1. Attention ForgeHub! For those who are submitting their maps for the 1v1 Forge Contest, the 2 week grace period was replaced with a hard submission date by October 16th at 11:59 PM PST. Any submissions that are submitted after the deadline will not be considered eligible. Have any questions regarding this, please discuss here https://www.forgehub.com/threads/1v1-forge-contest-discussion.156679/ . Good luck and Forge on! -Nitro
    Dismiss Notice

Community Favorites - September Winners

Discussion in 'Features' started by AlexVan123, Oct 12, 2016.

By AlexVan123 on Oct 12, 2016 at 8:45 PM
  1. AlexVan123

AlexVan123 Halo Customs
    Forge Critic

COMMFAV[1].jpg
    Hello again, and welcome to the results for the September Community Favorites! This month, a lot of maps were at stake for winning, and some of the best community creations won. Let's start by looking at the nominees.

CtdOSo1UkAArFRE.jpg-large.jpeg

Old Salt by Sikamikanico

UG Waterpark by Unsorted Gaming

Beachhead by sourwaffle

Snake Pit by Aschur

FERINDALE by GreyMuffinBass

Port City Bank Heist by RPG3000

Episphere by ThisIsNotTheNSA

Monarch by Aozolai

Thrashed by Fythic

Congrats to all of our nominees. Thanks to their creators for sticking to ForgeHub, and making awesome content for the entire community to enjoy. Now, onto our top 3.

beachhead.jpg

Beachhead is a return to one of my favorite Firefight maps from Reach of the same name - Beachhead. Forger sourwaffle does an awesome job of recreating just about everything that the map had to offer. The only thing missing from this map is some AI, and an announcer shouting "Firefight!".

waterpark.jpg

Unsorted Gaming's "UG Waterpark" doubles as an Infection map, and a place to just jump around on and have fun. The Waterpark uses the water on Tidal, and the new Gravity launchers to push people through slides, and into a shallow pool. Grab this map, and have a 'splash'!

And, for first place... (drumroll please)

oldsalt.jpg

Old Salt is one of those maps that does a great job in both layout and aesthetics. Forger Sikamicanico manages to create a great pirate theme and layout that works well with this theme, making for a spectacular map. I got to sit down with Sik and ask a few questions.​
    os1.png

Alex: What inspired Old Salt?

Sik: The Goonies and Pirates of the Caribbean, naturally. In truth, I'd seen a bunch of pirate ship inspired maps, and I thought all the ships were less than stellar, so the first thought was to build a better ship. The original design was loosely based on the cavern from The Goonies, but as it all started to come together, I realised a Pirate Fort was the better way to go.

os2.png

Alex: What design choices went into the layout of the map?

Sik: I wanted the ship to be the central focus point, with gameplay going through, over and around the ship. The premise became a wrecked ship in a dock, following a storm. While the map isn't exactly symmetrical, the design is such that the pathing and overall flow leads to a symmetrical feel.

The other goal was to scale this for 2v2, which I think works nicely. It can play 4v4, but it's a little too fast paced.

os3.png

Alex: What are you planning to do next?

Sik: Something urban-ish, but it's still a ways off - when I have something to share, I will.

Congrats again to all of our winners. What did you think? Let us know in the comments on this post, and stick to ForgeHub for all of your Forge news and community creations.

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Features' started by AlexVan123, Oct 12, 2016.