. Just as I have no issue with white artists appropriating concepts from nonwhite artists, I have no issue with black artists doing the same.

Art, and clothing, is much like philosophy: it is the grand culmination of hundreds of individuals building upon previous collective information to draft, edit, and finalize their interpretations of the current world. Where I would have issue is the indifference of not acknowledging the foundations established by the forefathers of their field. Those people labored to create a framework for others to use, such as John Locke with empiricism and Pierre-Auguste Renoir with impressionism. Give proper credit, note inspiration, and carry on. Do not sweat the small stuff, because there are children in tenth world countries that are literally starving to death. But that is just my take... as an early twenty plus year old straight brown male.

The aforementioned can be applied to clothing, but art interests me more than colored fabric. Then again, traditional art is just colored parchment or paper. MIND. IMPLOSION. I have a question for you, Preacher. Why are you compelled to discuss such a complex topic on ForgeHub, you slave holding imperialistic intolerant gay-bashing straight white misogynist male? ;)

#2 InvokingTexan, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. ACTIVATE HALO

"Cultural appropriation" is perfectly fine. Shouldn't shame anyone for simply incorporating parts of a foreign culture. Personally I don't care if it's offensive or not either (not including bigoted hate).

It's just another bullshit term that shouldn't be used at all as it is only used to sperate cultures and people.

purely fat, Xandrith and Preacher001 like this.
  4. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

This is pretty close to how I feel.

See my problem with cultural appropriation when it comes to art and clothing is that you're average person isn't exactly in touch with what is supposed to be their culture. More to the point artists take from the world around them to produce their art. When an artist see's another cultures art there are many things that they can take from it. For some it's a deep dive into that culture and it's forms of expression, which in some cases takes years, for others it's a little more simple in that they like the shapes/colors/styles or content.

For some the journey into other cultures touch them on a very personal level and they wish to share it with others. Why should they be shamed for their inspiration from that cultures art. Does one cultures symbolic imagery have to be interpreted by every other culture the same way? I mean we're not slowing down turning cows into steaks just because an other culture views them as a holy creature. Why should art be so scrutinized?

As for clothing I classify it as a form of expression which I associate with art. For some it can seem to barely register as such but for others it's like every article of clothing has a purpose and meaning. My problem is it's pretty easy to point at a person and shout cultural appropriation without realizing that persons heritage, their place of birth, their ethnicity or the depths at which they have taken to understand the culture of who's cloths they adorn themselves with. Cultures have been blending and reshaping each other for millennia and it's only now that the pace has sped to the point where you can't tell that someone is one third this or one eighth that.

If society can so easily stand behind gender identification (which borders on mentally unstable) how is it that they can't understand how people may find their personal expression in another cultures art and clothing.

PS. I also classify music under this banner.

5. ACTIVATE HALO

Yep, it's just people who want to feel superior to others. Either by artificially raising their own moral high ground or labeling themselves names/ identities and claiming that because of that they are more important.

While I'm a centrist and don't want to make this decision political I think it would be disingenuous to not bring up how these people are always left leaning. This is probably due to the limitations more right wing people empose opon them selves and communities.

6. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Ya, you lose me at the whole, left wing right wing stuff. I don't get into politics and I also find the whole your side of the fence my side of the fence concept a bit limiting in it's description.

7. ACTIVATE HALO

I agree. I literally said that.

Preacher001 likes this.
  8. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Um excuse me, are you judging me by my attention span. I was literally running out the door.

tumblr_n0whi3XkET1s9px0ao1_250.gif

9. ACTIVATE HALO

Lol Sass!

(I read that in an entitled Californian girls voice... I don't know why...)

10. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Because that's the way it was intended, but then I brought it back around with the emo hair flip.

11. ACTIVATE HALO

Right.

This...this whole conversation is rather bizarre.

12. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

You're aware that you're on ForgeHub right? It's ok, just ease into the crazy.

#12 Preacher001, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  13. ACTIVATE HALO

Lol True.

I swear, some of the **** that happens is worthy of a TV drama.

Preacher001 likes this.
  14. Dunco

Dunco Troll Whisperer
    Forge Critic

Wow. Just wow.

You culturally appropriated my Maguier gif