RACE Brains..?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Kenjamin1 MI, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kenjamin1 MI

Kenjamin1 MI Mythic

Race Braaainsss!

Hi It’s Kenjamin!

I’m an old-time forge hermit and Halo Motorsports Biggest FAN! Vehicle Racing and Vehicle Mini-games are what I like best. Using a state-of-the-art, meticulously balanced, First-Person Shooter to Drive Warthog and Mongoose races against your friends on crazy forge-built map tracks. …AWESOME FUN!! (imho).

Part of the fun comes from having a method of scoring, we all like to win. Another part is having the gametype get you back into the action instantly. Halo 5 “Race” has a cool checkpoint and respawn system, but it can be a ***** to set up. There are so many script brains to adjust, as with most H5 scripting, all it takes is one missed option, spawn order, or script setting to foul up the whole works.

I have built some H5 race maps, so… in an effort to help you build a Race Map that has FUNK-Shun-Ality! Here are some items you may find helpful.

This is a year old. But gives the most important details.

– Thanks! @ducain23 – 12 months ago

NOTE: The next video has an item that may cause confusion, …when I mention the settings for the “GO” brain (at 16:36), the setting for the ‘play sound at start’ can cause checkpoint problems during actual races (a later 343 update caused this). Please avoid messing with that switch. – JAMN

– JAMN – 9 months ago

Here are some of the details that most commonly cause issues…

The ‘Race’ Brain Tree and checkpoints use a lot of the scripting channels. The channels that are available for other scripted items and events are: (alpha) A, B, E, H, J, K, O, Q, R, V, X, Y, Z.

Plan for anywhere from 70 to 150 items specifically for RACE. …the Brain Tree (10), and the Checkpoints (avg. 3-6 items per), and the Spawn and Respawns (16 Initial with some Respawns at each checkpoint). *use more respawns at checkpoints ahead of sections with increased chance of driver death.

Verify that ALL of your Initial Spawn and Respawn Points are set to IGNORE Danger and IGNORE LoS (Line-of-Sight). All Respawn Zones are set to “Spawn Order” 0 (zero). *You may need more than one Respawn Zone if you have a large or very enclosed map.

Verify that you have room to respawn your “vehicle of choice” at each respawn. *Warthog is 10x20. Some respawn issues are solved by raising the respawn point a small distance above the track.

The Checkpoint you place as ‘Spawn Order’ (1) is your START (displays the starting countdown) and FINISH LINE (counts as the last checkpoint in scoring). *The checkpoint set to spawn order (2) is the first point scored in-game.

On the Brain Tree – The Script Brain to the side, with the pink bulb (Last Gate Brain), Set its spawn order to equal your ‘total checkpoints to complete a lap’. *Five Checkpoints = spawn order 5.

There are at least a dozen excellent Race Map Forgers here at ForgeHub. They may agree or disagree with the above info, that’s cool. I’m sure most of them would answer your questions if needed, myself included. *I am SO Fired up to see what kind of cool maps we get to DRIVE and RACE ON next month.

Good Luck to all map makers! Have Fun! Drive Fast! - JAMN

2. hopexwhal3r

hopexwhal3r New Member

Hey guys, so I've gone thru and set my initial spawns to 0 for a race I'm currently working on, yet when I go to test in an actual custom game I spawn at a respawn point and no where near where my initial spawn points are. I've tried numbering each initial spawn point 0-15, kept spawning on respawn point. Also I tried a spawn volume on my initial spawn point and same results. I have ignore LOS and danger off aswell. Where am I going wrong here? tia for the help guys.

3. Kenjamin1 MI

Kenjamin1 MI Mythic

- Hi, Check if there is enough space for the vehicle you are using to spawn-in where your 'initial spawns' are. If yes, try setting all spawn and respawn points off the ground. Set phased and lift off the surface a bit. Initial spawns need to be within a spawn volume (all spawn volumes set spawn order '0').
    *you may also need a flat starting area (not tilted or on a slope).
    ALL 'initial spawns' should be set to spawn order 0, all respawn points should be set to the same spawn order as the checkpoint they are associated with.

hopexwhal3r likes this.
  4. hopexwhal3r

hopexwhal3r New Member

Thank you, thank was very helpful.

Kenjamin1 MI likes this.