Into the forge: 4v4 testing with Xdemption

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by xdemption, Apr 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. xdemption

xdemption ATN
    Forge Critic Senior Member

INTO THE FORGE.png

Now this is an update post to get a better idea of how my lobbies are going to be run from now on to get better consistency throughout the week. I will be running my lobbies at 6:30 PM EST on Saturday and Sunday and we will be running 5 maps with 3 games on each map. We will still be covering 10 maps a week but in a more condensed form, however I cannot manage to do my 5 matchs for 3 maps at the end of the week, so we will be improving and testing each map until players feel it is ready for UCC.

FEEDBACK ORGANIZER

Scaling - Do battles take place at fair ranges?
    Pathing - Do players travel the map in reasonable timeframes?
    Segmentation - Are players properly distributed within the playable space?
    Spawn Balance - Do players have fair spawns?
    Objective Placement - Does the objective location support the gametype well?
    Macro/Micro Pathing - Is player movement predictable and punishable?
    Lines of Sight - Are sightlines well rounded to encourage movement?
    Geometric Readability - Can players discern the paths from the map boundaries?
    Target Acquisition - Can players see each other in every area of the map?
    Player Orientation - Can players identify where on the map they have spawned?
    Map Boundaries - Can players exploit geometry to get outside of the map?
    Smoothness - Is the map cleanly forged?
    Visual Weight - Does the map make good use of negative space to train the player's eye to areas of interest?
    Lighting - Is the map's lighting the right intensity to set dress the map?
    FX - Do the effects distract the player?

Many thanks to @A 3 Legged Goat for this, this will be our main criteria for areas we will be seeking to improve on each of the maps in testing. Between each play-date, I will be sitting down with each forger to improve each map for consideration. Taking in the feedback of the lobby and creating solutions for the forger to take in hand and adapt to their creation.

As my job is to organize the feedback and interpret what the lobby is discussing in terms of how the map plays and what players would like to see improved in the future. This will be a long and driven process but with time each map that I receive will get the time and dedication it deserves. I wish to thank you all for all the overwhelming positive responses from all the forgers and the players who have given their support to this.

For the thread, I will be updating each time the maps that are planned for each night for clarity purposes and expected run time for each of these lobbies.

WHAT I NEED FROM YOU

For players who want to help test maps:
    • Will you be able to devote a 3-hour chunk of time to join the testing lobby for a night?
    • Can you give feedback in a objective and constructive manner?
    • Can you give it your all when testing these maps?
    • Can you give written feedback on the thread? (If not I can relay the feedback to forger)
    • Can you stay polite and act within a mature manner?
    • If you choose to sign up to these lobbies, can you be punctual and be on time for each lobby?
    If you answered yes to most of this, then your in the right place. Each stream will be available to the public to review for specifics on feedback. I will be sure to time-stamp each map feedback for each lobby. I hope to get a diverse group for each lobby so be sure to message me on XBL or on forgehub and I will be sure to add you to the lobby!

Be sure to join us on twitch as well on my stream!

Xdemption

#1 xdemption, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. Goat

Goat Rock Paper Scissors Scrap

Nice to see you get this going. Did you play Bipolar at all last night? If there is enough interest in the map I might be arsed to fix the problems.

3. xdemption

xdemption ATN

yes we did and we noticed that the flag spawn zones didnt seem to be functioning for teams. I would make sure those are functioning properly.

4. Sn1p3r C

Sn1p3r C Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

Any plans to stream this? I'd love to watch!

Also, if it's not full, I'd also like to help playtest on the Saturday timeslot if possible.

5. xdemption

xdemption ATN

It will be streamed yes later tonight

Yumudas Beegbut likes this.
  6. Goat

Flag spawn zones? Do you mean the flag stand itself?

7. GamerPeepFreaks

GamerPeepFreaks Spartan I

No, you have no spawn zones for the teams for example, blue team would spawn on red flag if we were all there.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 11, 2016 ---
    To 'high life blockout', turn off some lighting on some blocks so the map looks nicer lighting wise. Replace the Spnkr with a normal rocket launcher. Pick between OS and Camo, two is probably not a good idea in the same area. And lower ammo in BR's. AND PLEASE FIX THE WINDOW THAT YOU HAVE TO CROUCH THROUGH

#7 GamerPeepFreaks, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

@Demption if you plan to make this a regular thing you should totally consider participating in the Alliance Testing Network. It will allow people to utilize more lobbies for testing to get approval for pro testing with UCC. It helps grow the network and ensure that all of the major test lobbies are working together to bring together MM quality maps.

If I'm ever available I'll gladly jump in. I've been busy though so probably not for a while.

9. Goat

That's weird. They're floating right there above the base.

10. xdemption

xdemption ATN

Already planning on it, will be speaking to the leader of the ucc test lobby later tonight on the subject.

Ray Benefield likes this.
  11. Sn1p3r C

Sn1p3r C Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

Sorry for the short feedback on each - demption keeps his lobby rolling. Happy to elaborate if anyone's got questions.

