Game of Thrones/ASOIAF

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Yevah, May 1, 2016.

1. OutlawSkot33

OutlawSkot33 ONI Agent

Two weeks late buuuut: You need to read books 4 and 5. Book 4 is slow, but there far more in it left out of season 4 and 5. Book 5 is great and there is a bunch of things as well not in the show along with some things the show changed for the worse.

MULLERTJE likes this.
  2. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

So I just finished The Sworn Sword and I highly recommend these novellas, damn good stuff.

Yevah likes this.
  3. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Just finished the final episode of season 6, so now I can discuss stuffs with you all.

So yeah, **** Cersei.

Buddy Jumps and Zandril like this.
  4. Zandril

Zandril Spartan III

That didn't take long haha

5. Erupt

Erupt Legendary

Just watched the whole thing in roughly 3 weeks. What a glorious show. They set season 7 up to be intense.

Xandrith, Yevah and Buddy Jumps like this.
  6. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

Soooooooooooo anyone want to talk about the first two eps?????
    I do and will anyway.

I liked the first episode. It was a lot stronger than previous year's first eps. I think the standout scenes were absolutely the Brotherhood w/out Banners scenes. The gravedigger nod to the books was especially neat. I also enjoyed the soldiers/Arya scene by the campfire a lot.

I still felt there were some moments of lazy writing. Might seem like nitpicking but it completely takes me out of the show and ruins the immersion.

Euron's fleet literally sails past Dragonstone and back past it after for his audience with Cersei and leaves the perfect staging point for an invasion completely undefended???? Alrighty then. The other scene that pissed me off was Jon/Lyanna's 'all boys/girls/women train to fight segment'. Okay then guess no one will be supplying you with food and clothing??? Little 10 year old girl manhandles grown men about the patriarchy in middle ages, grown men say 'okay girl'. Fanservice and sjw catering **** me. Makes 0 sense in the context of the story.

Also Arya totally would have had to impersonate Walder Frey for a full week doing lordly stuff she would have no clue about and no education on. Nice. Cheesy. Nice and cheesy. The Faceless men are a cult, they're servants for the Many-Faced God and lose their identities as a sacrifice for their powers. Yeeet Arya keeps her powers and her identity. Uncool storytelling. No consequence, and now she's a super-powered, plot-breaking machine woo.

I also enjoyed this episode (but haven't rewatched yet). Euron is meme and my one true king after dead boi Stannis now. It was beyond pleasant to see the Sand sneks die after they avenged their Father by ruthlessly killing his beloved family.

I loved that we finally got to see Nymeria's wolfpack. Also the, 'That isn't you', line that hearkened back to Arya saying 'That isn't me' to Ned way back in S1 was such a nice little line. The throwbacks in these first two episodes have been surprisingly great.

Also nice to see the writers at least acknowledging their own plotholes, calling out Varys finally. To be fair I can see why the hole was there in the first place, considering Varys backs a different Targ/Blackfyre in the books.

I think the main thing I'm constantly disappointed with in the show is the characterisation. Jaime's character stagnates instead of growing and evolving. Same deal with Theon, stablises, regresses, stabilises, regresses. They do it for plot convenience and it's so transparent.

Finally. **** THE MISSANDEI/GREYWORM ****. They only had 13 eps left at that point and they chew up screentime for that????

7. ShaddoBlade

ShaddoBlade Fuzzy Little Man Peach

Nathalie Emmanuel is a goddess, so hush.

Also, f*ck Theon

Nitro, a Chunk, WARHOLIC and 2 others like this.
  8. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

Oh **** a wild ShaddoBlade appears
    But yeah, Reek's a *****

Nitro and ShaddoBlade like this.
  9. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

Theon saved her, though, be it unintentionally or not.

a Chunk, Chronmeister and ShaddoBlade like this.
  10. ShaddoBlade

True, but he could have threw down his sword and surrendered to get the same result... or challenged him or something other than tucking his tail and running.

Buddy Jumps likes this.
  11. Zandril

Zandril Spartan III

The PTSD's too intense for him to do anything. Welcome back, Reek.

RegrettedKarma6 likes this.
  12. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

The PTSD is actually realistic if anything. Just so frustrating as a viewer because it's kind of redundant at this point.

ShaddoBlade likes this.
  13. Yevah

Yevah Promethean

I loved the reek scene. It showed how powerful his PRSD truly is. Though if the show had good writing, he wouldn't have fought an entire battle first, his PTSD would have kicked in when the fighting began.

I love the show but the writing since season 5 has just been so terrible. It honestly takes me out of the show at times and if I'm with family members watching it, it's just so cringey and awkward.

The greyworm/missandai scene...are you ****ing kidding me. What a waste of 5 minutes.

14. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

Yeah I feel the same. Since season 5, logic and consequence have gone out the window. Plus they keep butchering great characters (Arya, Jaime, Stannis, Littlefinger, Varys etc). I just want winds already man. George said recently that it's still months away and guarantees that there will at least be one or two books out next year (The other being that history one 'Fire and Blood'), but considering the man's gauge on time I don't expect it until 2020 lmao.

Yevah likes this.
  15. Yevah

Yevah Promethean

Yeah I keep up with that daily. I really expected winds this year. Pretty devestating news...my guess is next year, but I've been guessing that for years.

16. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

So I mean this ep succeeded in moving the plot along I guess, but christ that was underwhelming.

17. ShaddoBlade

Seems like they just fast-forwarded through a lot of it. I'd be curious to see how much time passed between the end of ep 2 and 3.

18. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

Olenna Tyrell yet again proving she's more badass than 95% of the rest of the characters.

I wonder if Cersei has the capacity for more evil. Probably.

So happy for Jorah

Jon Snow for Best Brooder 2020

Think Jaime is starting to reconsider his devotion to Cersei.

19. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

"This is Jon Snow... He's King in the North."

Me in that scene: Not alive

ShaddoBlade likes this.
  20. RegrettedKarma6

RegrettedKarma6 Recruit

Legit. Euron's fleet travels from the Iron Islands to King's Landing, to somewhere off the coast of Dorne, back to King's Landing, to Casterly Rock all the in the space of an episode. Look at the map and that **** should have taken many many months. The idea that Jon was basically captive on Dragonstone for months sits weird with me.