PSA: Xbox One X Forge Integration

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Agent Zero85, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
?

Is this a good or bad thing?

1. Good

2. Bad

3. Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 Spartan I
    Wiki Contributor

Hey guys, remember a while back when people asked themselves if there would be non-parity with Xbox One S owners? Guess what? You were right.

I am running Halo 5 on my Xbox One X, with a 1080p TV, and I decided to test the framerate on one of my maps: Battle of Installation 00

On Xbox One S:
    This map had issues with framerate when looking across the entire playspace, and frame rate could dip below 20 frames per second easily.

On Xbox One X:
    It ran at 60fps the entire time.

This is great for those who want Halo 5 to run as best as possible,
    This is awful for Forgers that wish to support base Xbox One consoles, as there is no way to tell if your map has framerate on them without booting it up yourself.

What do you guys think? Should there be an "Xbox One X" map category/tag on FH now? Anyone plan on making Xbox One X "Enhanced" versions of their maps?

2. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

did you run the 1x at 4k?

That's why they boosted the power, so if you kept res at 900p it will definitely boost performance. Try the test again at 4k if you haven't. (if your TV won't do it, try a monitor)

As far as the dilema, forgers should be thinking about the player base, not themselves. That would just be what in professional terms would be a "very limiting career move".

But, if you're just going for asthetics on a map and you already didn't GAF about framerates, then that will stay the same, I'd imagine.

Forgers also need to recognize that while the boosted performance of the 1X is nice, there are game-code related reasons why maps can suffer when jam packed with too many goodies. On the PC, with a more powerful GPU than the 1X, I can still get framerate in some situations. But, I am running at 1080 or 1440 as mentioned previously... so, it's not that the 1X is immune to framerates, but that they will appear at a higher load.

Smooth framerates are the reason I only play PC games now days, and Halo 5: Forge is lucky I have stooped so low as to play this thing at 60fps :D So, if anyone ever wants me to play a map, it will have good refresh... Otherwise personally, I would laod it up and say "hey this is nice but I am not going to actually play it".

3. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 Spartan I
    Wiki Contributor

I didn't run it at 4k (or did I???) All i know for certain is that i am playing on a 1080p screen, so if it was a 4k picture, it could have been super sampled. Although, after some extra testing, i figured out that it isn't that much less susceptible to framerate, as you pointed out, there are some issues with the game code that end up causing it to get frames (placing about 10 patches of grass in one place).

It is still important nevertheless to point out because i know a bunch of people build their maps to the limit framerate-wise.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  4. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

ooh ooh ooh!!!!!

What if we just had a label to include/exclude patches of grass and other decorativees when not using the 1X?

5. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

Consoles are finicky with making the TV use the same res as the game, but on PC of course it's easier to render the game at higher res and the monitor downsamples to the res of the screen. See if the 4k setting is in the game or on the console... that would tell you what you need to know about what is possible.

6. TheLunarRaptor

TheLunarRaptor Spartan I

A performance tab would be nice but I doubt they would care about us at this point, forge has had quite a lot of bugs for about a year now.

7. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

My solution is to not buy the One X and just keep forging on the base model I got 4 years ago.

8. ACTIVATE HALO

ACTIVATE HALO ONI Agent

It's not going to make a difference to me. I'm not going to accept frame drops on maps just because some players won't have it. I'm not buying a oneX, I already have halo 5 forge running 4k on my PC.

9. Soldat Du Christ

Soldat Du Christ Spartan II

I have no problem designing around the limitations of the og xbone, like i have been

10. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

yo! hit me up on PC. Weekdays suck for me now, and can't even forge until after 11:00 or so, but I will be there...

11. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Promethean
    Forge Critic Banned Senior Member

Now I can forge maps with massive performance issues and it's okay because the One X owners can run it just fine :)

12. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I run Forge PC on a 1080GTX and still get frame drops pretty easily. Don't get too excited.

ExTerrestr1al and MultiLockOn like this.
  13. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

yep, that's what I was getting at too. semi powerful(mine) to powerful(yours) PCsstill have some sort of issue with this game. But I do play with people on PC and it's pathetic how slow some of their computers are. it does not take much to run PC Forge at min settings, but loading up some forge maps, wow not only do they complain of "lag" haha but they also take forever to load the maps. If you are starting a match with players already in your lobby, you start as quickly as the slowest computer, so sometimes you are sitting there for a while... that part sucks.

Chronmeister and Agent Zero85 like this.
  14. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 Spartan I
    Wiki Contributor

The Xbox One X does load things better, but in multiplayer it stays in a black screen for as long as the slowest console, as you said, lol.
    I decided to abandon the idea of creating X1X Enhanced Forge maps, but the performance distance is fringe, and not quite worth it.

15. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

a purposely aesthetic map may still benefit from the extra treatment, though.

Agent Zero85 likes this.
  16. BeardlessBen

BeardlessBen Spartan I

I got a one x the other day and I totally forgot about comparing the frame rate until I was in one of Sloth's maps that has A LOT of vines. He said how the map had a little bit of framerate, but I didn't notice any at all.

So I decided to check my map out that has a decent bit of framerate in some areas and although this isn't technical, I noticed there was definitely still some framerate, but a bit less of it.

So my impression is that at 4K, there's marginally less frame rate on the One X. Makes me wonder if it's just a limit of the game engine or something.

Chronmeister and ExTerrestr1al like this.
  17. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

it is a limit of the game engine, but fo ra true comparison you need apples to apples, not apples to apples on steroids. So, if you really want to test use your One X compared to your One but keep resolution exactly the same (900p or whtaever)

BeardlessBen likes this.
  18. BeardlessBen

BeardlessBen Spartan I

The idea of an apple abusing anabolic steroids at some kind of backstreet fruit gym is patently absurd - but I will report back my findings upon comparing my current apple to the apple I once owned - seeds and all. Good day!

19. BeardlessBen

BeardlessBen Spartan I

Ok, I'm reporting back upon my Microsoft Apple which may or may not be using performance enhancing drugs.

So again, I went back to my map (Wayward Alpines) and set my Xbox to output at 1080p, then 720p and then 4K. There was no noticeable difference in frame rate issues on my map when comparing all three. This is obviously an unscientific test, but the problem areas on the map still had obvious drops in frame rate.

I stand by the idea that the One X probably does suffer from slightly less frame rate on forge maps, but the amount isn't that significant. Also, changing the resolution didn't seem to have any noticeable effect on frame rate issues on my forge map.

20. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

Okay, then what's left over is that game engine issue then. I thought that might be so, because of PC's still suffering some framerate issues even if high-end builds. The game can just freak out if you push certain boundaries.

Trouble is, those boundaries keep moving :devil:

BeardlessBen likes this.