Game of Thrones/ASOIAF

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Yevah, May 1, 2016.

1. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

He didn't? His trip to Dragonstone ain't no stone's throw. Ever thought of that?

2. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

Okay so, that's a valid point but I have thought of that. Here's why I say that. Ep 3 Dany gets the news of what happened to her Greyjoy/Dornish fleet at the hands of Euron (while Jon is on Dragonstone mind you). In that time, Euron travels back to Kings Landing, then manages to sail around to the other side of Westeros to trap the Unsullied fleet at Lannisport while they are capturing Casterly Rock (even though the Unsullied had a head start, and the siege lasts no time at all because of the 'I built the sewers shenanigans'). So Jon is already at Dragonstone while this happens.

http://imgur.com/a/sMgNU

If you're going to acknowledge that Jon's 'trip to Dragonstone ain't no stone's throw', then you'd have to say Euron's trip to Casterly Rock 'ain't no stone throw.' I know things don't always happen chronologically in the show, and you don't want to show people travelling bc it's a damn tv show. My problem is I don't know when the hell **** is meant to be happening in relation to other scenes bc they show time passing so inconsistently (consider it took Sam a whole season to get to Oldtown).

ScaredHitman086 and Buddy Jumps like this.
  3. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

You're right, Euron seems too fast considering the distances. The only argument for the show's travelling times in this regard would be that he's the best captain of the world with the fastest ships and that Jon did most likely not hurry as much as Euron. But even then, we're looking at a significant difference in distances which had to be covered.

Anyway, I'm much more into the cinematography of this great show than perfect logic. The scenes with Euron simply served as a showcase, so the audience knows what he's capable of on the sea and in weapon combat. That he has motorboats with unlimited fuel is something I didn't want to think of or didn't come to mind. Cheers.

Xandrith likes this.
  4. ShaddoBlade

ShaddoBlade Fuzzy Little Man Peach

What a sh*t way to end an episode...

RegrettedKarma6 likes this.
  5. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

I really liked that last shot tho

ALSO SHE BURNED THE ****ING FOOD WAGONS FFS

#105 RegrettedKarma6, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Yevah and ShaddoBlade like this.
  6. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

That was an incredible episode.

Bronn is a ****ing beast

7. WARHOLIC

WARHOLIC Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

One of the best episodes I've seen in the series, those battle scenes were better than most blockbuster films, even those with high production budgets.

8. Dunco

Dunco Troll Whisperer
    Forge Critic

"You ****ing idiot."

This line was my absolute favorite.

Xandrith, Buddy Jumps and ShaddoBlade like this.
  9. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

Bran's line to Baelish was gold. It really makes you wonder if he was actually the one that sent the assassin to kill Bran in season 1.

ShaddoBlade likes this.
  10. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

I forget what Baelish was doing around then, what motivation would he have to kill Bran?

11. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

He wasn't. It was Joffrey who heard Bobby B say 'better dead than a cripple'. Littlefinger took advantage of that to start the war of five kings (by blaming Tyrion).

12. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

So that he could frame the Lanisters (specifically Tyrion) and start some internal conflict.

Xandrith likes this.
  13. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

I have so many complaints about this episode, and season in general. My soul hurts from watching that.

1. Rhaegar/Lyanna/AEGON/Bobby B's rebellion
    > When you romanticise Rhaegar/Lyanna when it was a young 14 year old girl (probs like 17-18 or something in the show) with the heir to the Iron throne. An heir who abandoned his wife and two children because of an obsession to get some young northern girl and 'three heads' bs prophecy.

> When you say Robert's Rebellion was built on a lie but no one knew of the wedding, Rhaegar never sought a truce after his father Aerys murdered Brandon and Rickard Stark and called for the heads of Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark. Instead plans to depose Aerys after he wins the Battle of the Trident, where he ****ing gets rekt in the chest by Bobby B.

>Leads to the death of the Martell Princess, and Rhaenys and Aegon. Wait Aegon? THEY CALLED ANOTHER SON AEGON. Should have called the girl Aegon too!

>Have some autistic seer perv on your wedding, and remark how R+L loved each other so it's okay that they caused thousands to die and a dynasty to fall.

*Some of those things are just my feelings and could be interpreted otherwise in the show. I'm just bitter that it was romanticised like that. IMO I think Ned's sacrifice is way cooler to focus on, dude's got PTSD from all that ****.

I also felt R+L=J leading to Jon being legitimate absolutely shits on one of the central arcs for Jon's story. “Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.” Jon joined the NW because of his identity as a bastard. He was always part of the Stark family, but a little apart too. Catelyn's hatred of him, Ghost, his relationship with his half-siblings (cousins), his bastard and a half sword, his questions about his mother. Everything seems central to that bastard part of his identity. Imo it's more compelling to have him as a royal bastard and I really hope George doesn't go down this road if he ever gets there.

2. The Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger plot
    The show destroyed Littlefinger's character after season 4 when they ran out of material for him. Made the dude a fool. The Vale plot of the books wouldn't exactly be compelling TV, but selling Sansa to the Boltons was nonsensical. The marriage can't be legitimate bc there's no high septon annulling the Tyrion/Sansa marriage. Ramsay is renown for his cruelty (especially towards women), so Littlefinger's entire character from s5 onward is flawed and contradictory. It was terrible for Sansa's character (it did lead to some tremendous scenes between Alfie Allen/Sophie turner tho), and it was done purely because the writers wanted more shock value, and to coincide with the show giving Stannis' northern plot to Jon.

