SCARABEUS [WIP]

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Buddy Jumps, Jan 26, 2017.

1. ZombieDyer

ZombieDyer ONI Agent

2. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Promethean
    Forge Critic Banned Senior Member

3. ZombieDyer

ZombieDyer ONI Agent

so it's the plot to avp in space?

4. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Naah. ;P If you look at the second picture you see that the insects have died out, too, since at some point there weren't any more hosts they could infect.

#5 Buddy Jumps, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  5. ZombieDyer

ZombieDyer ONI Agent

aye

6. The Omicron

The Omicron a permabanned Amish boy
    Staff Member Forge Critic Senior Member

Eager to give this a go, Looking good Buddy! Its always nice to see a nonjumping/minigame map from you ;)

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  7. REMkings

REMkings BIOC
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I'll definitely give this a try too. Other than with Halo 3-ish settings, do you reckon it could work with The Undead Crescendo as well?

8. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Most likely, we would have to test that. I am certain that 'Awoken' works with other linear infection maps, too. ^^

There are some things in this gametype, which are pretty specific, though, like the appearance of the infected.

9. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

UPDATE 1 - Playable Alpha

The newest version is now playable up to the end of phase two. The round will end, if you beat it. Due to the first pre alpha test yesterday I made some changes for the map and gametype. Thank you for your feedback thus far.

MAP CHANGES:
    • Infected get blocked in the first 5 seconds of a round allowing the survivors to push out of the cave and position themselves better.
    • I added a few navigation points, so people have more clue of what to do (In my opinion you don't need those, but since the majority wants them, I added them).
    • Added a shotgun in the cave at the beginning. Maybe I'll exchange the turret in the future, I don't know yet.
    GAMETYPE CHANGES:
    • Infected are 90% visible - Black as primary and secondary colour
    • Infected movement speed 100%
    • Infected damage resistance 110%

There it is for this update, thanks for reading. Let me know, what you think. I highly appreciate it, when this map is getting played in testing lobbies. Thank you.

Both, map and gametype, use this thumbnail:

SC.png

10. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

UPDATE 2 - Playable Beta

Damn, it's been a while since the last update... cough, cough. Holy ****.
    Well, I'm back at it and with this, Scarabeus is in the Beta phase!

Map Changes:

• All phases are working (Balancing adjustments will likely be made to ammo, timers, etc.)
    • Teleporters vs camping humans that decided to stay behind are not implemented yet, so bare with me
    • Turret in the cave is exchanged for now (depending on feedback it may come back)

Gametype Changes:
    • No changes as of yet from the last update! (Likely subject to change)

Sneakpeek of the last two phases:

scara-1.PNG

"Team Bravo discovers an ancient weapon that lights them the way."

scara-2.PNG
    "The Pelican is still unharmed, a glimmer of hope!"

11. KeeLoker

KeeLoker ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

I recently played this in Ascend's lobby and I have some feedback of my own:
    I really liked the overall theme and I appreciate what you're trying to do with having a traditional Halo 3 linear infection game type but it was incredibly difficult for the humans to even get positioned properly in the first phase.
    The infected that jump down is a really cool idea but it's become pretty confusing quickly when the infected keep dropping down and the humans need to keep looking up and down repeatedly. Some people in the lobby suggested giving the humans a radar, decreasing the number of starting infected, or making it a two hit kill for the infected on the humans.
    The fact that the infected also start from a high vantage point gives them a big advantage against the humans. Generally speaking, the progression of a linear map should become harder as you go along and several people during the lobby stated that they could see this kind of phase being implemented later into the map. I'm not saying you should completely change your map though since this is in a beta phase, but maybe just making it easier for the humans in that initial phase would help out tremendously.
    I still really enjoyed playing your map and being a linear infection fanatic myself, I look forward to seeing what you do with this map. :)

Buddy Jumps and The Omicron like this.
  12. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Thanks a lot, Kee!

In the Alpha the Infected didn't get blocked at the beginning of the round, which was even more evil that it is now, since they could simply drop down (dig site) and infect the humans pretty easily. I've tested the timing for the current setup and the humans are definitely able to get out of the dig site before the zombies jump out of their buildings into the open. However, I hear you, and maybe I'll increase the timing for the initial blocking by 2-3 seconds.

I think, I know how to balance the first phase now. The holdout at the door emphasizes teamwork, where one group watches the right side and the other one the left. While watching one side, you can easily see both exits for the Infected. Trust is needed here for a perfect outcome for the humans.

I will give it some more thought and post the changes here, once they're done. Thanks again! :yes:

KeeLoker and GrayishPoppy210 like this.
  13. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

UPDATE 3

Great thanks to @Max Extra and @Ascend Hyperion for putting on the map in their testing lobbies. Would be awesome, if you could test this updated version!

Map Changes:

• Turret is back in the cave (Put on Warthog)
    • Infected are held off a little bit longer before they can enter the map
    • Infected spawn on the bottom of the buildings, until the humans activate the opening mechanism - after that they spawn on the first floor giving them more options
    • Rearranged initial human spawning points for a quicker escape out of the dig site
    • Tip: I advise you to go to the cave, since you need that precious ammo for later! It's not just a "cinematic scene"; it's a good strategy to go there first, position yourselves, and then push for the door with united forces
    • Bookmark Scarabeus 0.9 (if you already have, it's automatically updated for you)
    Gametype Changes:
    • Humans spawn with one Frag Grenade, but can only carry one at a time
    • Humans Melee Damage back to normal - They could not damage infected before with punching
    • Clamber enabled - 80% speed humans / 120% speed infected
    • Infected Damage Resistance decreased to 90% from 110%
    • Infected Movement Speed decreased to 90% from 100%
    • Infected Jump Height decreased to 110% from 120%
    • Infected Camo increased to 20% from 10%
    These changes should ensure that humans can actually survive a sneak attack of the infected, if they are on their toes. I'm trying to go a good middle way, since you can not disable the sword lunging attack, which makes it difficult to balance movement speed and weapon damage. I'll gladly hear your thoughts in the testing lobbies.

Remember: Some things can't be noticed after one playthrough. For example, as a human you do not know the spawning points of the infected inside of the pyramid, but after a couple of matches, you'll figure out that there are doors above, where they can drop down. What I want to say is, it is supposed to be challenging. With greater knowledge this map becomes easier and easier...

KeeLoker likes this.
  14. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

UPDATE 4

Map Changes:
    • After door is triggered by a human, 20 seconds go by until zombies spawn at the top levels of the buildings (Before that, they spawn at the bottom)
    • Opening door duration time reduced to 50 seconds from 60 seconds
    • "Escape" navigation point changed to "Supplies" at the beginning
    Gametype Changes:
    • Zombie damage resistance reduced to 50% from 90%
    • Zombie active camo reduced to 10% from 20%

#15 Buddy Jumps, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018