Linear Infection Maps

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by CommanderColson, Jul 14, 2016.

1. CommanderColson

CommanderColson Legendary
    Forge Critic Senior Member

make em. rebel against majority

2. Zandril

Zandril Spartan III

Honestly kinda surprised with the lack of linear Infection maps being made. We had a few posted here but they were all pretty garbage. Halo 5 needs quality linear Infection maps. Were it not for the Hub of the Dead contest, I think I would have started on one.

I kinda figured either you or Rem would have one by now, Colson :p

Charybdis, Orzium and MultiLockOn like this.
  3. Dunco

Dunco Troll Whisperer
    Forge Critic

How would the spawning work? Would the infected have quick access to areas via teleports or have their spawns be on high ground overlooking the play space?

4. Zandril

Zandril Spartan III

Typically, the respawns are in one room and in front of timed teleporters. The receiver nodes can technically be anywhere as long as the Infected are presented with different options and routes but in my experience, receivers in higher places are the most fun for both sides.

There's honestly so much to think about when designing linear Infection maps which is why I think we haven't seen any good ones yet. The people who actually know how to make them are just making standard Infection stuff.

@REMkings Favela pls

5. ReinaStorm

ReinaStorm Nostalgia never dies

I started on one back when they made the team based invis blockers, but after I found out they didn't work for Infection, I kinda scraped the map.
    I had this really cool idea, but it got shafted with non-infection working team blockers.

I wanted the infected to be able to run out through these tunnels and stuff, but not allow the survivors to run into the areas.

If they can make team blockers work for Infection, I would definitely make some wicked cityscape linear infection maps.

6. REMkings

REMkings BIOC

Favela is coming. Patience, my young padawan.

Orzium and Dunco like this.
  7. Dunco

Dunco Troll Whisperer
    Forge Critic

Crap I didn't know the slums theme was already taken. Back to the drawing board

8. CommanderColson

I've wanted to do some for a while but have been swept with real life. After I finish the update to Scavenger, I'll be focusing purely on Linear. Some people have claimed its not possible in H5- if it could be done in Reach, of course it can be done in 5, especially with the chance we may be given the Linear settings in the future. Everyone wants to get into matchmaking, and for the first time it's actually possible to due so- for everyone. That's why no one is forging more nich types of maps and gametypes anymore (plus the fact that gametypes are SEVERELY limited) because everyone wants to get their 'standard' map into matchmaking.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 17, 2016 ---
    If everyone began forging Linear and 1-flag and got 343's attention, then I bet they would listen- but everyone is to preoccupied trying to get into MM, and since MM doesn't accept make shift 1-flag, or linear, no one is forging them, and because no one is forging them, the community is essentially telling 343 that we don't really want them- it's a viscous cycle.

Dunco likes this.
  9. CommanderColson

All it would take is one 'Make shift 1-flag MYM Forgehub Contest', and I swear a month after the contest closes, we'd see 'HOTFIX: we've updated settings to the Capture the Flag gametype that now allows classics like 1-flag! See you on the virtual battlefield!'

10. ScaredHitman086

ScaredHitman086 ONI Agent

Yes sir its terrible cycle. We have a lot of cool gamemodes in Halo 5 customs right now. Maybe there should be more community playlists like in reach. Basketball, musical chairs, Indiana Jones, just a thought

11. CommanderColson

I'd welcome back action sack. If not for me, for the sake of others in the community.

12. taylorwayne15

taylorwayne15 ONI Agent

Without a doubt these my favorite to play. I recently just started forging and have grasped the basics of the suite such as the tool pallette, textures & scripting. I love to create these maps, I hope the one I recently released isn't taken as garbage, but I do look to collaborate, learn & progress in the development of fun & challenging linear infection maps. The newest one im working on, "The Island" - it's pretty challenging, but I am leaning on trying to make it more fun and actually improve upon my past release "Evac on Urban". I should be releasing it pretty soon, but I do hope the community begins to build more of these!

13. CommanderColson

Bring back linear. Make it simple since scripting is broken. Simple like in reach. Just make linears- pleaaaaasseeeee

Orzium and Dunco like this.
  14. Zandril

Zandril Spartan III

You start Colson

Orzium likes this.
  15. Dunco

Dunco Troll Whisperer
    Forge Critic

stilllll waitingggggg

16. REMkings

REMkings BIOC

I'm sorry my friend. Life's getting in the way. But I promise you eventually I will finish it up.

17. Orzium

Orzium Spartan II

I'm a simple Guy... I get a dedicated linear game type... I make linear maps.

18. Zandril

Zandril Spartan III

And finish that Last Stand map

REMkings likes this.
  19. REMkings

REMkings BIOC

I am developing a gametype, but just like in Halo 4 I need a map to test it with. That's why I haven't released a Linear gametype yet.

20. KeeLoker

KeeLoker ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

I've made a few but I wouldn't know if they'd be considered "quality" linear infection maps...