Qarth [BETA]

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Buddy Jumps, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

q1.png
    I had the idea for a non-traditional Breakout map over a month ago, and now after some ups and downs I can finally show it to you guys.
    With Qarth I wanted to approach 343's Breakout from a different angle featuring no power weapons, smaller map size and different artpass, while still maintaining minimalism. You could say I want to breakout. ; )

q2.png
    This map features three main chokepoints with several connecting paths in between them. The more you play on it the more vertical and interesting it gets, as you get to know some tricks this map has to offer. I think the metagame could be very vital on Qarth.

Qarth Screenshot 2016-04-11 18-41-03.png
    Qarth Screenshot 2016-04-11 18-43-37.png
    Qarth Screenshot 2016-04-11 18-46-12.png
    Qarth Screenshot 2016-04-11 18-43-52.png

This is my second competitive map. Everything is subject to change, I still have to make a lot of negative space and maybe some colorization.
    The BETA decides, if people like this take on Breakout and if this idea combined with the layout even works. I would be very glad to hear some feedback from you guys. Until then, have a good day. Thanks for reading.

Yes, Qarth is from GoT. ^^

Yevah, Yekkou, Erupt and 5 others like this.
  2. PharmaGangsta1

PharmaGangsta1 Dr. Deathpit

Looks interesting, nice to finally see a breakout map that doesn't suffer from shineyitis

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  3. xdemption

xdemption ATN
    Forge Critic Senior Member

screams de-dust, which is a good thing. I'll take a gander at it soon.

Dunco and Buddy Jumps like this.
  4. Zandril

Zandril Spartan III

"Qarth. The greatest city that ever was or will be."

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  5. SammichEaterPro

SammichEaterPro The Hungriest Forger

Looks awesome. Just be sure that the textures don't all blend and disorient!

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  6. Max Extra

Max Extra Forged Friday Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Forge Critic

Some of the lobbies general feed back from Forged Friday April 15th:

Nice and clean, probably not for breakout,
    contrast is needed between the floor and the wall,
    get some respawns in and i think this map can move on with all sorts of game types.

Really like the CS feel that the map is giving off. would like to see more of the map getting posted to Forged Friday

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  7. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Thanks for the feedback, I rewatched the stream. I don't know what I should think of you guys saying it should be a non-breakout map, though. I'm confused, as I solely designed it for Breakout. :tedium:
    You're absolutely right about the contrast. I think the new brick texture we're getting in the next update could look great on Qarth. Maybe I'll add some vines, too.
    I'm kind of surprised you guys didn't say anything about weapon placement, and kind of relieved, too, since that's the major change from traditional Breakout maps. It kind of validates my idea, I am happy about that.

Erupt likes this.
  8. Chan

Chan Legendary

It's because most people hate breakout, but enjoy your map and the concept behind it.

As for me, I love breakout, but I have to play a breakout map a lot before I can really decide what I like and dislike about it.

Having said that, all I can really offer you as far as feedback goes is that the windows that have the little staircase design in them provide a very powerful position, and was where I netted probably 90% of my kills.

Buddy Jumps and Erupt like this.