1. Hello new users! If you have not done so, please visit the Announcements section in the forums to review the Map Posting Guidelines and Site Rules. You can also copy these links https://www.forgehub.com/threads/map-page-guidelines-and-tips.157669/ and https://www.forgehub.com/threads/site-rules-and-guidelines.153477/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. IMPORTANT: We no longer support Halo Online or ElDewrito content. If the content is posted on the site we will remove it. For more information regarding this action, please read our "ElDewrito Policy Changes" in the announcements section in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Favorites: January 2018

Discussion in 'Features' started by Ascend Hyperion, Feb 3, 2018.

By Ascend Hyperion on Feb 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM
  1. Ascend Hyperion

Ascend Hyperion Speaker for The Dead
    Staff Member Forge Critic

[​IMG]

Another month has passed us by and with it's passing, another ForgeHub Community Favorites vote! Now, this month we're looking to shake things up by taking it back a bit. We're reintroducing a presentation style once used in the past that in ours eyes is both more appealing to the reader and much more engaging to the general audience. Additionally, we're reviving the winner interview section of the Community Faves vote. Each month, settle in for a one on one chat with the author of that months winner! Let's check out our nominees and winners!

mappic_10.png mappic_04.png mappic_01.png mappic_09.png mappic_02.png mappic_05.png mappic_03.png mappic_06.png mappic_07.png mappic_08.png

Comm Fav Large_Third.png

Kicking us off in third place is Badlands 2 by @Unsorted Gaming. In this custom game/map combo, players are thrust into a huge battle royale environment where they must scavenge for weapons, eliminate other players and stay within a set of moving zones. Inspired by games such as PUBG and Fortnite, Unsorted's new mode closely emulates the mechanics of both games and as such, has become an instant classic in the customs browser

Comm Fav Large_Second.png

Don't take that winter coat off just yet. Things are still chilly on this thrilling 1v1/2v2 map by @Ryley . Set in a long abandon eastern European port, Ryley demonstrates once again that he is a true master at artistic appeal and clever piece use. Players will battle within powerless buildings, broken bridges and between ultra cool trolley cars as they compete for that number one spot.

Comm Fav Large_First.png

If you haven't played on Swelter yet, you are truly missing out. Combining both stellar aesthetics with a topsie-curvey layout that is guaranteed to delight any player, this map is an absolute treat. For an insider scoop on the map, I talked with @LargerFiend , the map author.
    Ascend: When building Swelter, what was your primary motivation?

Fiend: I simply wasn’t happy with my previous map layouts. I knew I could do better than all the other stuff I had released, especially my other 1v1 map. So I pushed myself to get this one done.

Ascend: It goes almost without saying that the artistic quality on this map is ultra high. How did you develop the style on the map?

Fiend: I had an old project from around 8 months ago that I never finished. I was really happy with the aesthetic so I didn’t want it to die with that project. I wasn’t entirely sure how I wanted to expand on the current design so I started looking at pictures of ancient Greek and castle ruins. I found some interesting structures but still I didn’t know what direction I wanted to take it. A short while after I remembered the pale white layered designs in the Halo 2 mission "The Oracle" and thought that it would be cool to see that type of style in a more worn/abandoned setting. I mixed all three of those themes and Swelter was the result.

Ascend: This map just narrowly missed the window for the 1v1 contest. Do you feel it would have performed well in that environment if it had been a contest entry?

Fiend: I do believe it would have placed better than the map I had submitted. There were a lot of gameplay aspects that are specific to 1v1 matches that I didn’t take into account which created many more issues for my old map. I used the feedback the judges gave to the entries in the contest and tried to eliminate the problems that arose in my map.

Ascend: As with any map, I'd imagine you had to jump through some major hoops to get this map fleshed out how it is. What would you say were some of the biggest obstacles you ran into building, Swelter?

Fiend: Limiting my item usage. I wanted to make the map more focused on the ruin aspect but it just isn’t possible with the current item count. The natural pieces are very good for filling in these gaps and offer a much lower count so I just used them instead.

Ascend: I think it's fair to say that this map is far from your last. Any good forger carves out the highest positives from previous maps and catalogs them for future reference. What elements of Swelter do you think you'll implement in future maps?

Fiend: I've always liked the verticality of halo maps. (Spire was a favorite of mine in Reach) The tower and bridge in the middle of Swelter is a feature that I do plan on modifying and implementing into some future projects.

And there you have it! Remember that what gets put on ballot is decided by the Forge Critics! It's up to you all to nominate maps for the vote! Not a Forge Critic? You can make suggestions for nominations to any staff member or any critic as well! Your voice matters too! Congratulations once again to all our candidates and winners!

See you next time! :forgehub:

#1 Ascend Hyperion, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    RPG3000, Ryley, eLantern and 23 others like this.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Features' started by Ascend Hyperion, Feb 3, 2018.