Extermination Forge Contest

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Duke of Mearl, Jan 19, 2017.

By Duke of Mearl on Jan 19, 2017 at 4:57 PM
  1. Duke of Mearl

Forge Critic

Extermination_banner2.jpg

Hey guys, this is Duke of Mearl from the Alliance Testing Network (ATN) and I'm thrilled to announce ForgeHub's next map contest! A few weeks ago, our elimination game mode, Extermination, was featured by ForgeHub and the response from the community has been overwhelming! If Extermination is still new to you, check out the video below for a brief introduction to the mode:

For this contest, ForgeHub has decided to team up with ATN, the creators of this mode, to bring you the first ever Extermination map contest! We’ve already seen some really cool Extermination creations from the Forge community and are excited to see what else you can create! Maps are typically sized between 1v1 and 2v2 providing an opportunity to express your visual artistic freedoms more liberally than traditional 4v4 maps. While the prospect of this spacial liberation may inspire your visual expression first, please remember that creative gameplay value is just as important!

TRELLO BOARD

With this contest, the ForgeHub Staff is attempting to make the judging process more transparent so people can see the entire process and comments made by the judges. On this Trello board, we will have all of the submissions, rules, and judging available for public viewing, allowing for a more transparent approach to how contests and map submissions are selected. By introducing this method, this will also give both the map creators and the community the ability to view things at face value. This way, everyone who submits a map will also be able to receive feedback on their creations, straight from the judges themselves.

Link to the Extermination Operations Board: https://trello.com/b/QHezoMxc/forgehub-alliance-testing-network-extermination-contest

PRIZING

Total Prize Pool: $1000
    • Top 5 maps get $200 USD each
    • Inclusion to ForgeHub's Featured Maps Library
    • Video feature on ForgeHub's YouTube channel
    Once again, when the judges establish the top 5 maps from the contest, the community will be given an opportunity to select a 1st place winner for some extra bragging rights.

In addition to monetary prizes, ForgeHub and the ATN are working together to host an Extermination tournament. The top maps from this contest will most likely be considered for inclusion, though we may also consider content outside of this contest for the tournament. We will provide more concrete details when we make them, so stay tuned.

SUBMISSIONS

Build Time: 1.5 months
    Deadline: March 3rd

Entries must be submitted no later than March 3rd at 11:59 PST. Judging will begin directly after the submission deadline and winners will be announced as soon as judging is completed. Any files that are altered after the submission deadline will be disqualified so we strongly recommend you create an additional save file for your submission into the contest and not to touch that file.

Note
    Remember that every time you save your map you have to change the visibility settings so that everyone can see it. There is also an assortment of glitches that can disable visibility as well. Please make sure that the map is visible prior to the contest deadline.

Grace Period
    Once you have submitted your map you may no longer make any major adjustments to the layout however you will have 1 week to ensure that your map is set up properly to work with the game mode. We will provide tutorials for this below in our 'resources' section. Members of ATN will also try to make themselves available to the forgers during this time to assist those needing help to properly set up their game modes.

Here's the link to the Submission Thread.

exterm1.jpg
    JUDGING CRITERIA

Judging commences on March 12th

Two of the most important aspects of an Extermination map are gameplay and aesthetics.
    Here are some of the things the judges will be looking for:

Gameplay:

1. Map Size/Layout: Are matches finishing in a timely manner (without ending in a lot of ties)? Do you have a chance to survive as the last person standing on your team? Is the map easy to traverse?

2. Readability: Are you able to easily tell where you are on the map? Are you able to make callouts distinguishable?

3. Spawns: Are you spawning into unwinnable situations? Are spawns facing weird directions or into death pits? Are you able to orient yourself quickly after spawning? Do spawns switch every round (asymmetrical maps only)?

4. Enjoyment: Are play areas interesting to fight on? Are teams able to fight their way back after being down? Are initial spawns fair for both teams?

5. General: Can you break out of the map? Are clambers working? Does the map have name volumes/intro cameras/static cameras/outro cameras/etc. ? Is playable and non-playable space clearly defined?

6. Weapons: Are power weapons and Power ups are set to 1 minute timers? Do the other weapons feel natural on the map? Are any of the weapons too powerful?

Aesthetics-

1. Performance: Does the map suffer from any negative visual or performance issues (i.e. z-fighting, drops in framerate, lighting glitches, etc.)?

