ForgeHub Feedback/suggestions/ideas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SIR IRON WOLF, Nov 23, 2016.

1. SIR IRON WOLF

SIR IRON WOLF A Floating Lightbulb
    Staff Member Administrator Forge Critic

Hello everyone! Us here on the staff would like to know a bit more about what you, the community, would like to see improved or done here on ForgeHub. Getting feedback, suggestions, and ideas from you guys will help us get an idea of where to focus our attention on and help make this site better where we can. We might not be able to act on everything posted but we will do our best to make ForgeHub even greater.

If you have ideas for contests, post them. Community involvement? Post them. Article Ideas? Post them. Anything you would like to see improved or added - don't be afraid to post it.

When posting and discussing remember to keep it constructive, if you don't like an idea someone has then you can disagree, but don't just say "that idea is stupid". Express why you don't like the idea or why it might not work. Just keep it civil.

Thanks!

#1 SIR IRON WOLF, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2016
  2. Chronmeister

Chronmeister Blockhead
    Forge Critic Senior Member

3. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

I mentioned this to War in a PM a while back, just before the Twitter feed vanished entirely, but I guess I could mention it again here.

First would be to get the Twitter feed back. Then make the Twitter feed header into a hotlink to the Twitter feed. We shouldn't have to go a round about way to the Twitter feed when we could be directed right to it. Okay, just once more to get it out of my system - !!TWITTER FEED!!

Secondly, since the Calendar doesn't work, just permanently replace it with the Foregecast image and make the header a hotlink to the Foregecast post. This way we don't have to give up the valuable front page main focus space to a rarely changing events page.

4. qrrby

qrrby Waggly piece of flesh

One of the questions I see most asked by the influx of new people is "anyone wanna test my map?" I've thought about many different ways to address this; from staff designated for reviews, to implementing a standardized rubric for testing lobbies, but they all are too focused and opinionated.
    This type of interaction, testing and reviewing and customs, is a staple of this community, and as such should be shown off rather than hidden (not that a little simple research and questions wouldn't bring oneself to them anyway).
    I suggest a "Forgehub Resources" tab on the sidebar. This could include staple lobbies (Max, Ascend, etc.) that have shown commitment and feasible results for map growth, map design guides, FAQs, tutorials and the like.
    Side effects may include minor power trips for a new way to be "featured", interaction actually decreasing due to more access to resources and less need of "teachers, and more maintenance of the website due to fluctuating lobbies and what not.

All in all, I think the positives outweigh the negatives; let me know what you think!

Toastman likes this.
  5. Sn1p3r C

Sn1p3r C Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

Question - is there a Forgehub Spartan Company? I know we have a Discord, but I'm curious about the in-game aspect as well.

6. Nitro

Nitro Guilty Spark

Twitter = dead!! j/k :p I know somethings haven't been fixed and others are in the works on being fixed, so bare with us. I think the getting the calendar/events page back could be very essential to showing lobby times and such. I would like to see Xbox clubs integrated somehow, but that may be a stretch right now.

Noted. I do like where this is going by the way.

Here you go - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/forgehub

Preacher001 and qrrby like this.
  7. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

Regarding Community Favorites, I wrote this up a while back when I was an active staff member. I'll preface it by saying that I already know the automated system isn't going away. I think that's the wrong decision though, and I hope it will be reconsidered.

Current system pros: Automated, no personal bias involved

Current system cons: Poor selections, restricted to maps submitted during a certain time period, not easy for members to know when voting is open, susceptible to manipulation, no community interaction.

Old system pros: Selections reflect popular opinion, nominations aren't restricted to maps submitted during a specific time period, interactive (lots of member involvement).

Old system cons: Based upon personal preference/bias, susceptible to manipulation, more labor intensive for staff.

I initially was excited about the automated system for Community Favorites. We've had a couple of years to refine the algorithms to assure that the best maps are selected, and while it has improved there are still regularly maps included that are sub-par, and maps excluded that should (imo) be eligible. We also don't have a simple way of disqualifying maps that should not be eligible (maps that we're planning to feature, for example). The voting process itself feels sterile. There's no place for discussion to happen about the maps until the winners have already been determined and announced. Members are confused and suspicious about what criteria are used during the selection process.

