Building and Testing Help

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Riff, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Riff

Riff Legendary

Hey,

Put a few weeks worth of effort into a my first Halo 5 layout. So far I am very happy with it. Though it needs a lot of finishing touches, for now I'm looking for early feedback and maybe some scripting help from expirenced forgers.

My Tag is Rifick
    Shoot me a message of You're intrested.

Won't be posting it until I'm happy with it. Hopefully not to much longer.

Thank you!

II SEGA USA II and ZombieDyer like this.
  2. CertifiedChamp

can you just post some screenshots in this thread? makes it more accessible to give feedback when i can just look at pictures of the map

#2 CertifiedChamp, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  3. Riff

Riff Legendary

Feedback based on pictures would not make for comprehensive or valuable feedback.

Soldat Du Christ likes this.
  4. CertifiedChamp

Incorrect

5. DrDreidelBerg

Why should people work to help you when you won't even give people a good reason to help you.

Any project that has a lot of help and support always has an owner who is constantly putting the "product", or in your case map out into the public and showing its potential and why so and so should help and why in a respectful non-cocky way.

Giant mods for games like Skyrim are a great example, you think anyone would help on these massive and wonderful mods if people like you were the owners and just refused simple requests and didn't try to convince people respectfully why what they are working on should recieve help? No.

CertifiedChamp likes this.
  6. Riff

Riff Legendary

That's entirely okay with me. I don't mean to be rude. Just being honest.

It's not that I won't put pictures up. I may or may not when the project is more presentable.
    I'm simply expressing that the rational that pictures would make for a good source of feedback seems hugely misguided.
    The term don't judge a book by it's cover exists for a reason.

On another note, I'm not putting out a product. I may not even release the map publicly. I put out an invitation to all who are interested and was asked for pictures instead. No thank you.

7. DrDreidelBerg

Don’t judge a book by its cover applies to books not video game maps, thats a rather ridiculous argument. They say that because a picture on the cover does not equate to the quality of words inside the book. A picture of a map in a video game tells you a lot because it shows the map almost in its entirety, what theme you want, what layout you have, and what you’re trying to do.

You can’t know what layout a map has if you can’t see it, and if nobody sees the map then nobody will likely want to help.

If you don’t post pictures of your map practically nobody will ever play it or want to.

A map is not very different from its pictures and you can get a good idea of how it will play because it’s not any different from the map itself, you can’t say the same for a book cover because a book cover is not the book, a picture of the map will always be the map itself.

#7 DrDreidelBerg, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  8. CertifiedChamp

Why would I want to even consider helping someone with their map when I know nothing about it? Same goes for pretty much anyone, you need to sell the map if you expect feedback

9. Riff

Riff Legendary

I respecfully disagee.
    Feedback based on pictures would be focused on things that could be inferred from viewing images and not consumption through the intended medium. Much like judging a book by it's cover.

The quote is also used as a cautionary saying about judging things based on appearance and not substance.

#9 Riff, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  10. Riff

Riff Legendary

I'm not demanding help. If you're not feeling it, then don't. It's all good. I had people respectfully willing to help without the stink.

11. CertifiedChamp

I never said you were demanding feedback, I said you were expecting it, that's why you made this thread - you were expecting people to offer feedback for your map, that's definitely not a demand, and there's no stink from me in this, I simply asked for pictures of the map so I could get an idea of what I'd be getting into, pictures are a good way of getting the macro of the map and, if it's necessary, going in game and getting to the micro stuff if the pictures don't offer enough detail, though they usually will. When you get to a certain point in design, you acquire an eye for certain things that pictures can offer rather than having to physically walk around the map.

12. DrDreidelBerg

If someone asked for help judging their movie wouldn’t you want a preview or anything hinting at what it is before making the commitment of judging it that way you actually know you’re interested in helping?

It’s a lot less deep than you’re making it.

Sure some people will help anyways, but you are essentially locking yourself out of tons of potentially useful feedback.

If it’s bad feedback you just have to ignore it, it couldn’t hurt to post pictures. At least then people could have a feel for what is going on.

Im not trying to be mean im just giving advice, really experienced creators with really good feedback wont want to help you if you’re not willing to put your map out

At the very least post a map link so we CAN experience it in game.

I wouldn’t mind the reluctance to post your pictures if you at least explained the map and gave a link, but you’re making us do all the work.

I have nothing more to say, wish you luck

13. Riff

Riff Legendary

If someone asked me to direct a movie I would have no expectation that they would have a preview ready. Now you're both being silly....

14. CertifiedChamp

How so?

15. Riff

Riff Legendary

Expecting, demanding.. Interchangeable in this context. My actual expectation was no response. H5 is a dead game Imo. I forge for fun. I got substantave feedback. finished the layout. Not really looking to argue. Again, you do you.

16. CertifiedChamp

Forging for fun is fine, but if you're going to ask around for feedback and (I'm assuming trying to improve since you are trying to get feedback) and then proceed to keep your map on a ball and chain, you won't get nearly as much feedback and people will feel less inclined to make the effort to help and you won't improve as a result. Feedback is huge, especially when starting out, you should try opening up as many possible avenues to acquiring feedback which does include peaking the interest of others.. but my interest in this has long since vanished so I'm tuning out

Riff likes this.
  17. Behemoth

Behemoth The Man With No Face

Regardless of the current "discussion," I personally believe posting (at the very least) a basic description of the map will help you in finding forgers who forge the same or similar maps you do.
    Example: "I'm building a puzzle map with basic scripting I could use some help or feedback on if anyone is interested."
    The above clues us in on what you're forging so that helps you finding puzzle forgers specifically, or anyone else interested in trying it out.
    Pictures absolutely do help, but are not necessary. Descriptions of the map are.
    I hope I made sense and didn't overexplain as I typically do lol.
    I hope this helps and that you find what you're looking for.

#17 Behemoth, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    icyhotspartin and Riff like this.
  18. Soldat Du Christ

Soldat Du Christ ONI Agent

you guys got intellectualy dominated lol

Behemoth likes this.