2. Originality: Is the map interesting and unique?

3. Immersion: Does the map immerse the player? Is the theme well put together and convincing?

JUDGING PANEL

- ForgeHub -

Warh0lic

Nitro

Sikamikanico

Ascend Hyperion

- Alliance Testing Network -

Duke of Mearl

Max Extra

Natabase

Xdemption

- 343 Industries -

Unyshek

In order to promote transparency Duke of Mearl will be streaming the first round of judging of the contest submissions. This will allow for forgers to get feedback on their maps and show off all of the creations. Streaming may or may not continue after the first round. The entire judging staff will make final decisions on contest winners off-stream. You may also track the progress of the maps using Extermination Trello Board.

exterm2.jpg

FAQ

Q. What maps can I forge on?

A. You may forge on any blank canvas (Barrens, Depths, Tidal, Alpine, Glacier, Parallax or Breakout Arena) or outside of a Halo 5 disc map. You may not use the geometry from within a disc map.

Q. How many maps can I submit?

A. Each forger may submit as many maps as they want however they may only win one monetary prize. However multiple maps from each forger may get used for the Extermination Tournament.

Q. Can I co-forge with a friend?

A. Yes, you may co-forge, however there must be a primary forger listed for every map. In the event that a co-forged map wins then all of the winnings will go to the primary forger AND a primary forger’s map can not win two monetary prizes.

Q. Are remakes from another game allowed?

A. Yes, however your submission will be deducted points for originality based on the similar features of its layout. Its also important to remember that strong IP infringing aesthetic themes will most likely not be considered for matchmaking if that privilege should ever come up in the future. If you would like to create a remake, we encourage you to take inspiration from previously existing Halo maps!

Q. Where do I get the Script Brains that run Extermination?

A. You can download the script brains from HaloATN's prefabs.

RESOURCES

Here are some resources available to get your map tested (and to play some Extermination which I would highly recommend doing before trying to forge a map).

Testing Lobbies

Duke After Dark

The Thursday Thirteen

Forged Fridays

Extermination Wednesdays- Special Lobby running during the contest

Extermination Guides

Extermination Forging Guide

ATN Extermination Post

#1 Duke of Mearl, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Duke of Mearl, Jan 19, 2017.

1. purely fat
      purely fat
      Storm Crow
      AceOfSpades likes this.
    2. purely fat
    3. Connie
      Connie
      Hey judges, I've got a question. There's currently a bug with the Xbox Preview Users where some can't link screenshots to map files on Halo. I was wondering if that would effect scoring at all, since I've been holding my submission in hopes that they resolve the issue, but it doesn't look like that'll happen in time.
      ArturBloodshot likes this.
    4. ArturBloodshot
      ArturBloodshot
      Same here... It's a pity I can't show off my map with a thumbnail :(

Btw @Duke of Mearl ... Do Extermination maps released with the gametype can qualify for the contest??? I feel it's kinda unfair...
    5. Duke of Mearl
      Duke of Mearl
      I'm not the one who decides what is eligible and what isn't for prizing, that is up to the people supplying the monetary prizes. Only maps I have been told that have been excluded are those of the judges (obviously). All maps will be judged fairly based on their current play value and other than that the decision is out of my control.
    6. ArturBloodshot
      ArturBloodshot
      Alright dude, thanks for clarifying that :)
    7. Blaze
      Blaze
      Sorry if this was asked before but how will you get maps for the contest that do t show up on waypoint due to the bug? Will judges be able to meet online and save them from anyone having this problem? Because, the update that I made is fairly important..
    8. Duke of Mearl
      Duke of Mearl
      If you are experiencing a bug then post that in your contest submission thread as the waypoint link but make sure it's visible and bookmark it (so we can distinguish it easier).

We aren't going to penalize people for something out of their control like that
      Blaze and ArturBloodshot like this.
    9. lNeedMoreBleach
      lNeedMoreBleach
      cool contest
      Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
      WARHOLIC and ArturBloodshot like this.
    10. ArturBloodshot
      ArturBloodshot
      lol... no one saw nothing... :p
      lNeedMoreBleach likes this.
    11. WARHOLIC
      WARHOLIC
      ANNOUNCEMENT:
      To all Extermination Forge Contest participants, you have 1 week to make minor compatibility adjustments. Map must be final by March 11th! Some minor adjustments allowed during this time: lighting, performance, spawning, name locations, visual enhancements, weapon placement, etc. Judging commences on March 12th.

