Grifball , in minigames settings. *Help*

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by FORGE PLAY, Sep 12, 2017.

1. FORGE PLAY

FORGE PLAY ONI Agent

I have a grifball map that needs to be played with minigame settings.

But I need the bomb to function normally.
    -apply traits, color, and nav point.
    -spawn and respawn when dropped
    -normal announcer sounds.

Has this already been done?
    Are there any pre-fabs?

Send me an invite or message.

The idea is I need it to function exactly like grifball.

But allow a minigame object to be toggled before a game.

Or for the map to behave different when playing Griffball or minigame modes.

2. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

let's talk about it here...

As I recall, you want to have all scripted objects disabled during one game mode, and no others, correct? or vise versa? (please describe in more detail)

This is possible by means of making sure all scripts are on items that do not necessarily need to be present during the gametype in question, but are okay to be present all other times. If you can't do thta, then the leftover present, scripted objects, must not be able to perform their task without some other item which we will despawn. Like a brain that gives instructions for other objects to do something. If the brain is missing (despawned) then the other pieces won't get their instructions and will appear to have scripting off as far as anyone knows.

Then you will need a mechanism for detecting the gametype irrespective of the gametype labels. That's where the trick comes in. But I need to hear more about the two scenarios you have in mind (scripting vs no scripting) and more about what types of objects have scripts, and a little about what they specifically do.

3. FORGE PLAY

FORGE PLAY ONI Agent

Just two invisible targets.
    That release a dozen golf balls.

If I could set minigames to play like grifball.
    I could set the targets to 'sports ball exclude' and 'minigames include'.

>> The hard part is having a ball spawnpoint function properly in minigames.

Bomb spawns on an invisible object welded to a golf ball
    So physical 'sports ball object' can't replace it.
    (Because it can't weld, and doesn't spawn onto marked things)

4. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

describe the scenarios themselves.

1. You want something to appear in other types than Grifball. (the golf balls?)
    2. You want to play with the golf balls present any time you are not playing griffball?

IS that correct?

5. FORGE PLAY

FORGE PLAY ONI Agent

Yes.

Standard grifball: only the primary welded golf ball is present. (Functions as a moving grab able spawn)

The fake golf balls can only be triggered, in minigames.

I don't know who the minigames guy is for 343.
    But Nokyard said it sounds like a minigame.(grifball guy)

If playable two ways it would have a higher chance of getting featured.

Though without the fake golf balls it losses it's unique feature.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  6. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

Is grifball the main type used for the SportsBall game mode? If so, it may be as simple as forcing people who are using that mode, to NEVER see the scripted objects. If they play a mode that needs sportsball on your map, that isn't grifball, then they are SOL.

7. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

I had never used sportsball labels before, so I just tested. All you may need to do is label any item you don't want to exist for griffball, with the SportsBall Exclude label. It just tested this with a script brain set to have a visible boundary. Now, imagine that brain had scripts on it. nothing those scripts should do, would happen in a match where the brain never gets a chance to spawn. Note, if it doesn't work right away, you may also need to uncheck each script's "Always Run" option.

If your map is used for Slayer or any Core type, the items would still exist. Or, as it sounds, if your map is strictly for MiniGames and Griffball, then you can assume that by not restricting any items for the MiniGame modes (by adding a lable related to minis) nothing special will happen for the MiniGame modes. All your cool triggerable stuff will be there and able to be triggered by the scripts.

So, depending on your design, you may need to add SportsBall Exclude labels to:
    • Any brains
    • Targets
    • Golfballs
    To reiterate, you are bypassing the fact that there is no "turn off scripts for this gametype" option in Halo 5 by telling all scripted items to never spawn and do their thing, when a particular gametype is being played.

Good luck,