Moments of Forge Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Ascend Hyperion, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Ascend Hyperion

Ascend Hyperion The Homeslice
    Staff Member Forge Critic

Whether some of us like to admit or not, most of us spend a huge chunk of time in Forge. Hammering out block outs, creating art, trying out new ideas. Starting a map, restarting, deleting, starting a new one, etc. Forge is a pretty time consuming hobby.

That being said, I'm sure Forge has created some instances of fond memories in our minds and since so much time has passed across all forge, Halo 5 included, I feel myself getting some nostalgia flashes.

For example, I remember pulling an all-nighter back in June 2016. I had just moved out of the dorms and into an apartment. I owned almost nothing. I had a shelf, my bed and a makeshift desk for my xbone. Room was pretty empty and quiet. I was working non-stop on a remake of Hanamura from Overwatch. My server had already been reset once cause I hit the time limit and I was on my second pass.

Around 6am-ish, the sun started to come up and I remember very clearly, stopping what I was doing, opening up the blinds, cracking the window open and just standing there; watching the sunrise. I lived on the third floor of my place, up on a hilltop so I had a pretty killer view.

Cool air from outside. Birds starting to chirp. Stellar oranges and yellows from the sunrise. That was some chill ****, ya' know? Corny all the same but hey, I look at that old ass map now and it brings back some cool memories.

Anyone else got any memories tied with forge? Share away!

2. DELT4 C0MMANDER

DELT4 C0MMANDER Spartan I

My first time building something in Halo 5 back when forge was first available to us, it was a forerunner structure that I had just finished working on. My friend joined my session and flew up to the area, turned back into human mode and walked up to the structure to look at it. The second he set foot on it, the whole thing fell apart as if it was normal physics and exploded out. We have no clue what happened or why, but it was pretty hilarious and frustrating at the same time.

3. icyhotspartin

icyhotspartin Spartan I

Forge saved my sanity around 6-7 years ago. WAYWO saved my sanity in November of last year. Who will save WAYWO? Was this posted as a preemptive commemorative gesture?

4. Ryouji Gunblade

Ryouji Gunblade Spartan I

Working on The Great Journey for Christmas. I got plenty of cheer all around and especially from friends. It was my personal gift to the wider community, and I hope to make more like that in the next game.

5. Dunco

Dunco Troll Whisperer
    Forge Critic

You guys remember that time they gave out a limited number of Forge PC codes before it released and Nokyard had an extra code? He posted it in the shoutbox and I got to it first but I didn't have a PC so I just wasted a code. haha good times

Spranklz likes this.
  6. Spranklz

Spranklz Promethean

any time i have a conversation with salty i am reminded of all forge things terrible

7. Spranklz

Spranklz Promethean

Actually, I have a lot of strong forge nostalgia--each map is a marker in time, and so each of them reminds me of what was going on in my life at the time.

I remember coming home from high school in the winter, drinking cherry coke, and forging on Sandbox in Halo 3. It was very comfortable.

I remember forging in Halo: Reach in the spring, and hanging out with close friends of mine and trying to get them hooked on Halo.

I remember forging on that map in Halo 4 that was like a green plateau for BTB and thinking it was strangely kind of beautiful, trying to make a map that was inspired by the arena in Ryse, and forging maps to 1v1 my roommate on.

I remember forging random colorful **** in Halo 5 instead of studying for Strength of Materials. I remember shortly after I met Duke and thought he was a good forger. Then I met other people and realized he wasn't. I remember several summers ago, churning out ridiculous concept after concept, being too lazy to finish them, and also programming on my Macbook and writing a story about pirates and drinking "the biggest cold brew I can buy, please," or sometimes coffee- or punch-flavored monsters. That was such a great summer.

8. Starship Forge

Starship Forge Recruit

I don't have a lot of those, other than maybe two or three.

When my wife got pregnant with our daughter, I made a pink Tardis in Forge that I used in an announcement video. After that, I figured I'd find another use for a massively oversized Tardis (I'd made it that large for the sake of detail), and spun off a Trenzalore themed map from it.

The second one came a few months later. I was working on my Enterprise D map the morning of the baby shower, and I remember quite well what I was doing. I had scrapped the warp nacelles when I came up with a better design.