New forge blocks?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by GrayishPoppy210, Sep 4, 2017.

1. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

I have been contemplating how they would actually do cutting and carving, and the sad reality is that if they stick with the cloud aspect of sharing, they will not give this to us. It is a technical limitation in the fact that pieces are pieces. Welded pieces are not new pieces, and cannot be. Instead, they are a cluster of instructions more complex for assembly of many pieces. Given this reality, it would be hard for the game to store precisely how a piece should be stored after being sliced or carved. That becomes a new piece which would have to sit on your hard drive, and would be really hard to find a way to make work with a cloud storage scheme. It might be possible for them to do something like this, but I highly doubt they will, due to the limitations described herein.

2. Starship Forge

Starship Forge Recruit

They could do cutting through a special volume that carves objects that intersect it, rather than direct editing of individual objects. It wouldn't have to store brand new objects that way.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  3. Ozark Targaryen

Ozark Targaryen ONI Agent

4. qrrby

qrrby Waggly piece of flesh

At the very least, give us blank blocks that count towards the budget that can hide certain aspects of another block. To solve the problem of weird texture display, simply copy the already existing texture code of the blank block across your choice of any side of the cutter block. So to make windows, keep the front and back invisible whilst the top/bottom/left/right would 'imprint' it's textures on the inside of the block.

Or better yet, just have 'invisible' as a color option that doesn't interact with physics. Much simpler idea and sounds like it would be very much possible within the limitations of forge.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  5. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Legendary

for sure,

what combo would be best, and none of this is my idea, but a combination of ideas that others have talked about, is that you get a cleaving/slicing tool, but then that would necessitate fully flattening each map, or rasterizing in someone else's terms, whereby the many pieces we used to build it, or using a secondary, more advanced editor, saves only the visible exterior of the facade created by your many piece walls etc. That way, all of your maps still save out to the cloud, but you have not created any new pieces that others' game installs wouldn't have native to them. Except that, in order to get your whole wireframe downloaded, they are of course still going out to the cloud to grab that whole map, rather than just a few sets of coordinates and other meta data about where their already installed pieces must be layed out on the map. Finally, they'd need to implement the "Save over" option for saving maps just like they have for prefabs. For instance, if I already shared a copy of a prefab, but want to update it and not make a new copy, even if it is entirely new, I can simply tell the game to save over the already shared/bookmarked prefab by the same name.

So, to recap, the best combo would be (and might necessarily have to be)

• Cleaving/slicing tool for custom shapes
    • rasterization/flattening/merging final publishing too before saving maps to the cloud. Would be only way to use cleave tool.
    • Cloud storage of maps - rasterized maps might be larger in size
    • Option between rasterized, vs obviously pieced together forge maps (might create a disparity that 343i does not desire to introduce, though there are already huge disparities between ****, average, and pro-level maps in forge)
    • Save Over feature - for saving maps that had already be published and rasterized, with a newer copy, so that rasterization does not need to be final, and creators wouldn't be punished for updating maps due to losing #bookmarks etc.

6. Preacher001

Preacher001 Mythic

Say no to blocks in Halo 6!