Hey guys, this is Duke of Mearl from the Alliance Testing Network (ATN) and I'm thrilled to announce ForgeHub's next map contest! A few weeks ago, our elimination game mode, Extermination, was featured by ForgeHub and the response from the community has been overwhelming! If Extermination is still new to you, check out the video below for a brief introduction to the mode:
For this contest, ForgeHub has decided to team up with ATN, the creators of this mode, to bring you the first ever Extermination map contest! We’ve already seen some really cool Extermination creations from the Forge community and are excited to see what else you can create! Maps are typically sized between 1v1 and 2v2 providing an opportunity to express your visual artistic freedoms more liberally than traditional 4v4 maps. While the prospect of this spacial liberation may inspire your visual expression first, please remember that creative gameplay value is just as important!
With this contest, the ForgeHub Staff is attempting to make the judging process more transparent so people can see the entire process and comments made by the judges. On this Trello board, we will have all of the submissions, rules, and judging available for public viewing, allowing for a more transparent approach to how contests and map submissions are selected. By introducing this method, this will also give both the map creators and the community the ability to view things at face value. This way, everyone who submits a map will also be able to receive feedback on their creations, straight from the judges themselves.
Link to the Extermination Operations Board: https://trello.com/b/QHezoMxc/forgehub-alliance-testing-network-extermination-contest
Total Prize Pool: $1000
Once again, when the judges establish the top 5 maps from the contest, the community will be given an opportunity to select a 1st place winner for some extra bragging rights.
- Top 5 maps get $200 USD each
- Inclusion to ForgeHub's Featured Maps Library
- Video feature on ForgeHub's YouTube channel
In addition to monetary prizes, ForgeHub and the ATN are working together to host an Extermination tournament. The top maps from this contest will most likely be considered for inclusion, though we may also consider content outside of this contest for the tournament. We will provide more concrete details when we make them, so stay tuned.
Build Time: 1.5 months
Deadline: March 3rd
Entries must be submitted no later than March 3rd at 11:59 PST. Judging will begin directly after the submission deadline and winners will be announced as soon as judging is completed. Any files that are altered after the submission deadline will be disqualified so we strongly recommend you create an additional save file for your submission into the contest and not to touch that file.
Remember that every time you save your map you have to change the visibility settings so that everyone can see it. There is also an assortment of glitches that can disable visibility as well. Please make sure that the map is visible prior to the contest deadline.
Once you have submitted your map you may no longer make any major adjustments to the layout however you will have 1 week to ensure that your map is set up properly to work with the game mode. We will provide tutorials for this below in our 'resources' section. Members of ATN will also try to make themselves available to the forgers during this time to assist those needing help to properly set up their game modes.
Here's the link to the Submission Thread.
Judging commences on March 12th
Two of the most important aspects of an Extermination map are gameplay and aesthetics.
Here are some of the things the judges will be looking for:
1. Map Size/Layout: Are matches finishing in a timely manner (without ending in a lot of ties)? Do you have a chance to survive as the last person standing on your team? Is the map easy to traverse?
2. Readability: Are you able to easily tell where you are on the map? Are you able to make callouts distinguishable?
3. Spawns: Are you spawning into unwinnable situations? Are spawns facing weird directions or into death pits? Are you able to orient yourself quickly after spawning? Do spawns switch every round (asymmetrical maps only)?
4. Enjoyment: Are play areas interesting to fight on? Are teams able to fight their way back after being down? Are initial spawns fair for both teams?
5. General: Can you break out of the map? Are clambers working? Does the map have name volumes/intro cameras/static cameras/outro cameras/etc. ? Is playable and non-playable space clearly defined?
6. Weapons: Are power weapons and Power ups are set to 1 minute timers? Do the other weapons feel natural on the map? Are any of the weapons too powerful?
1. Performance: Does the map suffer from any negative visual or performance issues (i.e. z-fighting, drops in framerate, lighting glitches, etc.)?
2. Originality: Is the map interesting and unique?
3. Immersion: Does the map immerse the player? Is the theme well put together and convincing?
- ForgeHub -
- Alliance Testing Network -
Duke of Mearl
- 343 Industries -
In order to promote transparency Duke of Mearl will be streaming the first round of judging of the contest submissions. This will allow for forgers to get feedback on their maps and show off all of the creations. Streaming may or may not continue after the first round. The entire judging staff will make final decisions on contest winners off-stream. You may also track the progress of the maps using Extermination Trello Board.
Q. What maps can I forge on?
A. You may forge on any blank canvas (Barrens, Depths, Tidal, Alpine, Glacier, Parallax or Breakout Arena) or outside of a Halo 5 disc map. You may not use the geometry from within a disc map.
Q. How many maps can I submit?
A. Each forger may submit as many maps as they want however they may only win one monetary prize. However multiple maps from each forger may get used for the Extermination Tournament.
Q. Can I co-forge with a friend?
A. Yes, you may co-forge, however there must be a primary forger listed for every map. In the event that a co-forged map wins then all of the winnings will go to the primary forger AND a primary forger’s map can not win two monetary prizes.
Q. Are remakes from another game allowed?
A. Yes, however your submission will be deducted points for originality based on the similar features of its layout. Its also important to remember that strong IP infringing aesthetic themes will most likely not be considered for matchmaking if that privilege should ever come up in the future. If you would like to create a remake, we encourage you to take inspiration from previously existing Halo maps!
Q. Where do I get the Script Brains that run Extermination?
A. You can download the script brains from HaloATN's prefabs.
Here are some resources available to get your map tested (and to play some Extermination which I would highly recommend doing before trying to forge a map).
Duke After Dark
The Thursday Thirteen
Extermination Wednesdays- Special Lobby running during the contest
Extermination Forging Guide
ATN Extermination Post