Halo World Championship Tour is coming to X Games

Discussion in 'Articles' started by WAR, Jan 14, 2016.

By WAR on Jan 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM
  1. WAR

WAR Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

[​IMG]
    ESPN X Games and Xbox will team up to bring 'Halo 5: Guardians' to X Games Aspen 2016 from January 28-31, as part of the Halo World Championship Tour, and for the first time-ever, segments and highlights of the esports competition will be integrated into the X Games Aspen telecasts on ESPN. Eight of the top teams from around the world -- six from North America and two international teams -- will compete in group play that will culminate in a single-elimination bracket-style tournament onsite at X Games Aspen for medals and $30,000 in prize money. Competing teams will be participating in the Halo World Championship, however, the Halo World Championship Tour: X Games Aspen Invitational will not contribute points or change placements for the regional finals.

The three-day competition will take place onsite in The Gaming Shack located in the X Games Aspen festival villages. The event will also be streamed live on WatchESPN, Twitch.tv/Halo and mlg.tv/halo.

"We are thrilled to team with Xbox to feature the top gamers at X Games Aspen," said Tim Reed, vice president, X Games. "Gaming plays a big role in the youth culture and the Halo World Championship Tour: X Games Aspen Invitational nicely complements the world-class action sports competition and musical elements at the X Games."

"We are committed to the long-term growth of Halo esports through world-class events and the expansion of viewership around the globe," said Bonnie Ross, Microsoft CVP and head of 343 Industries. "There is no one better than X Games and ESPN to team up with for the Halo World Championship Tour, and we're excited to see the best teams compete for gold this January at the X Games Aspen Invitational."

More details on tickets and full music and competition schedules are available at XGames.com/tickets. As always, general admission to the action sports competitions and festival villages is free to the public.

source: xgames

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by WAR, Jan 14, 2016.

1. SepticonWarrior
      SepticonWarrior
      That's interesting to hear.
      While some form of an Elimination gametype is fun because it let's you try to come back against all odds, I think everyone agrees that it can be too slow for viewership as well as not a good indication of skill. One kill (or "Frag" if you are the Asian Commentators HAHA) can decide the outcome of a round, and in a game like Halo or any FPS really that can be achieved by random. Needing to sustain a victory over time or 3 Flag caps or 50 kills is far better indication of skill and more entertaining too.
    2. Doju
      Doju
      Frag is the most common term for a "kill" in FPS, its only really Halo that doesnt use it.

CS/SND would disagree. Its not the 1 life aspect of Breakout thats boring, it was the god awful implementation of it into a game that is not designed for it.
    3. SepticonWarrior
      SepticonWarrior
      I know about Frag referring to kills in other games. Just thought it was funny that they were using that term.

I'm talking about any mode where you have 1 life. In general, when a player has one chance to win, the skill involved is lessened, as compared to when a player does a series. You don't have one possession or at bat in sports to determine success and they have long seasons and playoff series. The Wildcard Playoff has been argued about increasing it to a series; in Football, everyone knows that the best team doesn't always win on any given Sunday.

Aside from maybe changing damage/weapons/nades/maps, I'm not sure what the correct way is to implement it in Halo 5 where it's both entertaining and skillful. Maybe increase lives to 3? Either way, players play more passively because death has more meaning. I don't think you can make that fun to watch; most prefer fast-paced action. But, I don't want to ramble on this lol.
    4. Doju
      Doju
      If it was 1 round yes. In things like CS, its 30 rounds. And that game has infinite more skill to it than modern day Halo.

To get players to move you have movement incentives on the map. Breakout didnt have enough of this. Symm maps, no attack/defense etc kills the gametype.