Jumpindex

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Buddy Jumps, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Alright, so I want to list all kinds of jumping techniques just to get them out of my head onto something I can come back to. If you're not interested in this topic, I'm ok with that.
    In these lists I'm not going to include additional Halo 5 gadgets like hovering or clambering, since they're bullshit and have nothing to do on a jumping map.
    The jumping techniques listed below are fully supported in Halo Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians, while Halo 1-3 and Halo 2: Anniversary can't support all of them. Some might sound weird and long to you, but that's how it is, jumping in Halo is a science of its own, believe it or not.

I've been jumping since Halo 3 (2009), spring jumping since Halo Reach (2010) and overally have been thinking and talking a lot about jumps and how they should be called throughout the years. My jumping skill level has been very high since 2011, beating the most difficult maps I could find. I'm still learning, it's an ongoing process, there are always new aspects coming at me, it never gets old.
    Without further ado, let's start. Going roughly from lowest distance and height to maximum.

Formula:

Name of the jump : Button combo --- Additional information

^^ means, the last two buttons/actions need to be pressed at almost the exact same time

JUMPING TECHNIQUES

Sprint disabled:

<> Short Jump : Jump + Crouch^^ --- The lowest possible jump
    <>
    <> Short Crouch Jump : Short Jump + Crouch --- Crouching right before landing allows more height than a short jump
    <>

<> Momentum Short Jump : Walk + Jump + Short Jump --- Momentum of the previous jump allows more distance
    <>

<> Momentum Short Crouch Jump : Walk + Jump + Short Crouch Jump --- Farthest+lowest jump possible without sprinting
    <>
    <> Crouched Jump : Crouch + Jump --- The jump everyone thinks to be the lowest jump
    <>
    <> Crouched Crouch Jump : Crouched Jump + Crouch --- More height than crouched jump
    <>
    <> Normal Jump : Jump
    <>
    <> Crouch Jump : Jump + Crouch --- The most popular jump technique in Halo
    <>
    <> Spring Jump : Jump + Land Crouch + Jump + Release Crouch^^ --- Together with short jump most advanced jump technique, allows biggest skill gap
    <>
    <> Spring Crouch Jump : Spring Jump + Crouch --- Allows more height than spring jump
    <>
    <> Spring Over Jump : Spring Jump + Move Forward In Mid-Air --- More distance than spring jump
    <>
    <> Spring Over Crouch Jump : Spring Over Jump + Crouch --- Allows more height than spring over jump
    <>
    <> Momentum Spring Jump : Walk + Spring Jump --- The momentum of the walk and the angled landing allows more distance and height
    <>
    <> Momentum Spring Crouch Jump : Walk + Spring Crouch Jump
    <>
    <> Momentum Spring Over Jump : Walk + Spring Over Jump

<>
    <> Momentum Spring Over Crouch Jump : Walk + Spring Over Crouch Jump --- With the momentum you get from the walk and mid-air moving you slide up the edge of an object even higher making it the highest possible jump without sprint

Sprint enabled:

<> Sprinting Short Jump : Sprint Jump + Short Jump --- The momentum of the previous sprint jump allows extra distance

<>
    <> Sprinting Short Crouch Jump : Sprint Jump + Short Crouch Jump --- Farthest+lowest jump possible

<>
    <> Sprint Jump : Sprint + Jump

<>
    <> Sprinting Crouch Jump : Sprint Jump + Crouch --- Allows more height than sprint jump, farthest jump

<>
    <> Sprinting Spring Jump : Sprint + Spring Jump --- All sprinting spring jumps are basically momentum jumps with increased momentum due to the speed of sprint

<>
    <> Sprinting Spring Crouch Jump : Sprint + Spring Crouch Jump

<>
    <> Sprinting Spring Over Jump : Sprint + Spring Over Jump

<>
    <> Sprinting Spring Over Crouch Jump Sprint + Spring Over Crouch Jump --- Farthest+highest, highest jump possible

SPECIAL JUMPING TECHNIQUES

These techniques (except for ghost jumping) shouldn't be in a natural jump map. Natural jumping means, that you exlude all gadgets on the map/gametype except for the ones, which the spartan could also do without his armour, for example sprint.
    I'm not listing every 'trick jump' here, since it would be always the same, for example for Rocket Launcher and Brute Shot. You can suggest one, too, if you know another one.

