Can I stealth camp in the woods or in my van to avoid paying rent?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gram, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Gram

Gram Legendary

Hello everyone, for about the past year I've been living out of my van so that I don't have to pay rent. The main reason that I do this is so that I don't have to slave away 8 hours a day, 5 times a week at my slave job. Basically, you sleep 8 hours a day and so only have 16 hours a day to enjoy conscious life; the idea of wasting half or more of my life for the next 30 years in order to obtain enough money to barely avoid starvation and homelessness at the end of the month sounds like a waste of my precious and finite existence. Lately though, I've been thinking of taking this a step farther; if I stealth camped in the woods each night I wouldn't have to pay rent, a van payment, car insurance[​IMG], or gas. While living out of the van I could easily survive working only 20 hours a week; but with this approach I calculated that I could survive working only 5-10 hours a week tutoring part-time. The way I look at it is that I'm not living in a van/tent, I'm only sleeping in a van/tent since I'm only "there" for 8 hours a night to sleep. The rest of my days I spend reading, practicing meditation and yoga, working out, and developing my friendships and a relationship with someone. I've found many YouTube videos and seen many posts on forums of people who have been getting away with this for years by staying under the radar. This sounds a lot better than toiling away in futile drudgery 8 hours a day in order to get the Fed's toilet paper monopoly currency to barely avoid starvation/homelessness.

2. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

Serious question here, because I understand the stance morally, but this doesn't make much sense to me logically...
    You're willing to be homeless and work 20 hours a week so you can avoid working 40 hours a week and 'barely avoid homelessness?

SgtSlaphead and Chronmeister like this.
  3. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Mythic

You have to run the #s for yourself. Eventually, you are not going to be so young anymore, and having a more permanent indoor place to live, sleep, eat, be protected from animals on 4 and 2 legs will be more and more important to you. Also, us woman folk like to hang around men that have modern pluming.

Run the #s and report back.

4. BodeyBode

BodeyBode Promethean

Relevant link to a guy who lived out of his car/ hammock, while working a full time job.

Really interesting read as well as pictures.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/HyrbI/comment/768128383

Counter argument. You say you don't want to work because if you do you'll end up homeless, except you already are. A car is great and you feel fine now. But 30-40 years from now your joints might ache, you don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to find a parking spot where police won't bother you. And how are you going to save up enough money to live for when you eventually decide to stop working your 20 hours a week slave job?

Don't think in the now, try planning for the long term. Find a job you don't hate, do it full time, save enough for when you eventually want to stop working, and live in your car/tent as long as you want to while you're young to save even more money

Soldat Du Christ and a Chunk like this.
  5. Agent Zero85

Agent Zero85 ONI Agent
    Wiki Contributor

Read Into the Wild. I bet you already have. I will spare you my argument. Maybe not.

Living with the intent of avoiding the everyday 9-5, is really an attempt to live with a daily 18 hour shift.

You can do all of your goals without slaving away at a job. Start a company, invent something, or find something that works for you. My philosophy, which i call Colton's Law of Philosophy states:

1. Every stance you take is an opinion.

2. Furthermore, the majority's opinion isn't universally good/right, as it is a stance that the majority's opinion is important. AKA it is an opinion that an opinion matters.

3. Something becomes a 'fact of opinion', when an opinion of a definition is agreed upon. Something being "bad" can be defined differently by different people, and when people agree on it, it is a 'fact of opinion' to those who agree, and them only.

So why bring up Colton's Law? Because at the end of the day the majority's opinion, doesn't hold water. Maybe in practice it does, but it is an opinion as well that the fact opinions can be enforced, make the opinion more right.
    Lol.

6. Soldat Du Christ

Soldat Du Christ ONI Agent

I've dreamed of living homeless, maybe in a tent, and simutaniously working a full time job saving up eeeeeextra money. Rent alone is expensive, i don't need that fancy crap. I'm good with a tent in the woods, pots and pans, gas stove, walking a mile to work and back, 10$ gym membersip for showers, and my bible.

All just for fun, the experience, learn how to adapt and cope, and save alot of money.

7. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I only worry about the IRS coming and taking your van away.

Dunco likes this.
  8. Soldat Du Christ

This was a year ago, wonder if we'll ever get an update...

9. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Probably not because the IRS has repossessed all his worldly belongings after he posted this.

Soldat Du Christ likes this.
  10. Gram

Gram Legendary

Here's my long-awaited update:

I've been living out of a tent for the past 2 years and have, on average, worked 0-10 hours per week. In that time, I created a company called Greg School (website link: gregschool.org), have created over 100 tutorials on math and physics and other topics, and created a video about space travel (can find on website) with talents from Pixar and Kurzgesagt.

I am still, to this day, living out of a tent and love it. You have to be careful though; it can be quite dangerous if you do it in the wrong areas with high rates of homelessness. I'd recommend starting off living out of a van for the average person who is interested in pursueing this lifestyle.

I don't want to tute my high-horse here but, overall, I'm super happy with how my life has been going and the accomllishments I've made. My advice to anyone trying to maximize their productivity in their creative projects: work as little as possible, so that you have maximum free time.

11. Soldat Du Christ

good for you man, i have a wife im responsable for now so i have to make sure shes taken of. Don't think she would enjoy that life style

12. Sins of Truth

If you want a comfortable life you have to ****ing make it.

I understand what you are saying, working under some other cunts thumb is the most stupid bunch of horse ass wiping bullshit I can ****ing think of. That being said it's good to remember that your piss poor job is someone's most heavenly opportunity, remain humble.

You must first ask yourself, what skills and talents do you have that set you apart from every other ****er out there? Now, once you have figured that out you need to find a way to profit from it, no one on this planet ever does something they are good at for free. Start making a plan, while continuing to do the boring stuff that allows you to put bread on the table. Research into your expertise, have others done similar things? If they have, how did they go about achieving it? What sort of contacts did they have? Do you have similar contacts or people who will hone your skills, even mentor you? Look into materials and budgeting to achieve a small startup. From there, reach out and gain other advice and advantages. Build up your own career, it'll take time but can certainly become a reality.

Don't want to pay rent? **** living in a van, try creating a dream life for you so that you can buy a house outright and not have to pay any rent. Don't try and love the life you live, live the life you love. And sure, you might want to live in a van, regardless of rent or whatever, but you can still achieve your perfect life. Having lots of cash or success doesn't mean you have to spend it all and be balling, you can still have the lifestyle you desire, but at least you won't be feeling like someone else's ***** while you do it.

Want the perfect garden, you gotta go out there and ****ing tend to it daily.
    Want a nice pet puppy, you have to walk and feed that ****er daily.
    Want the most ideal life you can dream of, you have to fight and work for it daily.

Why settle for less? Sure you might avoid paying rent, but unless you create the life you want to live, you will always be someone's slave. You've got this, **** everyone else. Figure out who you are and what skills you can bring to the world. Then figure out a reason for people to need them.