I made a video detailing some of the current Halo 3 MCC Forge Bugs

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Hunter117, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Hunter117

Hunter117 New Member

If people could spread this around it would be appreciated. Hopefully it will get to 343 and make map making on Halo 3 easier in the future.

2. Hunter117

Hunter117 New Member

Update: Postums responded to my video saying he will pass the info onto the rest of the team. Hopefully this will get addressed in a patch at some point.

Zombievillan likes this.
  3. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Promethean
    Forge Critic Senior Member

That would be awesome but that glitch was there in the original Halo 3 Sandbox. One of the other many struggles us old folk had to deal with.

4. Sam Malone

Sam Malone New Member

Bungie love the number 7 so this .7 degree jankiness must be deliberate.

Good job sharing this and doing something to help ease the suffering of forgers! Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people gave up on the contest the moment they rediscovered how painful it is to forge in H3.

VeryHyped and Fritzster like this.
  5. Hunter117

Hunter117 New Member

Yeah I am aware it's a legacy glitch but we always used to think it was random. now we can see there's a consistent skew, atleast in this axis of rotation. Plus we have the tools to see how much it skews by.

Fritzster and Zombievillan like this.
  6. Zakspeeeed

Zakspeeeed New Member

According to Lookenpeeper from the HaloCustoms Discord:

"The half-float data type is inspired by the IEEE 754 standard, except sacrifices range and accuracy in favor of representation size. A half-float comprises a sign bit, a 5-bit exponent with a bias of 15, and a10-bit mantissa

This is why Halo 3 map objects never save in place. Range and accuracy of the float is sacrificed for a smaller files size. Instead of saving the float to a 4byte value they use HalfByte precision to save it as 5 bits (2 and a half bytes) Don't think there is anything i can do to make the floats rounded to 0 so we're stuck with shitty object placement on Halo 3."

This issue will likely never be fixed. At least by the community. It requires the devs to change how the engine saves .mvar files.

Fritzster, Zombievillan and a Chunk like this.
  7. Sam Malone

Sam Malone New Member

[​IMG]

I don't know if this happened that consistently in the original but this is the issue I've been going crazy about in the shoutbox. When using the clean faces on the Double/Single boxes on Foundry as flooring (which I swear I've seen work fine on maps before) dropped weapons can merge into them and players are unable to pick them up. Not sure if there is a way this could be fixed in an update somehow or if someone can bring this up to the devs.

8. VeryHyped

VeryHyped New Member

I just went through the experience of trying to fix bug issues for a few days on my large Sandbox map. I think the "all objects turn into blinking lights" visual bug happens when there are ~600 objects (of any kind) in your characters POV in real-time (even if it is hidden behind other objects). So if there are ~700, and you are looking toward 6/7 objects on the entire map, EVERYTHING will start to blink. But then you look away and can only see 5/7 objects on the map, and everything will immediately stop blinking. Don't know if people have identified the cause of this bug yet but I eventually figured out how to avoid it on my third map. Oh and spawns count as objects while in forge, but not in multiplayer matches, so the visual bug happens much more easily while forging.

Some other bugs I ran into: unwanted duplicating weapons after moving them while phased... which led me to delete one of them... which eventually deleted the duplication as well... which actually erased the permanent "free" items on the map without me realizing what was happening. (So confusing when it started happening). Red and blue lights have been sometimes turning off from the perspective of my laptop, but not the perspective of some other computers. And of course the YAW of objects reset .7 off from what I set them to prior, which I did a legit fix for a couple time but I don't understand how, and other times I just moved objects with trial and error to figure out how to make things work with the bug anyways.