New to Forge, need help. (collision)

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by ooSnip3r, Nov 19, 2017.

1. ooSnip3r

ooSnip3r Spartan II

Hello, new to all that is Forge and I've been busy building a map with the help from whatever tutorial I can find.
    I'm running into areas where I can't seem to get feedback or find the answers to the questions I am asking. I'm not the greatest at forums in general and don't have a very good tool set in the ways of searching either. I'm hoping that this post will be that guide to help me where I need to be quickly.

I've been working on this map here,
    https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-ca/...ooSnip3r_f40437be-e1a0-41ce-aa8c-b9cee6b97d33

and I've gotten to a point where I'd like to finish it up and have it function but I'm not sure how to fix any small or technical issues I have with it. So looking for help with that. One of the things I've not been able to find in tutorial videos are "clinic" vids where a problem is presented with ways to fix it. Lots of amazing, how to make, but not how to fix.

One of the terms I've been trying to search with zero results and I've posted in numerous of places with no reply is .... "what is collision" ... Everything else has been explained in videos except collision and I have no idea if 50% is good or bad. Are there issues that need to be fixed ? I don't know.

I'm getting lots of areas of the map with really bad flickering light. Now some pages have mentioned that if you have too much light map going that you'll have issues, but I'm currently at 65%. Is that too much ? Again, I don't know.

If there's anyone in these forums that likes to go through maps and help fix technical issues and suggest adaptations or changes I'd be more than happy to hear your suggestions.

Also, there are lots of great Forge showcase videos showing off beautifully crafted maps but little in the way of showcase videos where a volunteered map is showcased and then certain trouble areas are addressed and fixes suggested.

Now everyone is going to have their own styles and way they like to set up a map, I get that. What I'm suggesting here is more technical and factual. This Fx won't work properly because.. this welded vehicle is broken because .. etc. Not my favourite colour is blue, so everything should be in a blue filter.

Any help with terminology in regards to forge and repair tips would be greatly appreciated. Drop links to help re-direct me to the proper areas. Thanks, I'm doing my best to be in the right spots, I'm just really lost right now.

Please feel free to showcase my map in ways of tips and tricks to help others with their issues and examples of what to do and what not to do.

Thank you for your support,
    ooSnip3r

2. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Mythic

There is a lot to address there, and I will take some more time later, perhaps. But to get you started, collision is when normal physics objects can collide with other objects. The game would need a certain amount of resources to compute how all those should take place, so the more normal phys objects you have set on your map, the higher that budge should appear. ANother thing that plagues map builders is using natural terrain pieces as flooring. That takes tons of collision budget, so don't go overboard with it. I think there is also a trick to help you break that budget, but I don't know what it is.

Also, your flickering lighting could just be in FOrge mode prior to doing the Bake lighting command. Every time you load up forge it does not bake any lighting until you tell it to. Then, when you load it in customs it does it by default.

STick around, we'll help you out!

3. ooSnip3r

ooSnip3r Spartan II

Hello ExTerrestr1al, thank you so much for your reply and some insight into what collision means. I was keeping track of all my meters and then just the other day I noticed my collision meter was up to 50% but I can't remember what I did on the map that would have made it jump. Maybe it was just so slow that I didn't notice it creeping up.

Turning Light Baking "off" on a large majority of pieces is a good thing, right ? I watched a tutorial video on light budget and maybe I misunderstood it.

Thanks again for the reply, I'm excited to hear more but I am happy with the answers I have gotten.

4. ooSnip3r

ooSnip3r Spartan II

ohhh, I just re-read and then re-read again what you wrote. You mean turning an object from phased, or fixed to normal, correct. So if I have a lot of props or objects that have a normal physics settings then that's collision. I do for sure have a few items on the map that are in normal, and are also destructible. I miss the days when you could interact more with the world and , mess it up. haha.

So by having less terrain pieces as flooring and less "normal" movable objects I could bring that budget down. I'm close to my max units so I was trying not to get crazy with maxing out other resources. Again, thanks for the info.

5. MULLERTJE

MULLERTJE ROGUE

6. ooSnip3r

ooSnip3r Spartan II

MULLERTJE, cool. Thanks, I saw this video a while ago. But I just re-watched it and was a really good refresher and I'm going to go back a re-adjust some things. I just subscribed to his youtube page too, and hopefully he'll keep up the series. I see it's only two months old that specific series.

7. ooSnip3r

ooSnip3r Spartan II

So I'm working on the cinematics for a few game types on my map and there's some really good basic tutorials on how to set up the cameras, but I'm trying to set up an intro camera in strongholds where both teams are face to face. I'm not sure the terminology for that. I just searched cinematic here in the forum and there's loads of pages with direct links to individuals showcasing their footage. Is there a sticky post to setting up different camera techniques.

8. ooSnip3r

ooSnip3r Spartan II

*edit* looks like you just needed to play 50 hours of custom games to get it. Still cool. That's a lot of custom gaming !

Pretty excited just now !! Was just wrapping up my day on Halo 5 when I noticed I had an extra pack waiting to be opened. Timmy !! Whoa, that's pretty cool. I wasn't expecting anything for my rookie attempt at making a map but there it is and It's pretty cool. Not sure what I did to deserve it but inspired to keep going.

#8 ooSnip3r, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Yumudas Beegbut and brusky0086 like this.
  9. brusky0086

brusky0086 HSFN/iForge
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Add me on XBL if you need more help beyond the rad job these fellas did just now;)
    -Brusky0086

Yumudas Beegbut and ooSnip3r like this.