It better be in Halo 6 Forge or I quit this game!

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Preacher001, May 1, 2018.

1. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Since there's such ferocity in the forging community about what people want and more than enough, "I'm quitting this stupid game" that I thought I would start a thread to hear some of your most passionate requests for the future Forge.

For myself it's scale-able objects. I'm seriously done with being at the mercy of the Forge team and what they feel the handful of obscure object sizes they think best to add. Isn't scaling a 20 year old editor feature?

#1 Preacher001, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  2. KeeLoker

KeeLoker ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

I wouldn't per-say quit the game if this wasn't in it, but I don't think it would be too hard to put in an undo button mapped to a simple button push like duplication or delete is.

3. Yevah

Yevah Mythic

I am actually fine with Halo 5's forge. It could be better and definitely has its issues. But give me Halo 5's forge with an actual playable game and I'll be happy.

**** H5's multiplayer. ****ing shitty ass mechanics.

4. Yevah

Yevah Mythic

Sorry, but forreal. I still don't understand how we went from Halo 3, even Halo Reach..to this..

MultiLockOn likes this.
  5. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

The undo button has always been on the most wanted list, the problem is figuring out exactly how to do it since there's a little more going on than just undoing the last addition or deletion of an object. I think what would be needed is something like a save state every 30 seconds of which you could go back something like 10 save states. The other thought is you could have a kind of rewind button much like some of the race car games offer.

The main reason I've seen most people want an undo button is for unintentional deletions. I may be wrong but I think creating an undelete button would be notably easier to implement and particularly useful.

I can't agree with you here, not that I'm against a better multiplayer experience but as good as Halo 5 Forge was compared to previous iterations it's still quite a ways behind where it should be and miles behind where it could be. I appreciate what it is but it's nowhere near good enough, especially when compared to some of these smaller newer level editors that are popping up online.

#5 Preacher001, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger
    Forge Critic Senior Member

get ready to quit

Preacher001 and ExTerrestr1al like this.
  7. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

I used to wonder why they don't have this, but it is a little harder to do with the online aspect of forge. In order to have an "undo" feature, you'd have to restore backup copy of the file from the cloud. Either the "recovery" copy that always exists, or similar. That would not be a simple button press, mind you. It would be a reload of the map.

So, considering that you can always exit without saving, and reopen, I'm betting they feel that we wouldn't really get much out of a traditional "undo" feature. Unfortunately, I think they're right.

KeeLoker and Soldat Du Christ like this.
  8. Soldat Du Christ

Soldat Du Christ ONI Agent

So is this like the 20th H6 forge wishlist thread now?

9. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

It's best to keep your de-mands current. This way we can see what really sticks.

edited: 05/05/2018 - for more chest hair

#9 Preacher001, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
  10. qrrby

qrrby Waggly piece of flesh

But mines stickied even lol

GrayishPoppy210 and Preacher001 like this.
  11. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Get outta here with you're weak ass, last year, dreamy little wish list. This ain't no wishlist, this is the de-mand list, *****!

Feel free to sticky your own lists all day!

:surprise: oop, threw up a little on that last one.

Zombievillan likes this.
  12. JurassicWeeMan

JurassicWeeMan ONI Agent

Well, I've enjoyed, loved and cherished Halo 5's forge. I've enjoyed helping D4rkDeath nourish maps to a fun potential, and look forward to doing that in Halo 6. With that being said, currently, we are both deep into Far Cry 5's Arcade editor making Jurassic Park stuff for two different maps. (not sure if mentioning other games is allowed on here, sorry if so)...anyways, Far Cry 5 has MANY features that H5's forge does not have, and, frankly, I'm going to be majorly disappointed if Halo 6 can't hold a candle to it. Terrain, water, object count, lighting, sun/moon position (you can change them), and even shadows appear where they should be in relation to the sun (unlike in H5). H5 also has some things Far Cry 5 does not have. Bottom line, Halo games have always been fun, but I'd love to do these things in Halo 6 that I'm doing now with Far Cry 5, and I'll be disappointed if it's just Halo 5 forge version 2.0

Preacher001 likes this.
  13. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Halo's editor hasn't exactly been evolutionary. Not to say that it hasn't evolved but the process wasn't a smooth and natural one. It played it safe instead of evolving as it should have.

I was going to list each forge iteration and the improvements/side steps it has had, but I think my point can be formed into a question. Given the pacing of the evolution of the forge seen in Halo 3, does it really feel like we've seen a decades worth of evolution in Halo's editor since its inception? IMHO, no. Don't get me wrong, I was happy with the support from the Forge team and the work they did to improve Halo 5's Forge, but I couldn't help but feel disappointed in the size and speed of it's improvements, and surprised by the editors apparent limitations as described by the Forge team.

Microsoft/343/343's Forge Team, all need to stop feeling like they need to simplify the editor to ease newcomers into using it. Let's be honest, most newcomers are kids and most kids are learning this stuff way faster than the older crowds that are already fed up with the Forges limitations. How long are they going to hold back their community for fear of scaring away newcomers.

A game like Halo should not feel like it's being left behind by games as simple as Minecraft. It's painful to see many of the things that are on our wishlist pop up on newer editors, especially when they are as simple as the Doom editor.

How much longer must we wait to be able to build levels from scratch with tools that allow us to set all the perimeters of the skybox, landscape, and lighting, to build walls by merely dragging the edges of a box till they meet our requirements, to add any of the thousands of objects included in campaign. Will we ever get to add AI?

I find myself dreaming of playing through large unique maps with paths and a specific goals while AI attacks us from all sides. I dream of those levels being linked to other levels to form a true Campaign. I dream of Matchmaking being driven by the community instead of supplemented by it. I dream of user hosted playlists with ranking options. I dream of the the removal of barriers between what the community wants and what the developers feel we should have.

Does Minecraft not serve as a good enough example of what can happen when you unlock the limitations of our tools? What about Skyrim? GTA 5? I know I'm giving examples of mod-able games but that is also an unlocking of those tools.

If not now, then when?

JurassicWeeMan likes this.
  14. JurassicWeeMan

JurassicWeeMan ONI Agent

^That is probably one of the best worded things I've read. Definately agree.

Preacher001 likes this.
  15. ACTIVATE HALO

Actual ****ING water.

Preacher001 likes this.
  16. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

I'm sorry I'm going to have to disagree. Halo uses the Rock Paper Scissors approach and in it Water beats Spartan.

Wet boots kill!
    Save the Spartans!