Next Contest Rules Suggestions(2v2)

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Sethiroth, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Sethiroth

Sethiroth Sensei
    Staff Member Forge Critic Senior Member

Hello everyone, my name is Seth. Not to long ago we asked what type of contest you guys would like to do. On Twitter, 8v8 was winning the votes and here on the website, 2v2 was the clear winner. After much deliberation we decided to go with 2v2. A 2v2 contest will run a lot better with the current population of the Halo Forge Community. The point of a contest is not only to get amazing maps but amazing map that you can play NOW with friends. 8v8 is a hassle at best to get lobbies for at this current moment and I want apologize to anyone that was looking towards a potential 8v8 contest.

With that being said. I would love to get feedback/suggestions on what you would like to see in the contest RULES. In the past contest rules where decided way before you guys see them. Then updated after the contest started. But this time I want to read any ideas first. So suggest anything you can think of.

Now this doesn't mean all suggestions will be used for this contest. But it also dose not mean that your suggestions wont influence the rules and potential contest in the future. While I have a basic idea on what I want to see rules wise. I want to read your thoughts first.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to see your suggestions.

#1 Sethiroth, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. Xandrith

Xandrith Spartan III
    Forge Critic Senior Member

New maps only. Do away with with the usual number based judging templates that don't mean anything, and reallocate that energy into a video, write up, or stream explaining in detail why you cut/chose maps once the winners are announced. Other than that, either make an exception for Multi to be able to judge, or un-ban him. There's a short supply of reliable people, and you can bet he'll explain himself just as he did with the 1v1 contest.

3. MartianMallCop

MartianMallCop Spartan I
    Forge Critic

Definitely no radar. Easily the worst thing to have in Doubles.

Pistol starts

No Spartan charge

An author's previously created maps could be allowed barring maps that have been in Matchmaking. (My own map got disqualified last time for that lol), if we are worrying about lack of content for entering. But new maps would technically be the most fair as everyone would be allowed the same time

#3 MartianMallCop, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  4. MULLERTJE

MULLERTJE ROGUE

New maps only please. Nobody wants to see a Demption map from 2016 win.

No offense.

And a transparant judging process with streams or videos or written feedback etc. If contests are about getting better as a community, this helps a lot.

5. Box Knows

Box Knows Spartan II

Not saying it wasn’t there in previous contests but people who are competent at the game and have at least played the game a good amount.

Maybe a poll to vote on for eligible judges?

Stream the games

And definitely new maps only

6. S0UL FLAME

S0UL FLAME Spartan II

HCS Settings, with No Radar.

Maps as old as two months before the announcement date are legible.

Write-ups or streams/recordings, of your process. First impressions, gameplay, final thoughts.

Screenshot or make small clips/gifs of very important parts that make/break your decision to drop/push the map forward to the finals.

Explain your personal bias to certain design theories, and alongside it, make an assessment without the bias.

Make it clear what the goal is; is this for Match Making, or do you want people to make what they want, and make it work in the context of HCS Settings, no radar?

As a side note, I would like to be cast as a judge. I play a lot of Halo 5, and have lots of free time. I can write up and record (not stream) as I go through maps. I would like to believe I have a good grasp on design theory, and would be able to make judgments with and without my personal bias in play.

Thank you for reading.

7. Soldat Du Christ

Soldat Du Christ ONI Agent

No radar definitely

wether or not spartan abilities are present idc

yes DEFINITELY what xandrith said about having the judges explain why they pass or fail, thoroughly.

Idc if there is a numbers rating system along with it as long as they explain their ratings

also what soul flame said, define the purpose of the contest is and what the maps will be judged on

Who the judges are is really important, NO STAFF, none of them are trustworthy. Maybe a seperate vote thread based on who has volenteered? Idk

Xandrith likes this.
  8. Max Extra

Max Extra Forged Friday Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Forge Critic

If we were to do a mixed bag of judges containing both qualified staff and community members what would some suggestions be for a judging panel of 4?

9. MULLERTJE

MULLERTJE ROGUE

I have no clue who is staff anymore. Or even active at all.

Maybe a volunteer thread/poll and see what comes out?

Box Knows likes this.
  10. Max Extra

We have a convenient list on the members page that lists the site's current staff.

https://www.forgehub.com/members/?type=staff

You can use that list and any community member you think is qualified. To create your list of ideal judges. If you want also include why you think the people you nominate or suggest would be good material for the judging panel.

11. Box Knows

Box Knows Spartan II

Sethiroth
    Multi
    Xandrith
    Hex
    Salty
    Foge
    Soldat
    Soul flame

Off the top of my head these people demonstrate a high level of skill/understanding of level design OR both.

12. Xandrith

Xandrith Spartan III

The only person on staff who has demonstrated an understanding of 2v2 to level I personally think is required for decent judging is Seth. Other than that, Multi, Box, Soul, and maybe Icyhot if he's willing. And in all honestly, I don't think you even need 4 judges. Maybe just 2. Playing with all kinds of players is insightful anyways, you would just have to make sure to alternate between games of both judges on a team and vice versa. It would also make judging faster, which should be of import considering that it took 80 years for the last contest to be wrapped up. Oh yeah, and you really shouldn't need a tie break vote as long as both judges are competent and mature enough to be able to handle that sort of thing

13. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger

Make Box be a judge

14. Box Knows

Box Knows Spartan II

Overwatch

15. purely fat

1v1 me

Box Knows likes this.
  16. Max Extra

Please, let's not derail this thread. I'd prefer if we could keep this thread on track so we can attempt to bring you a contest of which everyone can be proud

GrayishPoppy210 and purely fat like this.
  17. purely fat

I am actually serious about you guys making box judge the contest. He has a skill for making forgers hate their own maps.

18. Soldat Du Christ

Soldat Du Christ ONI Agent

at least 3 judges, and preferabley 4. I think 4 is best because you will either end up with 3/4 passing a map which is larger majority,

OR if you DO end up with a tie breaker this will force the split parties to thoroughly debate whether or not it should pass or fail, more debate is better as it will force them to dig even deeper into the how and why

19. MULLERTJE

MULLERTJE ROGUE

Goat
    Schnitzel
    Multi
    Xandrith

They will make people cry.

I all seriousness, I think Box' list is fine.

20. Max Extra

I believe the reason 4 has been suggested is due to wanting a full game of players and having judges from every angle. Additionaly in recent contests it has been difficult to recruit community players regularly and consistently. This is due partly to a lack of interest from prospective joiners, halo 5's life cycle, scheduling availability, and general awareness all the way around.

a Chunk likes this.