Grace Period
      "Once you have submitted your map you may no longer make any major adjustments to the layout however you will have 1 week to ensure that your map is set up properly to work with the game mode. We will provide tutorials for this below in our 'resources' section. Members of ATN will also try to make themselves available to the forgers during this time to assist those needing help to properly set up their game modes."
      --- Double Post Merged, Mar 4, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 4, 2017 ---
      Hey Blaze, I've seen this happen quite a few times. Is your map available to download if I access your files from my in game friend roster? I'll do my best to make sure we get the right file from you.
      --- Double Post Merged, Mar 4, 2017 ---
      Can you obtain screenshots of your map another way? Could you load up forge on PC and perform a screen cap for your computer? I'd hate to recommend this but you can take a mobile screenshot as a last resort...I repeat "last resort" :p
    12. Soldat Du Christ
      Soldat Du Christ
      Is this just another way of saying it's being postponed? Or was this grace period a thing before
    13. Duke of Mearl
      Duke of Mearl
      The grace Period was always there in the rules for the submission thread. Its mostly to ensure that the Extermination game type works on the map (because sometimes people have the scripts messed up or not there), but also to make sure the fine tuning is done. Since it is a new game people are less familiar with some things that may be needed for the game to run properly
    14. Connie
      Connie
      Can you obtain screenshots of your map another way? Could you load up forge on PC and perform a screen cap for your computer? I'd hate to recommend this but you can take a mobile screenshot as a last resort...I repeat "last resort" :p[/QUOTE]

I have screenshots and they're posted here on Forgehub, it's just that I can't link them on Halo 5, so when you look at the map it just shows the Barrens preview image.
    15. ArturBloodshot
      ArturBloodshot
      I have screenshots and they're posted here on Forgehub, it's just that I can't link them on Halo 5, so when you look at the map it just shows the Barrens preview image.[/QUOTE]

It's an Xbox Insider issue, I have the same problem. But that doesn't hold you to put the obligatory 5 screenshots on the submission post :/
    16. BodeyBode
      BodeyBode
      When will the trello begin being updated?
      Soldat Du Christ likes this.
    17. Soldat Du Christ
      Soldat Du Christ
      "Some minor adjustments allowed during this time: lighting, performance, spawning, name locations, visual enhancements, weapon placement, etc."

I'm taking this quote to the bank during this "grace period" lol, lots of performance optimisations that can be done.
      WARHOLIC likes this.
    18. Duke of Mearl
      Duke of Mearl
      ATN is currently in the process of going through the submitted maps and checking for some basic map necessities before maps will move on. I hope to have all the maps combed over tonight. We are moving through maps in the order they were submitted.

Some things we are looking for are:
      Kill boundaries, working script brains, spawns, cameras, Name volumes, weapon placement, textures, lighting, performance, etc.

If maps fail to have the necessary components then they may be eliminated before testing occurs. Please realize that while we are providing this service we may also miss something in our quick run through of the map so it still falls to the forger to double check the map for the necessary components.

Maps will be entered into the Trello once played. Maps with the red tag have a major issue that could eliminate it from the contest if not fixed before the next deadline. Maps with the orange tag are being moved on but have some issues that we highly suggest being fixed. Yellow tags move on but there are comments for most that we suggest you looking into. Again, be aware that we may have missed something initially the map may still need (if we overlooked that your map has no name volumes or a static camera for example then put name volumes/static camera on it).

Also note these tests have nothing to do with gameplay or the aesthetics of the map in terms of odds to win the contest... this first step is just making sure the maps are playable and have the needed elements. We will be checking through all the maps given the red tag after the final submission to see if the needed changes were made before we add it to the maps ready for play testing.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://trello.com/b/QHezoMxc/forgehub-alliance-testing-network-extermination-contest

As of this post we've gone through about the first third of maps submitted
    19. Erydhil
      Erydhil
      I have one question, to be sure to have well understood. About the grace period, can I edit the map file or have I to create another one which I can edit to make the adjustments that I need before march 11th ?
    20. Duke of Mearl
      Duke of Mearl
      You may edit this file. After the 11th of March, no more alterations can be made to your maps as judging commences on March 12. All current edits must not be major layout changes
      Colorado116 and WARHOLIC like this.