Arya's character was so inconsistent. I didn't care for the 'acting' twist. The writers consistently fall into this trap of doing things for shock value over and over. The Red Wedding makes sense because it shocks the viewer, but we understand how it got to that stage. Same with the Purple Wedding. Same even with Cersei's wildfire trap (with which there were 0 consequences for this season)?
    This Winterfell subplot was a load of contrived bs designed to keep Winterfell relevant in the story after they made a whole season building up to Winterfell being retaken. Waste of screen time. The whole subplot made me cringe.

Even the exchange where Brienne and Arya fought was ridiculous. 'No one'. Yeah exactly, you haven't been training with a sword since you were with the Hound. And Needle doesn't hold a candle against VALYRIAN steel, that scene filled me with rage.

3. Jaime's character.
    Jaime is one of my fav characters in ASOIAF. NCW is also the best dude to play him in the show. He's complex, nuanced, shades of grey, and his character arc is sooooo satisfying.

Compare
    Qyburn’s words were terse and to the point, Cersei’s fevered and fervent. Come at once, she said. Help me. Save me. I need you now as I have never needed you before. I love you. I love you. I love you. Come at once.

Vyman was hovering by the door, waiting, and Jaime sensed that Peck was watching too. “Does my lord wish to answer?” the maester asked, after a long silence.

A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. “No,” he said. “Put this in the fire.”

- to the show. Jaime's character has stagnated since season 4, and his leaving was because of a pledge, not because of his relationship with Cersei. Why? The show writers want his betrayal of Cersei (I'm talking Valanquor strangling here) to be more shocking to the audience. It's going to be more shocking if Jaime leaving is less a result of their relationship deteriorating. He was set on leaving to the north because of a pledge (not a solemn oath). In the books Jaime is this strange broken shell piecing himself together, oddly enough, while detaching himself from Cersei. He's still attached here for whatever reason and it just fundamentally changes his character.

I have a lot more thoughts on the absence of logic within the show this season, and the time/travel fallacies that occured every single episode, but I'll hold off of them because I know they're redundant to most people at this point.

Some positives were that beautiful scene with Jaime riding off with the snow beginning to fall, and I don't know, Peter Dinklage/Tyrion got to shine through a little bit again. Also I do feel they did Theon's character right (Alfie Allen is brilliant), the Jon/Theon scene was nicely done. I did quite like a lot of the Dragonpit scenes. My problems with the show mainly revolve around its storytelling clearly. The production value is still brilliant. Amidst all this hate, I still love parts of the show, and it's possibly the only ending I'll get here ahahah.

14. ShaddoBlade

ShaddoBlade Fuzzy Little Man Peach

Yeah... I would agree that the R+L romance seems to leave a lot of holes regarding Robert's Rebellion.

The scene between Jaime and Cersei definitely left a lot to be desired, even from someone who hasn't read the books.

I'll be the first to shamefully admit they got me with Sansa. I was so ready to throw her to the wolves when she "turned" on Arya.

Ooo, the Jon and Dany romance... *eye roll* AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO CARES THAT SHE'S HIS AUNT?

That final scene was amazing. I don't know what I expected from the dragon, but the Night King riding it... Holy sh*t. What a BAMF.

All in all, this season felt a little lackluster, but as much as it is building up, next season should be fantastic.

RegrettedKarma6 likes this.
  15. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

Bump for the least satisfying ending imaginable.

16. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    343 Industries Forge Critic Creative Force

Agreed. Very unsatisfied with that as an ending. But even disregarding my expectations as an ending, this was probably my least favorite episode in the series due to its awful pacing, poor dialogue and lack of consistency for anything that was put into place even in this season alone.

Cinematography was incredible though and acting was solid (only fault being poor writing for the characters).

#116 Blaze, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  17. CertifiedChamp

CertifiedChamp ONI Agent

i love GoT, started watching a month before season 5 started and was hooked, it was and still is my favorite show on television, but the nose dive it took in season 7&8 is incredibly disappointing, especially season 8. The years of investment i have put into the show hasn't felt like it paid off. Season 6 was pretty great for the most part and ended in a way that is satisfying and ambiguous enough to just pretend the last 2 seasons dont exist and make up my own ending. What a joke, an insult to both the fans and the source material. Thanks to D&D for ruining the best series in television history.

MULLERTJE, Buddy Jumps, Blaze and 2 others like this.
  18. no god anywhere

no god anywhere Legendary

What erks me the most is they ****ed it up so bad it not even rewatchable now. The ending literally ruined the whole series. Id just feel like all the plot and character development is pointless and time wasted for everyone that made it to the later seasons besides a handful.

I legitimately would advise anyone that hasnt watched game of thrones to stop watching at the end of season 7. Its just THAT bad. Never have i ever seen something so good ****ed so hard.

#118 no god anywhere, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  19. WARHOLIC

WARHOLIC Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

Character development was thrown out the window in favor of surprising audiences with unpredictable endings. The entire season felt rushed. If this ending was similar to the one the author had in mind then it should have been spread across multiple seasons to allow proper character development and pacing for the viewer to understand why those choices are being made psychologically. Too much wrap up and not enough build up. Spoiled the show's legacy in my opinion. This was my fav TV series of all time so its difficult for me to come to terms with its conclusion. Did you know there's actually a petition going around to refilm the season and its gotten over 1M signatures on it already?

20. MULLERTJE

MULLERTJE ROGUE

You guys are all right.

I have nothing to add.

Well I have but **** it.

Buddy Jumps and CertifiedChamp like this.