Engage | A Halo 3 MLG Map by EvaduR

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by EvadeR, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. EvadeR

EvadeR Spartan I

Hi, everyone,

I learned how to forge in Halo 3 on MCC out of necessity -- I wanted to play jump maps, but there were none. Remember, when the game came out, Halo 3 was completely ****ed (you couldn't even edit gametype goals ie: flag, ball, hill spawns), so there is a reason custom content is severely lacking - and why I hate 343 for that matter. Since the major bugs were fixed (a year later), I made a few jump maps (Ghost: Mastery, Ghost: Kung Fu & Longing) and got good at forging.

Recently, I decided to create an MLG map just to liven up the custom community a bit because getting steam rolled by teams of four in hardcore gets annoying (again, **** 343). The result is my combination of Lockdown, Onslaught, and Amplified -- the best of ball, flag, and slayer on Foundry. Download it, test the 3 gametypes (fun for 1v1s and FFA as well), and let me know what you think. Spawning is questionable at times, but I blame 343 :}

I did have gameplay to go with this post, but my computer crashed when I was working on it. I lost all my files -- thank god I finished the tage though!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Matt has Soul

Matt has Soul Spartan I

So because Halo 3 was lacking in content, you hate 343?

*logic*

PharmaGangsta1 likes this.
  3. Verses Fatum

Verses Fatum Promethean

This map is actually what got me started in Forging, I loved how everything was fused together, that and Foundry was the **** back then
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016 ---
    wait, I'm thinking of a different map....or is this what I'm thinking of?

4. EvadeR

EvadeR Spartan I

343's MCC was the single worst game release in console gaming history. It's still buggy as ****, and they refuse to touch it with a 10 foot stick. Shitting all over my childhood nostalgia isn't something I forgive, especially considering that IT IS STILL BROKEN.

Just this past weekend I got a game of hardcore after being in the theater lobby... I get Guardian Oddball -- then, instead of the game loading, I get put into a random recent theater film. My game still crashes often. ~10% of the time I restart round in forge, the game ends -- and I do this frequently to ghost merge. Beatdowns in Halo 2 and 3 lunge yet don't register ~30% of the time. I could go on and on.

Lacking in content is an ignorant way to put it, considering these things worked fine in 2007.
    My *logic* is sound, kid.

5. Box Knows

Box Knows Spartan III

This post makes me happy. 343 blows

Cool looking map, I personally love these style maps but good luck getting the kids on here to like it :)

6. TheGodofForge

TheGodofForge Spartan II

**** 343 assets, these are better

Faulk Smash likes this.
  7. Matt has Soul

Matt has Soul Spartan I

Still
    Still sounds like the only purpose of this thread was to bash 343. Have you even played Halo 5? They've made it much more competitive that Halo 4 and even Reach, while still adding gameplay options that make it feel like a modern fps. They've listened to forgers and given many options that were requested. 343 made Halo better than Bungie would have been able to in current times. I see why you're upset with MCC, but that's no reason to hate 343. Besides, there are much worse game developers that only care about money and not at all about the community.

Considering this was also your first post, I'm not sure why you had to be so negative. You probably should've posted in the introduction thread or posted something meaningful/helpful rather than a hate post. Just my opinion

Drizzy_Dan and Demar Falco like this.
  8. TheGodofForge

TheGodofForge Spartan II

No reason to hate 343? You're crazy. They completely ****ed us with MCC and H5 is not something people like me want to play. I know where evadur is coming from. Halo 5 is ****ing dragon ball z now. It's not Halo.

Faulk Smash and AceOfSpades like this.
  9. Matt has Soul

Matt has Soul Spartan I

Being open-minded is important with anything in life. Accepting change and developing your own opinion about change is import, but change is necessary whether you like it or not. Halo 5 is still fun for many, it's still competitive. There have been many things that have changed, but things do remain the same. I may not have played back in the Halo CE or Halo 2 days, but I've played for a long time and I've enjoyed the games for what they were. I still enjoy halo even though 343 now develops the games. I'm not really sure why you're still here if you don't like either MCC or 5. You can always go back and play the older games. They're still there.

10. TheGodofForge

TheGodofForge Spartan II

I do play MCC and i get ****ed in the ass by MS for doing so. It's a no-win scenario.

11. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Yes you should be open minded. You should let your girlfriend **** other dudes. It shouldn't bother you. In fact you should promote her sleeping with other dudes. It empowering and you are a hateful male if you don't.:fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat::fat: Looks like a solid foundry map.

Faulk Smash, EvadeR, a Chunk and 2 others like this.
  12. Box Knows

Box Knows Spartan III

hi

13. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

Halo 3 had all of those features, yet 343's port of the game was broken in MCC and made forging in Halo 3 essentially nonexistent.

While I do not support blatant hate posting against 343, it is undeniable that the community is upset about the current status of the game. Yes forge has evolved to something wonderful and will only progress from here. Tom French has proven to be a wonderful employee. Arguing that Halo 5 is much more competitive than Halo 4 or Reach gets you nowhere though, as they are the most widely acknowledged "non-competitive" Halo games. Halo Reach got Halo removed from the MLG circuit, and Halo 4 only expanded on the Reach concept in a similar format. Now Halo 5 is being admired as a competitive Halo, but it still does not match up the the levels of previous Halo titles, and it will not as long as these "modern mechanics" continue to evolve and arise.