<> Ghost Jump : Jump + Crouched Jump Off Wall --- Limited to Halo 3 this technique is most likely the one with the biggest skill gap
    <>
    <> Scatter Jump : Crouch + Look Straight Down + Shoot Scattershot + Jump^^ --- Limited to Halo 4 this jump almost doubles a spring jump

<>
    <> Grenade Jump : Throw Grenade Against Object (-45° Angle) + Walk + Jump --- This very well known technique can be enhanced with crouch and spring jumping

<>
    <> Hammer Jump : Look Straight Down + Walk + Jump + 'Shoot' Hammer^^^^ --- Getting popular in Grifball this technique can also be enhanced with crouch and spring jumping

<>
    <> Double Jump : Walk + Look Straigt Down + Jump^^ + Drop Absorber + Jump --- You basically jump off of the Energy Absorber in mid-air, limited to Halo 3

<>
    <>
    <>
    <>

#1 Buddy Jumps, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Not sure what to call it, but I've done it and seen others do it;

sprint + jump + stabilize + rapid crouching while stabilized

can also optionally extend the jump after stabilize crouching by charging a ground pound to continue your horizontal momentum

3. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Have you even read this thread? :) I don't want this Halo 5 bullshit in here. ^^ But the name would be something like this:
    Sprinting Stabilized Teabagging Jump :salty::salty:

4. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub

Sorry, bad eyesight - I actually can't read that chunk of text at the top because of its font color. I assume you said something about no halo 5 stuff there, sorry.

5. MULLERTJE

MULLERTJE ROGUE

Look Before You Leap

6. Drizzy_Dan

Drizzy_Dan ONI Agent

There were certain slide jumps in Halo 3 that allowed players to use Halo 3's less smooth geometry to land on edges and jump again with increased momentum. Mostly done on railings like on Guardian. Also if you're gonna include Grenade, Scattershot, and Hammer jumping then you may as well include Brute Shot jumping.

Also even though it was taken out, would you include equipment jumping on this list?

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  7. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

It's cool, man. ^^ I changed it.

I know exactly what you mean and I was going to make another list which takes interaction with obstacles into account, but I couldn't reserve the second post on this thread, it always got double merged...

As for the Brute Shot jump, look at the last block of text again. ^^ I might add it later on, eventually.

Maybe I'll add a single list for Halo 5 gadget jumps, I don't know.

8. Soldat Du Christ

Soldat Du Christ ONI Agent

I'm still amazed when people don't know spring jump exists, it seriously changes the game when you learn to execute consistantly.

Also, crouching repeatedly in mid air only reduces your chance to clear a jump. And makes you look like an idiot.
    Hold crouch down always unless your are tyring to juke your enemy

Spring jump is even more effective the sprint slide jump float crouch clamber.
    The higgest possible h5 jump would be spring + crouch + stabalize + Hammer + stabalize + Hammer

Grenade jumps don't exist in h5!! Lmao talk about salt

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  9. Erupt

Erupt Legendary

Wasn't there something in H3 where you could throw a bubble shield downward in midair to boost yourself up

Also **** H5 movement mechanics

Ps. Should have named in Jumpingdex for Pokemon purposes

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  10. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

The technique you describe is only possible with an energy absorber. I forgot to add that one, thanks. I named it Jumpindex because of this map Just One Player and me made in Halo 4. ^^

Erupt likes this.
  11. Luculent

Luculent ONI Agent

This, can be expanded as there is multiple forms of ghost jumping and also requires specific conditions:

Ghost Jump: Jump + crouch (if required) + jump off a wall. --- Limited to Halo 3, requires a change in textures

Edge Ghost: Jump + Crouch (if required) + Jump off wall --- Limited to Halo 3, requires a small ledge above your head

Inverse Ghost: Jump + Crouch (if required) + Jump off object --- Limited to Halo 3, however, can be pseudo-ed in other Halo games. Occurs when an invisible barrier is supposed to stop you from standing something ordinarily, you can only jump off these or walk to stay on them.

