Extermination

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Duke of Mearl, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Duke of Mearl

Forge Critic

[​IMG]

Hey guys, this is Duke of Mearl with the Alliance Testing Network and today I’m excited to announce a new competitive game type that we’ve created called Extermination. This game is something I’ve been working almost exclusively on for the last couple months and it is finally at a point where it can be presented to the community. I’d like to acknowledge two other individuals that have been instrumental in creating this game type: Scrub Mee, for a lot of the initial ideas regarding the game type, and Max Extra, for optimizing the game type and creating the scripting that has helped bring the game to the next level. Now, without further adieu I’d like to present to you Extermination!

---WHAT IS EXTERMINATION---

Extermination is a multi-round 4v4 competitive game mode. The goal of Extermination is to eliminate the enemy team, just like in slayer. However, in Extermination you must have all of the enemy players dead at the same time. Players will respawn 15 seconds after being killed meaning that once the first enemy is dead you have 15 seconds to kill the rest of the enemy team.

For the most part standard Halo 5 settings apply, with the main exception being that the respawn timer is set to 15 seconds instead of 8. This means the game type still feels like regular Halo, which is something we wanted to focus on when designing the game type. Another main difference is that power ups and power weapons (or weapon pads) will spawn after 1 minute (power up 1 minute since it had been last picked up). Power weapons, and pick up weapons, tend to come with less ammo than you’d find in most game variants.

Each round lasts for 2 minutes with the power weapons and/or power ups spawning on a minute timer. A team wins a round when they get an Extermination, which means they have successfully killed all of the members of the other team within a 15 second time period. The first team to win 5 rounds will be the winner. A game will also end after 3 ties occur.

What I really enjoy about Extermination is that it requires a combination of skill and strategy and takes place in a fast-paced environment. Players will get punished for their mistakes and communication, while not required, makes it a great team experience. Each round lets you reset to employ strategies, and counter strategies, in order to try and out maneuver the enemy team. It feels like a fresh, new Halo core game type.

---EXTERMINATION MAPS---

The maps for this game type are a bit different than your average map; maps for this game type are what you would expect to see in a 1v1 match. It is important that a map is designed in such a way that while a player could survive on their own, it is not because the enemy team can not find them. For this reason many maps do not feature nooks, crannies and hiding spots as they can be frustrating and prolong the game.

The small maps allow players to be found quickly and this leads to exciting, fast-paced gameplay. Engagements happen constantly meaning you need to be prepared to fight as soon as you respawn. Being the last player alive on your team can be a scary experience as you try and stake it out until more of your teammates can respawn.

This game type works for both symmetrical and asymmetrical maps. Teams swap initial spawns each round to help ensure that asymmetrical maps fair and balanced.

---EXTERMINATION STARTER MAP PACK---

The game type and starter maps can all be taken from HaloATN’s bookmarks. We are starting off by launching 7 maps to play with the game type. We hope to add quality maps to the list on a frequent basis. If you have a map for this game type please post it to the Extermination Map submission page (not here). The link to that page can be found below.

Game Mode Link

HALOATN PROFILE PAGE

REMAINS by Duke of Mearl and Partarar.
    [​IMG]
    Forge Hub Map Page
    Download Link

Remains is a symmetrical map that set in an industrial area that has been abandoned for many years. The map features a damage boost and a Plasma Caster, with the Needler being another popular weapon of choice.

HARBINGER by Max Extra

[​IMG]
    Forge Hub Map Page
    Download Link

Harbinger is a symmetrical Forerunner style map. The map features a scattershot as its main weapon as well as a power up; the power up changes from an active camo (at map start) to a damage boost (at the minute mark).

TIMEFRAME by Ascend Hyperion

[​IMG]
    Forge Hub Map Page
    Download Link

Timeframe is a symmetrical Destiny Vex themed map on the Barrens canvas. The map features a speed boost and a REQ rail gun and you can expect battles for both of these each round.

FACE TO FACE by BodeyBode

[​IMG]
    Forge Hub Map Page
    Download Link

Face to Face is a symmetrical map that takes a simplified approach to the Halo Map “Narrows”. The map features a Sniper on the bottom level of the bridge and man cannons on the sides of both bases.

WATCH by Partarar

[​IMG]
    Forge Hub Map Page
    Download Link

Watch is a symmetrical Destiny-themed map, taking place on a Destiny Tower Plaza. The power weapon on Watch is a Closed Fist Boltshot.

SORCERER by Natabase

[​IMG]
    Forge HubMap Page
    Download Link

Sorcerer is a remake of the Halo map Wizard made to cater to Extermination. The map features a speed boost in the top middle of the map and a sentinel beam in the bottom middle. The map also has a set of two-way teleporters that allows players to quickly get from one side of the map to the other.

PERENNIAL by Partarar

[​IMG]
    Forge Hub Map Page
    Download Link

Perennial is a symmetrical figure eight shaped map that features a grenade launcher as its power weapon. The map’s aesthetics are reminiscent of an 80's Sci-Fi movie.