I feel strongly that a return to the old system (or something like it) would be for the best. While it also has its downsides, the positives far outweigh them, imo. The primary purpose of the site is to find/share/discuss forge and forge maps. While it was once important that the process require little time and effort from the staff, that's no longer the case. It no longer makes sense to sacrifice community interaction/involvement in favor of simplifying the process for the staff. We need to be doing whatever we can to encourage discussion and interaction on the site. Returning to a more manual, community driven process makes sense now that we have the manpower to allow it. And really, it doesn't require that much work by the staff anyway. It adds 2 articles per month, but they are obscenely simple articles to do, and require probably less than 10 minutes of work combined. It's time to return the 'Community Favorites' entirely into the hands of the community.

Since not everyone may be familiar with the old system, it consisted of 3 parts: Nomination, Voting, and Results.

Nominations - Members are allowed to nominate 3 maps.
    Example article: https://www.forgehub.com/threads/forge-hub-favorites-xxi-nominations.131589/

Voting - The 5 maps with the most nominations are listed using the built in Polling system. Members are allowed to vote for their favorite.
    Example article: https://www.forgehub.com/threads/forgehub-favorites-xxix-voting.135146/

Results - This is the same as what we're already doing currently.
    Example article: https://www.forgehub.com/threads/forge-hub-favorites-41.141815/

Edit: Apparently none of the links to the Winners Announcement threads are valid anymore, probably as a result of changing the forum organization multiple times. I've not been able to find a valid link, but it's a simple announcement of the winners, which is essentially the same as what's currently being done.

#7 a Chunk, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  8. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger

I actually never really had an issue with the old system. You knew when those certain groups were going to stop certain maps from getting picked because you knew what group ran with what group.

a Chunk likes this.
  9. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

Well this seems like a good thread to discuss what's been discussed in like ten different threads.

10. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

What are everyone's thoughts on the number of forums? There are currently 3 different forums (Halo Discussion, Forge Discussion, Off Topic). Should some of them be merged/eliminated? Should there be additional forum sections?

Also curious about testing lobbies. A lot of people show up here either looking for a way to get their maps tested, or wondering how they can get in testing lobbies. What's the best way to make them easily accessible?

11. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

I don't think there's a need for both Halo Discussion and Forge Discussion at this point in Halo 5's life. Don't think it would be weird to just consolidate then into "Halo and Forge Discussion".

As for testing lobbies, some sort of calendar somewhere could be really helpful.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 3, 2017 ---
    Also, the name "Forge-cast" does not clearly scream "come here to find lobbies to test your map" to me

The Omicron and a Chunk like this.
  12. purely fat

A monthly or weekly community spotlight of members of this site. Where you sit down and interview them.

The Omicron, a Chunk and AceOfSpades like this.
  13. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

Ooh I do miss these. I think a couple have been done in Halo 5, but not near once a month, which I think is a reasonable amount of time to get them done.

@SIR IRON WOLF @Nitro, would be really cool to see this. Helps put a little more personality to some names some people might not have had the chance to interact with really.

The Omicron, SIR IRON WOLF and Nitro like this.
  14. Nitro

Nitro Guilty Spark

I'll make sure that @The Omicron and @Ascend Hyperion see this.

I too miss the community member spotlights. Maybe we can see some of those soon. :)

So thanks for your feedback @purely fat @AceOfSpades .

The Omicron likes this.
  15. purely fat

You can thank me by putting my post back up in the WAYMA.

16. SIR IRON WOLF

SIR IRON WOLF A Floating Lightbulb

We started to do a little thing like that in the Forge-cast, recognizing members of the community, it was always meant to be more of a surprise thing and a little nod to them so there was never any interviews but i like the idea of doing it on a more bigger scale like suggested

purely fat and The Omicron like this.