Script rotate groups? And magnets question.

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by CHa0s, Dec 9, 2018.

1. CHa0s

CHa0s Spartan III

Hoping some tricks exist for a couple things I've never been able to work out in Forge.

First question: Is there a magical way to get magnets to work where I want them? lol. It never ceases to amaze me how I can have two identical objects right next to each other, and the one I've got wants to go stick to something 50 units over "there". Specifically, I couldn't get trim to magnet onto each other. I can't count the amount of time I've spent manually micro-moving pieces together, hundreds and hundreds - thousands! - of pieces, probably of hours, over the years because they wouldn't magnetize.

Also, is there a way to get groups of objects to rotate together as if they're one unit? I don't care so much if they wiggle and you can tell they're different pieces, I just want them to rotate together as a unit, and not each piece attempt to rotate on it's own axis. I tried welding, but that was a no go. Basically I grouped the pieces, then scripted them to rotate. Next I was going to try to just script the center piece, then group and weld the others on afterwards but I didn't think of that until just now.

My fingers are so crossed right now. Either or both would be an amazing relief.

II SEGA USA II likes this.
  2. II SEGA USA II

II SEGA USA II Recruit

As far as magnets go keeping them set to the default setting has the best results and make sure you set the snap grid to none for units measured.
    If you have a grid unit set up it will always override the magnets.

Second grab the object at the edge you want aligned and hold and drag to the circle dot you want to snap to. If you accurately grab the dot circle of the first block they should snap 100% of the time to where you link it to.

Also don't add to many blocks or objects within a small amount of geo space. If you do the magnets will glitch out and sometimes not work at all.

For fine tuning a magnet some times you can tap the analog sticks up or down around the edge of a block and spam the realign trigger that snaps the magnet.

As far as rotating groups, yes that's easy. Highlight a primary block that's aligned to the starting map grid. 45, 90 degrees. Everything will rotate around this block.

Then select all the other blocks you want to group with that block. Then hit up on the d paid to group.

Now set your rotation snap to 45 degrees.

Move your screen view absolutely level with original primary object. The camera can not be angled.

Next hold your rotation trigger and while holding use you analog sticks to select the angle of your rotation.

The object group should now rotate around the primary block at the angle of 45 degrees.

Having the right angle snap, being level, and selecting the right primary block is key to rotating groups.

I also had a friend that would rotate groups of objects with a script using the pivot peice. He would rotate the pelican around the pivotal script assest then he would link the other objects to the pelican.

a Chunk likes this.
  3. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Spartan III

II SEGA USA II likes this.
  4. CHa0s

CHa0s Spartan III

I am dumbfounded that I did not realize magnets react to snap grid settings. Geez, I really hope this makes a difference. And what?!! You can choose which magnet you want to use?!! See, this is why I ask the questions, lol. If I can get this to work, it will change my forge life.

Omw to check that out right now.

Thanks, guys!

5. CHa0s

CHa0s Spartan III

@ExTerrestr1al I am confused...

I am absolutely unfamiliar with Object lables. If I understand correctly, and those can be used to where I don't have to manually add the same scripts to different objects, I'm blown away. But yeah, I can't comprehend what the "HINT:" paragraph is saying.

That aside, on my map I had a 256x256x2 piece, and then about 18 pieces welded to it, and when I turned scripting on, each piece was rotating on it's own axis instead of it all rotating together. Any ideas what could've caused this?

I'm so excited to think I could actually get this to work, it seems too much to be true lol.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  6. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Spartan III

going to answer the question in the other thread so relevant help stays together in one place...

CHa0s likes this.