Post December Hotfix Framerate Survey

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Ascend Hyperion, Dec 14, 2017.

?

How Is The Framerate On Your Maps

1. I had issues post-Overtime, that are now fixed

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. I had issues post-Overtime, that are not fixed

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I had issues prior to Overtime, that are now fixed

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. I had issue prior to Overtime, that are not fixed

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ascend Hyperion

Ascend Hyperion The Homeslice
    Staff Member Forge Critic

Hey everyone! Ascend here! So as many of you may have noticed, the hotfix issued yesterday, Dec 13th, 2017, has proven to be quite beneficial. Maps once plagued by performance issues are back to optimal performance.

I'm looking to gather information regarding the full extent of the hotfixes reach. Some people feel as though it has gone beyond fixing issues that arose with the Overtime update; claiming that maps with long standing issues are running better than ever.

Please take the time to answer the survey above. Please be honest! It is key to gathering info so we can relay the right messages to people. You may select up to TWO options. If you do so, PLEASE provide your reason for selecting two.

Please share any personal thoughts/findings in this thread as well. Thanks!

Soldat Du Christ likes this.
  2. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger
    Forge Critic Senior Member

My map is basically the same. Worse in some areas. I am going to see if changing how my lighting is done on the map will help.

ACTIVATE HALO likes this.
  3. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 Spartan I
    Wiki Contributor

@Ascend Hyperion saw my map, (and featured it!), before the update, he saw how bad the frame rate could get at the corners of the map. Post update, and with more objects added on since, the frame rate has even improved in these instances.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  4. Xandrith

Xandrith Heroic

It's a little bit better on Red Death, but I had already deleted 250+ objects prior to the update. The frame drops would still be terrible If I used all of my budget. (almost the whole map is made out of the lowest polygon pieces we have available, and utilizing the object limit was/is still impossible)

Box Knows likes this.
  5. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

I think the update focused on improving the performance of lights and FX. I say this because I always got pretty bad framerate drops on Dojo through the middle fountain area, where I have a lot of lights and FX, but no where else really. Loaded Dojo up yesterday and it is almost non-existent across the middle.

6. purely fat

are you using spots or points?

7. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

Spots to create a water effect. Probably 30 or so lights spread out over the middle area.

8. purely fat

I am going to switch my map to spots tonight and see if it helps. They originally were but it was easier to do the base lighting with points and have cover everything evenly.

9. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

I was just using the spots to create the water effect. All the other lights to actually light the map are points. But there's maybe only 10 or 12 of those total.

10. purely fat

I don't even have 40 lights on my map. I think I am at 20 tops. I swear these updates have some sort of effect on objects because after the last update my map seemed actually a bit better and it wasn't chroma boxed it was outside which is what everyone said was the cause. My map is mostly high polygon pieces which I know can be an issue but then why was it less of an issue before? I guess it doesn't matter that much because the map is mostly okay in custom games. It just sucks that certain spots are slightly worse than before.

11. Soldat Du Christ

Soldat Du Christ Spartan II

I feel like i have a wierd case...

Pre-overtime update: BAD Framerate w/ 1400 objects & 50% lightbake

Post-overtime: NO Framerate w/ 1400 objects & 50% lightbake

Post-hot fix: NO Framerate w/1500 objects & 50% Lightbake...

So they must have optmised something else besides the lighting engine as well, maybe what Ace said, fx?

12. no god anywhere

If it's worth anything to anyone for extra data to help understand what has been changed, Trinket ran at 100% except in one long sightline across the middle where trees were at both ends of the view. In that case it would drop 15 or so frame very shortly.

After the update the entire map was unplayable. It was the most severe case i had seen. I was getting 20-30 frames across the board. I had to delete all trees and lights to fix the framerate. The frame drops only occurred after lightbaking though so whatever the problem was it had to do with the lighting engine.

After the hotfix, my map runs at 110%. No frame drops anywhere.

#12 no god anywhere, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Agent Zero85 likes this.
  13. purely fat

I need to figure out why my 1v1 got worse.

14. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

that should always help when you are using complex combiniations of many lights. think about it. If the light is emitting from all directions, there are more calculations that need to be done to see what the effect of the overlapping of said lights should be. If the yare points, at least you are controlling the extent of how that is being done. You could probably evne learn precisely what types of overlaps cause issues if you sit and study it for a while.

purely fat likes this.
  15. purely fat

Yeah, I am pretty sure I know the cause. I spent yesterday thinking about it. The map is playable it is just really bad in forge and I don't really have that many effects or anything on it. I actually don't think I have any effects.

16. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

yeah, in forge you often look at a larger section of the map while working than a player would.

17. purely fat

Yeah it was just the indoor area had little to know drops before but it does now. I am using a couple more lights than I need to for some stuff even though I haven't used many.

18. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

That's important to realize (not that I am a masater forger, but I would say I'm a master at understanding technicals of things...)

People should be attempting optimization using logic and troubleshooting skills REGARDLESS of what state the game is in.

Say, you want to use 10 lights to make a little area exactly how you want it, but using 8 would actually make it 95% as good compared to your original vision. DO IT! you won't notice it's missing 2 desired lights after a while and no one else ever will.

EDIT: to say, that the extra two lights will probably increase performance by more than 5% (in that area)

purely fat likes this.
  19. purely fat

Yeah, I was just confused that my map didn't improve like everyone else's seemed to. I had it in a pretty good spot prior to the update but it took a little bit of a poop after the update. I first messed with the fog settings. Which helped a little. I realized that I should do my cloudy effects with less lights and remove it as it is the only major thing that I can assume is causing the problem. The map is very object intensive for how small of a space that it takes up.

20. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 Spartan I
    Wiki Contributor

It could be a balancing thing with the hardware, like how we complained about objects causing framerate, so they tweak some settings and now lighting causes it, vice versa. Matt Sutherlin at 343 seemed to struggle, even early on, to try to reduce the issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The guy is underappreciated for his work on Halo 5.

ExTerrestr1al and CANADIAN ECHO like this.