Anyone got dem sweet shakes

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Preacher001, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

I'm just wondering if anyone around here has delved into the world of Shakers, otherwise known as transducers for adding a little umph to their games and or Home Theater.

old but sadly the most informative

https://www.amazon.com/AuraSound-AS...d+AST-2B-4+Pro+Bass+Shaker+Tactile+Transducer

I got interested in them when I realised the racing wheel I picked up doesn't offer really any vibration feedback. It's a FFB wheel but it's not vibration it's just wheel feedback. I'm still not sure if I want a small shaker for my wheel or one like the one I linked to hook under the couch.

ExTerrestr1al likes this.
  2. Soldat Du Christ

I though you where talking about milk shakes, I love milk shakes

3. ExTerrestr1al

ExTerrestr1al Spartan III

I wonder if you are under a misconception that the wheel decidews when to shake. It does not. the game does. So, depending on the game title, your wheel (if it has the capability in the first place) will vibrate, bump,j push and pull in various ways based on what the game tells it to do. If it doesn't receive the signal, it just can't do it.

I hava decent wheel, and no matter what, I'd advise getting a wheel that gives you what you need first, then the buttkickers...

4. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

Sorry, I posted this and then ended up having to deal with multiple hospital runs for family with injuries and illness followed by staff parties, double features at the theaters and general time with friends irl. Busy busy.

I've just picked up the Logitech G920 so I've got the decent wheel thing down. FFB configuration is pretty much a WIP, my real problem is that it lacks the more granular feel that I often enjoy in rumble feedback. That being said I'm generally unimpressed with the use of feedback in Forza Horizon 4. I know it's easy for the whole thing to become just one big rumble but the Xbox controllers have 4 independent rumble motors so there's no excuse why we can't have better rumble support.

This is where the Transducers come into play. Since they are sound based they could potentially be tuned to get a better feel out of the engines vibration since it's an ever present sound. This may mean I will have to adjust the device on the fly for more than a few games but if I'm about to put in a 2-3 hour session then what's the problem with spending a little time tuning during my first play session and then taking the 30 seconds before my following game sessions to reset those parameters. There are many Race and flight gamers that feel that the transducer was exactly what was missing from their setup.

When I first started searching I was looking for a solution that enhanced my racing games, then got interested in it's use in my games as a whole, but after hearing about how people have felt about using the Transducers for their Home Theater setups, I can't help but get excited about that aspect as well. Sure I could crank my sub but then I have to deal with neighbors complaining.

I'm still scouring the webs for info but the cheapest method seems to be picking up a used powered Home Theater sub box, yanking the amp out of it and then buying a couple Transducers. The sub amp already has the power, the built in crossover, and the controls for a little fine tuning. Still not sure if I need to buy a unit with an LFE channel or not. Might grab one if I can find one cheap enough but I'm not looking to spend much past $50 for an old sub.

I love the idea of this thing but I'm not anxious to spend the money and I'm not sure I'll be able to build a cheaper variant that would work as well.
    https://www.amazon.ca/ButtKicker-BK-LFE-Transducer-Couch-Chair/dp/B002KAT4IW

41H9YNFHGKL._SX466_.jpg

#4 Preacher001, Dec 11, 2018 at 4:17 PM
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 4:33 PM
  5. ExTerrestr1al

you're talking about forza horizon... ther'es your problem ;) It's not really a racing game.

Like I said, the feedback comes from the game, not the wheel. The wheel only translates what the game tells it to, and can't do more than the game tells it to do.

6. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

I doubt the feedback would change that much between Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon, and I much prefer Horizon since Motorsport decided to focus on tracks which was always the part of Forza I wasn't in to. I'm not sure how Project Cars feels since my friends have mostly stuck to Forza and my enthusiasm for racing games curbed *pun intended* around Need for Speed 3 with a brief uptick around Forza Motorsport doing Fujimi Kaido runs in my Hachiroku.

And as I said
    It's also why I said
    Thus no longer relying on the limitations of each game.

In general I'm not a huge fan of how limited rumble feedback is in most games. I can't help but feel that Devs are limiting the feedback in an attempt conserve battery power. If that's the case then I wish they would give us the option to adjust intensity or better yet fine tune what types of vibrations we would like emphasized. I don't mind wasting battery power if it improves my immersion in a game.

#6 Preacher001, Dec 12, 2018 at 1:41 PM
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 2:34 PM
  7. ExTerrestr1al

if you are not into actual racing sims, and just arcade games (horizon nfs etc.) then you have probably never felt proper feedback. IDK how good Forza Motorsport is now days, but it was always behind the pack when I raced more...

pCars 1 was **** for FFB because it didn't come with it configured properly, but i'd bet that pCars 2 is light years better.

In short, you're DEFINITELY wasting money if you buy buttkickers, IMHO. but if you have it to waste, it could be wasted on something worse ;)

EDIT: Isee you are a little frustrated, but then try to make your case by contradicting what you've said. THE GAME DOES FEEDBACK, NOT THE CONTROLLER. Just because a rumble capability exists on the controller, does NOT mean it is responsible for giving you "feedback". That is the game. The controller and wheel only translate those instructions into something that device can actually transmit to your hands/arms.

It is the difference between listening and hearing. Not the same thing.

8. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

As someone who's spent around 15 years driving as a profession, unless all these vehicles use armstrong steering the FFB you feel directly on the wheel itself should barely compare to what you feel in the seat. Now knowing that most people don't have seat feedback the urge would be to put that back into the wheel. As I said this is a mistake, because it doesn't feel the same. A better compromise would have been to allow the dash (if you will) to vibrate, with less feedback emphasis put directly into the steering column.

If you fuss with the in game settings you can set the wheel to pull and buck much closer to what a real car would which is actually more often than not very little. The end result is a wheel that honestly doesn't feel like much and when the time comes for a real pull or buck the wheel is far too light. In the middle of all of this you don't get the ambient vibrations that you would have in a real car. This again is where having something like a transducer fills that void.

on a sidenote: I've also had the displeasure of experiencing real world crashes and in newer cars (post the advent and refinement of power steering) you are left with your wheel alignment completely trashed after a disproportionately mild pull of the steering wheel .*yay technology*

You seem absolutely hung up on the most obtrusive of the feedback when all I've talked about since the beginning is the more ambient purpose of a rumble system.
    I should have mentioned that these are people with $1000-$10,000 custom rigs. I think they understand the difference between wheel feedback and the missing element that I am trying to get across here.
    I hope this finally helps you to better understand larger scope of where I am going with this post.

9. Preacher001

Preacher001 Legendary

How could I forget to include my opening sentence.