After a year, how have you changed as a Forger?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Goat, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Goat

Goat Rock Paper Scissors Scrap
    Forge Critic Senior Member

https://www.forgehub.com/maps/bastille.967/

MultiLockOn likes this.
  2. Yevah

Yevah Promethean

I'm glad you deleted a map for once @Xandrith

3. Xandrith

Xandrith Spartan III

The design was honestly pretty solid, but the forging was day 1 quality (literally) and it was really over scaled.

4. SaltyKoala

SaltyKoala Mythic

Holy **** I remember Bastille! The maps layout was legit and the forging was ahead if the curve for the time.

Xandrith and Goat like this.
  5. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

BRING BACK BASTILLE! BRING BACK BASTILLE! BRING BACK BASTILLE! (I still have it saved, lol)

Regarding the topic of the thread, the time since Halo 5's forge has been released has been all about confronting my weaknesses. The previous iterations of forge have favored people that can get the most out of the least. That's something I've always excelled at in life, for whatever reason. I've never had a super high opinion of myself as a forger because I knew what I was. I knew what my strengths were, and I recognized that I had a lot of weaknesses that just weren't being exposed at the time.

Being forced to finally face the fact that I struggle to conceptualize and bring to life visual theme's has been the biggest challenge for me. I alternate between just wanting to disregard that part of the process, and wanting to really dig in and improve on it. I've had 5 hour forge sessions where I was just experimenting with lighting, and I felt like I understood no more at the end of it than I had at the beginning of it. I've spent days testing out different color schemes and combinations, only to be left unsatisfied with all of them. It's been incredibly frustrating, and to a certain extent I expect it always will be, because the visual arts aren't part of my natural skill set. It's not only frustrating because of the struggle. A big part of my personal frustration comes from the fact that the part of forge I really, really enjoy is level design, and in trying to address some of my weaknesses, I'm left with much less time doing the part of the process that I like doing the most. It used to be that I could spend 80% of my time working on a layout, and 20% on everything else. Now it's reversed, and that's taking some time to get used to.

Also, the first year of every new game is essentially a wash for me when it comes to forge. I work extremely slowly, and it's really noticeable at the very beginning of a game because I'm starting totally from scratch. It's generally taken me 9-12 months to really start seeing the fruits of my labors. H5 is no different. I realeased 1 map pretty early on (March 2016), and haven't' released one since. I'm just getting to a place where I can begin churning out maps semi-regularly (assuming I continue putting in the time and effort).

I'm finally starting to grasp the basics of lighting. The use of textures and colors is still something I have a lot to learn about, and is my biggest challenge by far at the moment.

Ultimately, looking back at the last year I feel like I've only made baby steps compared to where I'd like to be. The next 6 months is where I really expect the rubber to meet the road. I'm getting deep into the areas where I struggle the most, and I'm eager to learn as much as I can.

6. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member Temporarily Banned

I haven't, I retired. :p

7. AnonFriction

AnonFriction ONI Agent
    Forge Critic

I can script now :D

Goat likes this.
  8. DrDreidelBerg

DrDreidelBerg ONI Agent

My hate for framerate has gotten more intense. It makes an incredible looking map have to turn into a good looking map /: The biggest thing for me is that for the first time I can actually make what I picture in my head, which is something I never thought I would be able to do, I used to be the guy who said "it was hard to understand forge", I kind of wish I would have started earlier. I'm currently thinking of doing a re-imagination of hugeass on the whole Barrens canvas with a tower in the middle.

Goat and Garrett757 like this.
  9. Kawecki 22

Kawecki 22 ONI Agent

There have been four big changes to how I use Forge in the past year that weren't already mentioned above by A 3 Legged Goat.

Firstly, I can use every type of rotation, movement and placement available without having to try and remember where they are or needing controls on screen. This has taken my environments in different directions than they otherwise might have gone, for sure. Even camera rotation for terrain objects is useful to produce a more organic look and reduce the disorientation caused by manipulating such large pieces to fit the need. Magnets have improved a lot from what they were in Halo 4 and z-fight will usually pick up the slack if they don't do the trick. Having more options has made it easier to imagine maps ahead of time without worrying as much whether or not they're possible. They usually are.

Ever since the update that included textures, I've found my comfort zone to be larger. Sometimes just changing the surface of some or all of the objects in front of me will be inspiring enough to start a new file in a theme I may never have attempted.

No more permanent stagnation. Along with the (somewhat lacking) feature of browsing and attaching picture files to maps plus the prefab feature, I've found I can leave an idea to collect some dust, but still finish it or at least incorporate it into another environment. The image alone is enough to make me revisit older stuff, because I don't have to wait two minutes to find out what the hell I did. Now I just use the date for the name if I can't think of something better immediately.

Finally, there's the vast ("how vast?..") community I didn't bother to find out existed, before. For months in 2015 I impatiently awaited the addition of Forge to Halo 5's menus. I scoured the internet furiously every day or two, and found out about a bunch of Halo/Forge-related YouTube channels that have been around for awhile. The complexity (glitches, obstacles, etc.) of this mostly awesome Forge brought me to r/forge within a week. r/forge brought me to TheRoflzDude. Everywhere people identify themselves as Forgers has been a good place to make my first Forge buddies and that's probably the best change of all. The social aspect has been very motivating. I'm always more than tempted to help when I can, which is probably good, since I always need some kind of help.

I have more aspects of the thing to explore. I'd like to develop a YouTube channel with tutorials and features soon. I need to learn more about scripting and game mechanics as anyone probably does. There are themes I want to try. It would be nice to also find out who Forges most compatibly with my love of coordinates, particularly 0, 0, 0. I'm still not budging on the benefits they can offer at times. : )

Edit: I've joined some Halo clubs, too, as a result. Creator Community Gaming and iForge are helping a lot with ideas and feedback. It's important to say that, but my memory is pretty bad, sometimes.

#29 Kawecki 22, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    a Chunk likes this.
  10. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

Over the span of Halo 5, I've really developed my skill set. After 9 years, I can safely say I'm in a confident place of interesting and competitive gameplay. This game has allowed me to experiment with designs I could never have in the past. Natural geometry has helped quite a great deal. Once I developed a taste for free flowing geometry, I put the same ideology into structural designs, and it has helped me improve dramatically.

Seclusion was completely free flowing and transitional from any general direction.
    Loading Zone was meant to be the complete opposite, with tight confined spaces and intentional direction.
    High Guard was meant to mend the gap and meet somewhere in the middle between free flowing and strict pathing.

My current and probably last project, experiments with dramatic verticality, and allows you to flow in and out of each area that encourages you scale up and down constantly throughout the map. It has a convincing theme similar to Loading Zone, but will please the window lickers who think that map was too busy looking. Very clean, and smooth everywhere.

I've come farther in the one year of Halo 5 than Reach-H4 combined.
    I can honestly say it is because of Multi who pushed me to do better.
    Not because of his videos where he talks about his **** and lockout.

11. MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn Promethean
    Forge Critic Banned Senior Member

Eggplant emoji

12. Xandrith

Xandrith Spartan III

eggplant is the greatest map of all time

Given To Fly and a Chunk like this.
  13. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member