Cube Map Locations

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by MythicFritz, Aug 19, 2016.

1. MythicFritz

MythicFritz Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

@Dunco

Edit after bumping enter with a blank response:

I didn't get a chance to look into it yesterday, life's been a bit busy. What skybox are you using? I'll check it soon as I can.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  2. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

how do you find them? look at reflections and try to deduce it?

3. MythicFritz

MythicFritz Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

Pretty much. I place a brightly colored block in the map, then I make a dark room with 2 perpendicular glass pieces inside so I can see East-West and North-South. After baking light, I look for the colored block in the reflection of the glass. Then I move the cube around, baking light and checking the glass between moves, until I pinpoint the location.

Sn1p3r C, a Chunk and ExTerrestr1al like this.
  4. Dunco

Dunco Troll Whisperer
    Forge Critic

I tried it on paradise and stormy. I think I found the general location of it but haven't nailed it down.

If you want to load up my Trollsquat map I have the cube placed as close as I could find. When you load up the map, go towards the cave opening with the yellow emmisive behind it.

5. MythicFritz

MythicFritz Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

@Dunco The reflection camera location on the clear skybox is 0,0,-245. This is just above the surface of the water at the center of the map. I double checked it tonight. On Trollsquat you've got a large rock chunk over the camera.

I checked the other locations for the other skyboxes of Tidal while I was at it and they haven't moved.

ExTerrestr1al and Dunco like this.
  6. Lazy Animator

Lazy Animator Spartan I

Is there a completely up to date list of cubemap locations? If not is there anyone with an up line to 343 that can get us an official list? It would be nice if 343 forge team just gave us this info. Lighting my maps is always what bums me out when I'm trying to finish a project.

Dunco likes this.
  7. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

From what Mythic Fritz said recently (post above yours), it seems it has not changed from what he has posted on page 1. Did you find one that's moved?

MythicFritz likes this.
  8. Lazy Animator

Lazy Animator Spartan I

There's a few possibilities. One is I'm doing it wrong, which is most likely. Or it's moved (on stormy, the only one I'm concerned with currently). I believe it is where it's supposed to be but unfortunately I don't believe I can fix the entire maps lighting problems with just this one lighting rig floating in the sky. The thing that's so frustrating is I'm within the object limit, currently 1300, still have some building to do, and my light map shot over 100% at like 600 to 700 objects. Now it's over 200%! There's too much give and take I can never decide what to sacrifice. Geometry that needs to be there, art, performance? All with awful lighting on top....Idk what the hell to do!

9. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

sounds like you need to consider if there are pieces that you can turn off light bake on. Check out this video by @Ascend Hyperion

10. Buddy Jumps

Buddy Jumps Jumpmaster

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Buddy Jumps/video/47596758

I think, everyone is familiar with those stripes. On Genesis I placed chromas on the outside of surrounding blocks to avoid that effect. Can you change them with the cube map? I tried it with a strong Red (0,0,-248 and 0,0,-245), but didn't see any changes, so I guess no?

11. MythicFritz

MythicFritz Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

Oh yes, we are all very familiar with those. I think they have to do with the way the floor and wall pieces meet and surrounding geometry are merged together and it freaks out the light engine a bit. First thing I'd try is moving the floor or wall around a little, or swap them out for other pieces.

The other thing I noticed is that while you have the reflection camera location boxed in and lit red, the shadows everywhere else are not red. I haven't forged in a while but seeing this and from checking some other locations I have a suspicion that at some point 343 reduced the intensity of the shadows generated from the camera. Don't quote me on that yet. I'm currently working every waking hour I've got so I can't check on it at the moment, but feel free to remind me in a week or so @Buddy Jumps and I should have some time. I can double check that location then.

12. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

Make the walls ofbthe box red, and see if that helps

13. Kawecki 22

Kawecki 22 ONI Agent

Is there any way to get rid of the canvas's slight differences that remain even after the cube map trick is done? Halo Ring, for example, has a bluish tinge that keeps on going after I've surrounded the spot with simple primitives set to White/ Emissive: 0/Light Bake: On. Exosphere is brighter in one direction...What else is there?

14. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

Try making one of the inside faces of the box a darker shade... might offset it the way you want. Rotate box for fine tuning? Kindbof speculating...

Kawecki 22 likes this.
  15. Kawecki 22

Kawecki 22 ONI Agent

Thanks for trying to think of something. Last night found my new favorite object for the trick. Instead of blocks (or pipes for a cool effect) I'm using eight of the small Covenant Full Body lights at 4.03' from the camera. They've got a brightness ≈ 0 - 1 intensity emissive, support light baking and aren't effected by whatever that was on Exosphere (with the lighting function safely turned off). I can't think of a lighting object that has a bigger surface area of that strange - lighting surface material. My maps will just have a creature somewhere on the canvas, now.

16. SgtSlaphead

SgtSlaphead Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Thanks again for this information! Knowing about cube maps has changed my life!

17. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Heroic

found some new (I think) awesome and useful tricks with this just in the past hour... has anyone made a video on this yet? Don't want to step on toes, but I think we should make a video w/ @MythicFritz 's documentation of locations and some techniques, plus some of the weirdness i just found.

we can darken/lighten all shadows on a map w/o changing the "lighting" setting on the map or using filters!

Also, emmissive spartans :D

Extra contrast added
    Halo 5_ Forge 12_8_2018 10_55_52 AM.jpg

Reduced to minimum contrast
    Halo 5_ Forge 12_8_2018 10_56_32 AM.jpg

Emissive spartan
    Halo 5_ Forge 12_8_2018 11_18_03 AM.jpg

I can also show people how to create an altered sun cast onto blocks by complimenting with an angled SPOT light vs a POINT light...

Just this contrast thing alone could actuallly cause some people to pull some old maps off the shelf that looked beautiful, but some shadow didn't look right... the spartan thing is just neat and could be used in a mini-game at some point.

18. MULLERTJE

MULLERTJE ROGUE

Cool. I've noticed some stuff some time ago when I've tried to make ice more icy and blue with the cubemap. Spartans and vehicles turned out frozen too on my frosty race island.

19. brusky0086

brusky0086 HSFN/iForge

I have just now discovered this thread:(
    That being said
    MythicFritz is a Forge stud .
    Video coming for you and this article tommorow:)

20. SgtSlaphead

SgtSlaphead Talented

This thread changed our lives!