-----

I hope you enjoy this game as much as we have during the creating process. Please use this thread to talk about the game type.

HERE is a link for the Extermination Forge Guide thread. Any questions regarding forging and setting up maps for Extermination should be posted there. Also, if you make a map for the game mode please post the link in the other thread as we’d love to see it!

Special Thanks to the ATN Team, Agent Zero85, The Scripting Guild, Creative Force and ForgeHub for their overwhelming support during the creation process.

CHECK OUT OUR FORGE HUB FEATURE:
    https://www.forgehub.com/threads/extermination-wipe-them-out.154893/

#1 Duke of Mearl, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. Duke of Mearl

Forge Critic

12/27/16 Patch Notes-

Game Mode:
    Radar fixed from 40m to 20m
    Kills per round shown in Scoreboard
    Max grenades spartan can hold is 2 per type (only spawn with 1 frag still)

Remains:
    Map colors altered
    Middle structure (with damage boost) changed to make clambers easier, now accessible from bottom
    Red Stairs now clamberable from side
    Projectile blockers added to all stairs

Harbinger:
    Camo glitch fixed (now spawns in round 1)
    Grenades added

Timeframe:
    Changed power weapon from Whiplash to default Railgun

Watch:
    Changed Closed Fist to Saw
    Grenades added

1/14/2017 Patch Notes-

Spawn swapping should only be set on asymmetrical maps (it was confusing players on symmetrical maps)
    Game Mode now uses Breakout instead of minigame. You can get the link in the post above

#2 Duke of Mearl, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  3. KeeLoker

KeeLoker ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

Do extermination maps need to be custom built cause I've made two on dev maps and just edited it for the gamemode

4. Duke of Mearl

Forge Critic

We were working on a few dev maps one but they weren't playing to the standards we'd have like them too. I'd be interested to see them

5. KeeLoker

KeeLoker ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

Yeah I haven't tested them yet. I was planning to put it someone's testing lobby. It probably won't be the best though cause I don't usually forge arena style maps

6. Drizzy_Dan

Drizzy_Dan Spartan I

Glad to see this officially announced. Kudos on making this unique gametype and the maps they work with. Good stuff Duke.

7. TheAmazingE 123

TheAmazingE 123 Spartan I

8. Goat

Goat Rock Paper Scissors Scrap
    Forge Critic Senior Member

After having thought about the mode a bit, I think it's missing something: An Objective.

1. In a normal match of Slayer, the objective is to get map control. Killing the enemy team is just a byproduct of that. You can technically gain map control without ever killing a player in a Slayer match.

In Extermination however, the objective is pretty much just kill the enemy team in 15 seconds. At first glance, this means that players are going to be hyper aggressive and chase after each other. But what I foresee happening at a high level is players instead playing super slowly and not taking any risk. Of course, you can argue that map design plays into the team's ability to play like that, which brings me to my second point.

2. A lot of these maps look aesthetically pleasing, but from a design perspective they end up being glorified Octagons. There isn't much in the way of strategy or lane management going on and that makes the game mode very shallow. With an objective in tow, designers will be forced to think of a location to place it and lanes to travel to it (or with it). That will lead to smarter level design, which can only enrich the gametype.

3. The last reason is that I think the game mode is going to get very repetitive very fast. You aren't managing respawns, you aren't controlling the map, you aren't vying for an objective. All you're doing is killing people super fast. So while that has its own charm, the novelty will wear off and prevent Extermination from being anything more than a mini game.

In Destiny's Elimination mode, a control point spawns at the end of a round to break a tie. I think Extermination needs something like this present throughout the match. That way, instead of designing maps that force people into engagements by just being Octagons, you force people into engagements with an Objective.

#8 Goat, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Orzium, KeeLoker and Dunco like this.
  9. Max Extra

Max Extra Forged Friday Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Forge Critic

We did mention earlier that objectives are on the way and we feel that the game mode would improve greatly or at least hold the same value with objectives, but we think that the slayer variant should be able to stand on its own. Currently we have very few maps and they where created by people for the start of the project, and we all generally swing the same way on how the game type should play on them. That's why it would be great to see others who are new or learning it to create maps for it and hopefully out do us. Personally before I default to a objective in the base game type I would like to see more maps created and more game on them to see how much map design alone can influence the game type.

We have quite a few varieties of objectives in the works and we are always looking for input on how to move forward.

10. Vorked

Vorked Spartan I

I have a Sanctuary remix in the works that I'd love to set up with this game mode.

11. brusky0086

brusky0086 HSFN/iForge
    Forge Critic Senior Member

You guys have done a great job with this gametype.It is very fun in my lobbies right now but ive only got to run Ascends and Dukes which are great.Im gonna get to the rest of those rad looking maps very soon.Great Job ATN.

12. AlexVan123

AlexVan123 Halo Customs

(I'm a bit late to the party, I know)
    Great job folks! This gametype is an excellent mode for both casual and "sweaty" play.

Now you just have to get to that asymmetric map ;)