Halo 4 (MCC) Map Help

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Zeoinx, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Legendary

Previously Posted On Reddit

So I've been working on a custom map that is based on the "Forge Island" medium island size for Halo 4's game. I got the general map layout complete, but I'd like some assistance with map balance, weapon placement, vehicle placement, and of course, spawn locations and ideas to support various gametypes outside of CTF or TDM.

Let me know if anyone is interested, or at the very least can give advice , please reply.

Screeshots

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnuk9sjsths006x/Alpha Nine Base - H4 Forge Island.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yp66089y8aqb61/Alpha Nine Base - H4 Forge Island Concept Art.png?dl=0

If anyone who can't join me in this endeavor, but wants to see the map in full detail, I am able to stream the map and give a full tour on Twitch. Just let me know. Might even upload a video of it to youtube.

Might need to give a Text Tour too to give a bit of scale to these structures.

The Middle "Tree" and Stones is actually a cave network, that is quite tall, the structure in the back of the picture is slightly higher, as well as part of the close structure. The Cave network can fit in Warthog inside, (At least one entrance) but the other entrance is currently too narrow, I will prob change this, but as of right now, I am unsure which one to change, either both narrow or both wider.

Another problem with adding more varied terrain, is upsetting the "vehicle" pathing around the main "circle" of the map too much, as there is currently two loops around the entire map.

One other idea is also to make each base symmetrical, but again, I am unsure which base design to use if I were to go about that line of thought.

2. CertifiedChamp

there is no reason why you should compromise height variation for vehicle pathing, you can get both to work with each other seamlessly, judging by the pictures, that map will end up being boring and repetitive since every engagement will end up being the same - flat and two dimensional, add hills and micro geometry to help infantry fight vehicles and add variation to the ways you can approach a gunfight, height variation is crucial to the player's enjoyment of your map when it's done properly. Vehicle paths should be infantry friendly so that both vehicles and infantry can have an engagement that doesn't immediately punish an infantry for trying to traverse the map and promotes flow when infantry can fight back and choose their engagements as opposed to sprinting through a flat open field and hoping for the best

#2 CertifiedChamp, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  3. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Legendary

Have any idea how to go about this without sacrificing appearance offhand? I do have hight variation, I just have 2 very narrow rings that go around the map for warthogs. But if you guys have some advice on how to enhance this I'll gladly host this some time for us to go in game to take a look at what we can do.