High Life Blockout:
    Slayer
    I enjoyed this a lot, @BodeyBode . Could use some easier combat evolves on the rockets, maybe just a slightly longer ledge? I thought the gameplay ended up on the top a lot, which was not necessarily bad, reminiscent of Hang 'em High. Would have liked to see more vertical cover in the bottom of the map to make drop-downs a viable surivability option, or give me a good reason other than rockets to come to the bottom of the maps... maybe a lift up to the top of rocket platform? Camo/OS switching seemed natural, and I liked how you handled it in the intro cams and on the map.
    Strongholds
    The strongholds did a good job of pulling gameplay down from the upper areas, but the specific areas were particularly special. Consider moving these around so that there's a different strategy for holding each one.

Seclusion:
    Other than some invis blocker-smoothing on the top, was great @Given To Fly. 'Grats on the feature!

Twice Forsaken
    @SecretSchnitzel - The aesthetics, bridges, teleporter gameplay, and narrow hallways lead to a really strong Halo: CE/Halo 2 feel, which was awesome. I really liked the splinter grenades across from the Sniper Rifle hole. Improvements could be made on the Scattershot... lot of risk for moderate reward. someone said it was supposed to be trolly, so maybe not. =P Maybe switching it with camo, however, might balance that. Tight sightlines between levels were good, and the overshield jumps were a bit easier than the last blockout I played which was about a month ago.
    Strongholds
    Wasn't a big fan of having the teleporter directly behind spawn, but it wasn't damaging to gameplay, just a little confusing on flow. The strongholds were well-placed. I liked the direction that objective play added to the map.

Luxor Station
    Slayer
    Lighting seems a little bright... the attics are much easier to access than the last time I played, which is great. Nothing really jumped out to me on this map - If you're looking to make changes, maybe look at spreading camo/caster around the map more, instead of just in the middle room. Not really needed though.
    CTF
    Frentic, but not in a bad way. I wish the jump up from lower base to flag spawn was easier to do without sprinting. I understand skill jumps are a thing, but it made me feel like a BK when I missed the couple frames at the top of the jump to clamber.

Cascade Camo
    Slayer
    Big framerate drop looking into the atrium from carbine (over sniper). Needs more "swiss cheese" - as in, make the rooms/hallways interact more to prevent the doughnut feel.

12. Jack Bell

Jack Bell Spartan II

how can we submit maps for testing?

13. xdemption

xdemption ATN

Send me a personal message either here or on XBL and I will go through a pre-screening with you before testing.

Sn1p3r C likes this.
  14. VwS Executioner

VwS Executioner Sweaty Online Warrior

Stigma it plays like it has for the past 3years there's your feedback on it done you can take off stigma from your list now

Given To Fly and Goat like this.
  15. Duke of Mearl

Forge Critic

If you need players hit me up

16. Chan

Chan Legendary

Man, there are so many maps on that list that I want to try out, but I don't get off work until 9:30 EST. :(

17. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member Temporarily Banned

While I appreciate you guys playing my maps, I would like to stress these are 100% completed maps, and that you're not "testing" them. They are not open to design changes, or at least Twice Forsaken isn't, so leaving feedback is a bit of a waste. I only wanted to see them played so I could get a gauge of how players feel about them, as few forge maps have any sense of longevity, as they're usually never played again after the "testing" phase.

And on that note... Jesus, leave the map feedback and suggestions to forum posts. It's annoying as all hell listening to forgers running their mouths with what they think works and doesn't work and critiquing a map mid game. And **** sake, getting shot 5 whole seconds after spawning on occasion is NOT getting "spawn trapped" or "spawn killed"; it's a "hot spawn", which is perfectly acceptable in a map.

End Rant.

18. Goat

19. hop man

hop man Legendary

@SecretSchnitzel Although i am sure that you are a great forger (haven't played any of your maps), you have to be open to criticism when it comes to being a forger. I'm not trying to start an argument but you should know what someone means when they are saying "spawn trapped" or "spawn killed". To be spawn killed means 3 seconds after spawn you are killed by someone. This taking in, yes it is a hot spawn, but chill out when someone says "spawn killed" because in your post to this forum it sounds like you are getting easily pissed off at the fact that someone said that about your map, and to be honest makes you sound like a 12 year old forger. Let people give you feedback on your maps for it helps them get better. Yes, by the sounds of it, they were testing it for certain reasons, so let them test it! There is no point in you complaining about your maps being tested. If you really have a problem with them being 'tested' then have @Demption remove them off of the list in a DM instead of complaining about it publicly. Also, if you were in the party with them when the testers were "running their mouths" about your map, then maybe you should just leave, can't believe you are complaining about people criticizing your map, kind of pathetic. Again I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying i think you should learn how to take criticism and be respectful to others who are trying to give it. You will get no where in life if you don't accept criticism. Period, end of story. Good thing that you are doing here Demption.

20. WaiHo

WaiHo Talented

Oh boy.. Schnitzel is going to eat you alive. RIP

tbh, you read way too much into Schnitz' post. I'll just assume that you're new here.