Looking for the Scripting Help Thread

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Buddy Jumps, May 8, 2020.

1. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Hello there!

I seem to remember a thread, where people could come in and post their issues with scripting. A few years ago probably... The Scripting Guild? The Scriptors? I don't remember, just tagging some knowledgeable people I know of, hoping someone is able to help me.

@ExTerrestr1al @Yumudas Beegbut @Agent Zero85 @Captain Punch

Anyway, I've got a simple issue any of the hardcore scriptors could solve easily. It's not a logical problem, just a problem of implementation.

A zone sets Channel Alpha to On, if the number of players within is greater than one. If there is no player in that zone, Channel Alpha is set to Off.
    This means, I don't want the zone to deactivate Channel Alpha, if one of the two players dies within the zone or walks out of it and the other is still within...

Problem is, the Number Change conditions/actions are pretty opaque, I can't work with them.

Currently, I simply have an Enter and Exit condition, which obviously don't work correctly.

[​IMG]

Thank you very much!

2. Soldat Du Christ

Soldat Du Christ Spartan I

They are more active on fhubs discord i believe

Yumudas Beegbut and Buddy Jumps like this.
  3. Yumudas Beegbut

Yumudas Beegbut Spartan I
    Wiki Contributor

If it was a logical problem you could just use them numbers, like
    PHP:
    bonky bonky bonkness monster
    I was only testing BB Codes
    but now the "sentence" above is staying
    Code:
    Timer Check:  Initial=1.00, Repeat=0.10
    A1)  Number Change:  Scope=Object
        NUMBER=THIS[add]
        Force Dirty=OFF
        Source=Object Count
        COUNT=Players[add], Dead[exclude], Boundary THIS[include]

Code:
    Number Check:  Scope=Object, Operator=GreaterThan, Constant=1
    A1)  Power Set: Channel{alpha}=ON

Code:
    Number Check:  Scope=Object, Operator=Equals, Constant=0
    A1)  Power Set: Channel{alpha}=OFF

You can skip the Power{alpha} channel and add the scripts you want to run directly in their place.

But since you're bonkers about numbers, which I can really appreciate these days (including the numbers inscrutability, the learning of which was prolly a factor in my descent into into bonkness), you can try... ummmmm... oh I might be so gone I don't know how to do anything without the bonking numbers now... ummm

Something with 2 Power{channels} & Multi Conditions...
    • Boundary Check: ENTER, Players, Time=0.05/0.10/anything
      • Turn ON Power{barvo}
    • Multi: Required=2, Power{alpha}=OFF, Power{barvo}=ON
      • Turn ON Power{alpha}
      • Turn OFF Power{barvo}
    • Multi: Required=2, Power{alpha}=ON, Power{barvo}=ON
      • Do the right thingum... What would the Bonkness Monster do? He'd nickname someone "b-juppy" 'swhat he'd do.
    • I dunno if a Boundary Check EXIT can work to reset both {alpha} & {barvo} to OFF after 2 ppl leave cuz there could be more than 2 in there when the 1st one leaves... Maybe Boundary CONTINUOUS can keep {alpha}=ON? Maybe after an EXIT check turns one OFF?

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  4. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Hey, thank you very much for your efforts, it's insane!

Ex was in a party with me last night and what we ended up doing is simply make one Script for that Zone with a Continuous Condition [Repeat .10] and three actions [Set Alpha On; Wait .20; Set Alpha Off]. That's enough for what I need.
    I know, it's not as versatile and efficient as the Number stuff, Ex tried to explain it to me and I understood the basic concept and usage of number and how you can store traits [e.g. alpha for the players; everything else for objects], but I can't get myself to get into it with the UI of H5 and how the logic is presented. I don't like it.

Yumudas Beegbut likes this.
  5. Yumudas Beegbut

Yumudas Beegbut Spartan I
    Wiki Contributor

Ooh, that's a classic method we still use, so it's good time-tested stuff... I call it the Zero Latch cuz Agent Zero came up with it.

Yeah, using Numbers meant we had to guess how they work & test the crap outta them to see if we were right... It's not friendly & the UI's "unhelp" text, as I call it, can even make things worse... heheheh.

Glad you got Ex's help. If ya ever are unfortunate enough to need it, here's the Scripter's Guild discord link! https://discord.gg/rSFqZ4C

Buddy Jumps likes this.