We have only seen duct-tape fixes for ability mechanics such as (no shield regen when sprinting) This doesn't solve the issue of people running away from fights, it just discourages it. And to compensate even further, you cannot enable sprint if you are getting shot at. Again, these are duct-tape fixes for an underlying problem that sprint creates. If Halo 6 allows for the "ability" to shoot while sprinting, clamber, thrusting, sliding, throwing a grenade, and so on, it will return the core aspect of traditional Halo games where you can always have your gun ready to fire. THAT would be more of a mechanical fix rather than a duct-tape fix. Hope that makes sense.

As for MCC, the community has the right to be upset at 343, as they have done nothing to remedy the situation as of yet. Enter H3A. (Hopefully)

Faulk Smash, AceOfSpades and a Chunk like this.
  14. Matt has Soul

Matt has Soul Spartan I

The reason you're not able to shoot while sprinting, clambering, and the sort is a balancing thing imo. It's a risk-vs-reward mechanic. If you're just sprinting straight toward an objective or weapon spawn, you may get to where you're wanting to go before other players, but there's the possibility of you being shot and then being a sitting duck because you can't sprint away while being fired upon.

You talk of these mechanics as if they're a bad thing. I personally enjoy the mechanics and I believe they improve upon the gameplay. I know 343 probably spent a lot of time contemplating and testing how specific mechanics like this will work and how they will improve gameplay. If you allow players to have as much freedom as you're suggesting for Halo 6, then the gameplay would be much faster and more simplified. These little details (such as not regaining health while sprinting) are the best way to create balanced gameplay where it's possible to run away, but you're likely to be killed (or at least be on low health and an easy target).

15. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

It's a shitty, non-sensical way of balancing though. Halo is not a game where a player should ever NEED to choose between moving and shooting.

In a vacuum, none of the mechanics are bad. However, when they change one of the core aspects of an already established game series, then it's fair to say they're a bad thing. Allowing players to move faster than the base speed, and then punishing them for doing it in certain situations makes no sense in a HALO game. In that context, it IS bad. And that's just one of the multiple 'bad' mechanics in this game.

16. PharmaGangsta1

PharmaGangsta1 Dr. Deathpit

17. Matt has Soul

Matt has Soul Spartan I

So you're saying when you change a core aspect of a game series, it's automatically a bad thing? I still think people just aren't open enough to change in games. People seem to like a certain thing and then just want more of the same, no variety, no progression. Halo and any other competitive game is supposed to promote good decisions and punish bad decisions. By allowing people a greater chance to flee from combat, they're giving us more options and punishing us if we make the wrong decision. All FPS's require split second decision making and this is no different.

fame28 and no god anywhere like this.
  18. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

Well I can list a dozen reasons why sprint should be removed and base movement speed should be increased. I'm curious if you can list REAL reasons for sprint to be in Halo, I mean real justifiable answers. I really am curious, not trying to be resentful.

Sprint introduces a randomization of player movement speeds
    -This means you cannot predict your enemy's movement speed or destination, creating random gameplay which is NOT competitive.

"Risk vs Reward" isn't competitive, or smart, it is intentionally making a bad move and getting rewarded for that.
    -sprinting to get away from an encounter you should not have, or rushing power weapons.

Modern games do not need sprint, there is no rule or statistic that shows people only buy games you can sprint in.
    -If anything, the community is more vocal about catering to the classic essence of Halo. There was nowhere NEAR the amount of backlash in Halo 3 as there was in Reach, H4, or even H5. (And Halo 3's battle rifle was a shot in the dark.

"Players need to go fast!" Well the base movement speed can be increased to maximum sprint speed, the issue here is a placebo effect. People don't visually notice their gun flailing about while the spartan is dead sprinting forward, so they feel slow, but even in Halo 3 which was considered the slowest Halo movement speed, you are running at about 2 meters per second. (That's a normal person sprinting)

"I enjoy Sprint" - well then you should enjoy CoD more so than Halo.

"It's balanced IMO" Yes perhaps it is, but the very fact that they have to balance it, exposes it's problematic nature, doesn't it??

19. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

Yes, that's what I'm saying. When you change a core aspect of a game series, it can no longer really be considered the same game. I don't have any problem with change, as long as you're not talking about change one of the pillars of the game. In my opinion, having a consistent base movement speed is one of the pillars of Halo. I wouldn't have much problem with sprint as a map pickup (just as I don't have a problem with Speed Boost as a map pickup), but simply adding a second base movement speed fundamentally changes the game.

Imagine if EA made NBA Live into an arcade style game like NBA Jam, where you could dunk from half court, and make full court shots consistently under certain circumstances. Suppose they still called it NBA Live instead of rebranding it as a new franchise. Don't you think hardcore NBA Live fans would have a right to be upset about that, and say that the changes were bad? I'd say that's a fair comparison to what's actually happened to Halo.

Bottom line...I don't have any problem with modern shooters, or with the superhero like movement abilities that come along with them. However, I do have a problem with Microsoft/343 making a game like that and still calling it Halo. I buy Halo games because I enjoy the traditional Halo gameplay. Obviously I knew what I was getting with Halo 5, and I won't ever try to imply that I was misled to believe it's something it isn't. That doesn't change the fact that I'm greatly disappointed by what Halo has been turned into. I don't think I'll ever be able to truly enjoy a Halo game that doesn't follow the core pillars that the game originated with. I'm open to change and I enjoy variety, but I don't think I'll ever be accepting of any change that I feel makes Halo into a fundamentally different game. So again...Yes, the mechanics are bad because they go directly against the pillars the game was founded upon, and make it into an entirely different game with the name Halo stamped on it.

20. Erupt

Erupt Mythic
    Forge Critic Senior Member

EDIT: Removed this argument because this poor guy's thread got derailed, lol

Looks good, can't believe you had the patience to use H3's forge :)