Map Metrics - Sunday Night Testing with Natabase

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Natabase, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Natabase

Natabase Spartan II

Artboard 1@2x.png
    What is Map Metrics?

An Alliance Testing Network lobby developed to stretch competitive 4v4 maps to their limits, with a focus on quality, not quantity. Each week, three maps will be subjected to a comprehensive and coordinated regimen of tests, developed to provide the most useful feedback for completing the final stretch of map design.

In this lobby, we will by trying to beat maps into submission, exploit any problems with them, and weed out balance issues to the best of our ability. We want to be as fair as possible, while providing unbiased, practical, subjective advice. As the testing will be orders of magnitude more intense than other lobbies you may be familiar with, I'm going to prioritize maps that the creator considers near-completion.

Map Metrics will be broadcast on Twitch, so all feedback will be viewable through the VODs there. I will also be recording feedback in a publicly viewable spreadsheet.

Rules
    As the lobby evolves, rules may be added or removed to combat patterns that arise.

1. Don't be a ****
    If it is determined by a consensus of lobby-members that you are encroaching on dickhood, you will be asked to tone it down, or in extreme cases, asked to leave the lobby.

If I, the lobby host, exhibit symptoms of the ****-itis, please call me out as well.

Format
    Every week, three maps will be tested in a total of five rounds each. The submitter must select primary and secondary gametypes to be played during the test.

The format for each map will be as follows:

Prelude: Map introduction (from creator, if he's in the lobby, or from the map description)

Round 1: Break the map
    When we first deploy on a map, lobby members will spend two minutes in a non-combat scenario. The goals of this round are to develop a basic familiarity of the map, and to attempt to break it. Damage and killing will be disabled for this round, so don't even try it.​
    Round 2: Primary Gametype (1st test)
    Round 3: Secondary Gametype (1st test)
    Round 4: Primary Gametype (2nd test)
    Round 5: Secondary Gametype (2nd test)

Postlude: Five minutes of feedback

Schedule
    Lobby will begin on Sundays at 8:00pm EST (7 CT, 5 PT)
    Party chat and game lobby will be joinable at 7:45pm EST

The lobby will be streamed on Twitch:
    Submission Format:
    Maps can be submitted to this thread in the format below:
    Map Name*:
    Map Description:
    Forger(s)*:
    Forgehub Link:
    Halo Waypoint Download Link*:
    Primary Gametype*:
    Secondary Gametype*:

*Required

NOTE- All maps submitted to this lobby may be added to the ATN Database and tested by other ATN lobbies.

Get involved:
    If you are interested in being involved in play testing then please post on this thread and/or send me a direct message. We are always looking to expand the community, both for Map Metrics and the Alliance Testing Network. You can also stay up to date by joining the ATN Discord (link below).

ATN Discord

Are your maps in very early form, not ready to be tested in Map Metrics, or is a new gametype that's a mix of grifball an infection? The cool folks at Alliance Testing Network, as well as other forgehub members have got you covered. Check out these other awesome lobbies that might better suit your needs:

ATN Affiliates

Other

#1 Natabase, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    shonbag69, Max Extra and a Chunk like this.
  2. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

Will you not test maps that are in a blockout form?
    I won't get into a big discussion about this because it's your choice, but traditionally the whole purpose of building a map as a blockout initially is so that it can be gameplay tested before investing time in art. Once my map is arted up, it means I already know the gameplay is solid.

Charybdis, shonbag69 and Natabase like this.
  3. Natabase

Natabase Spartan II

So my idea was that this lobby is really focused on final touch feedback, because we are playing more rounds than normal. I wanted to provide something a little different, because there are many lobbies that players can utilize to test blockouts. This is for getting your almost complete or nearly complete maps stress tested.

That's also why I test fewer maps than other lobbies per week. This lobby will (hopefully) fill a niche that I think is valuable.

If people aren't submitting maps, or if people really want their blockouts tested with the scrutiny that this lobby aims for, I am very willing to adjust my requirements. I wanted to try this out, though, and see if it's a helpful addition to the plethora of lobbies that already exists.

Charybdis, shonbag69 and a Chunk like this.
  4. shonbag69

shonbag69 ONI Agent

So you're testing finished maps?
    In that case, I have one...
    Map Name: Conduit
    Map Description: A small, mostly symmetrical map that has an ancient structure theme, I made it so that the building look aged and I also put time into the outside of the map to make it look that little bit bigger.
    Forger(s): shonbag69 (just me)
    Forgehub Link: https://www.forgehub.com/maps/conduit-extermination.4799/
    Primary Gametype: Extermination
    Secondary Gametype: None (will be making a second version of the map for core gametypes)
    Players: 4v4

#4 shonbag69, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Natabase likes this.
  5. Natabase

Natabase Spartan II

Not finished, per se, but just closer to finished. Maps that are outside the concept stage.

6. shonbag69

shonbag69 ONI Agent

Yes, that's more like it. I actually wouldn't quite call that map finished, but not far off...:)

7. Bromaniac35

Bromaniac35 Spartan I

8. Black Picture

Black Picture Level Designer
    343 Industries

9. Bromaniac35

Bromaniac35 Spartan I

10. Natabase

Natabase Spartan II

Hey everybody, the feedback from last weeks lobby can be found here.

Only have one map so far for tonight's lobby - so we have room!

11. Charybdis

Charybdis Spartan I

Time to submit a 2 base 2 tower heretic remake

But in the shape of a U

12. Natabase

Natabase Spartan II

Alright guys, I'm struggling to find people to test with this week, and we didn't get enough submissions. I think I'm going to call it off tonight.

Bromaniac35 likes this.
  13. Black Picture

Black Picture Level Designer
    343 Industries

dang, well last test we did i thought went well. hopefully there is more to come!

14. straymorais

straymorais Spartan I

GAMERTAG : Straymorais
    MAP NAME : Cypress
    GAMETYPE: 4 v 4 Slayer

15. Max Extra

Max Extra Forged Friday Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Forge Critic

16. Natabase

Natabase Spartan II

Hey everybody!

I'm going to try and get this lobby going again this Sunday so if y'all have any maps you want to test - let me know.

a Chunk and Max Extra like this.