Additional techniques I can think of off the top of my head:

Legend
    {actions} - these must be done at the same time
    (actions) - inputs must be held
    [actions] - these are optional inputs and are not required

Equipment Jump: Jump + Look Down + (Crouch) + Throw power drain/radar jammer/flare + {Jump + [Release Crouch]} --- Limited to Halo 3, does not require releasing crouch but this is often done with a bunny hop. This does still work, just a tad harder to do :(

Bunny Hop: Walk + Jump + (Crouch) + {Jump + Release Crouch} --- Limited to Halo 3, is the Halo 3 version of the spring jump and requires you to move forward the entire time.

Ramp Jump: Walk + Jump + [Crouch] --- Requires you to edge onto the "late ledge" of an object (used for save jumping and late jumping) and then walk up it and jump. Can also be done with an slightly higher piece of floor

Overjump: Walk + Jump + [Crouch] + Jump off the earliest part of an object + [Crouch] --- Simply requires two objects, one higher than the other, in close proximity. Gets more height than a crouch jump and is easiest in Halo 3.

Slide Jump: Jump + (Crouch) + {Jump + Release Crouch} --- Requires a ramp angled down and towards your location

Slide Ramp Jump: Jump + (Crouch) + {Jump + Release Crouch} --- Requires a downwards ramp, and an upwards ramp immediately after. The second jump should be done just after hitting the floor, NOT the on first ramp.

Buddy Jumps, a Chunk and Blaze like this.
  12. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    343 Industries Forge Critic Creative Force

Edge ghosts can also be done in Halo 2 but are a good deal harder than in Halo 3.

There are also techniques that are similar to these that aren't 100% 'Jumping' like the Slingshot/Buddy jump (and variations) and super bounces, which maybe should be included anyway. It might be good to mention that ghosts can be done off of other player models as well as equipment.

Oh! And Rubble jumping. Can't forget about that one!

Luculent and Buddy Jumps like this.
  13. xzamplez

xzamplez Mythic

BXYA spam with rockets and sword (halo 2) = rocket lunge after jump. Besides some superbounces, this is the furthest and most stylish mode of transportation.

14. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    343 Industries Forge Critic Creative Force

^^^ Yes, and thatmakes me think, Butterfly jumping too!

15. SloppyBottom

SloppyBottom Recruit

ctrl+F: Gandhi

results: 0/0

16. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Thanks a lot! As I said, Halo 3 is probably my weakest Halo in terms of jumping, thank you for filling us in with the additional info. Pog.png

Unfortunately, I can't update the OG post anymore. Maybe I'll repost it, as I would word some stuff differently, especially the intro. LUL

@Luculent , if you want and have the time, you could send me all the Halo 5 stuff you know (I heard the map you were talking about was heavily focused on abilities) and I'll make a new complete jumpindex post.

Also @Aschur , sorry for sounding so harsh and rude back then. Where were my manners?
    Actually, @Box Knows told me last year, that "it's cool man" doesn't mean something like "no problem, never mind!" in a kind way, but rather "yeah, whatever, ok" in more like a sarcastic/bad way. I didn't even know that back then, haha. Excuse me.

#16 Buddy Jumps, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  17. Luculent

Luculent ONI Agent

If you're thinking of the sword fly from H2, and how it basically tricked the game into thinking that the sword had the same range as what you were previously holding, then that would be the sword fly, which has a button combo of: Switch Weapons + Reload + Shoot + [Switch Weapons OR Reload (to cancel)]. In speedruns, we did use rockets a lot because of the AOE crosshair, so that's more forgiving.

<===============>

Yeah, I can do that, I got nothing better to do. :whale:

18. Luculent

Luculent ONI Agent

I completely forgot about things like toe ghosts and similar off equipment. I didn't really have any friends on H3