”It’s said that former Spartans trained in this warehouse to hone their skills in battle. MLG settings. 4-8 players.”
Athlon is a symmetrical 4v4 map tribute to the classic MLG vibe, conceived as a fast-paced action map for competitive games and my entry to the Halo 3 Forge the Fight contest.
Player size: 4-8 players
Game variants: Slayer, CTF & KOTH (MLG & Hardcore settings)
HOW TO PLAY THE MAP? (ONLY PC)
- Download and unzip ".mvar" file.
- Navigate to C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\LocalLow\MCC\LocalFiles.
- From there, you should see a subdirectory with your map variants separated by game. Copy/paste ".mvar" file inside the "Halo 3" folder.
This map was designed for competitive settings in mind, which translates in BRs only and quick respawns for intense action. The dimensions used for this map are the same as the classic Onslaught and Amplified with a twist on the gameplay, making it unique and original while maintaining the competitive character. This map was at first an excuse for a Forge 101 streaming series for the Latam Forge Community which, unfortunately was no longer possible due to some issues with my connection provider. During the first session of these streams I got a very (I mean VERY) schematical concept of the map which I’ll break down here:
- Red and Blue = Team bases
- Black lines = Team zones division (diagonal symmetry axis)
- Orange = Central area (shortest path between bases / higher priority / less cover)
- Green = (Longest path between bases / increased height).
- Sky blue = Main sightlines
- Yellow = Main paths & hot spots
- Purple = Horizontal bottlenecks
- Brown = Vertical bottlenecks
With this conceptual “gameplay layout”, I started a 3D model of an early version of the blockout to get the first idea of volumetry. With these two pieces of the puzzle in hand, the blockout on Forge was an easy task for getting a testeable version of the map which evolved throughout the whole month.
Conceptual gameplay scheme & early volumetry
I can only imagine how any hours I would have spent to make this map without the new Forge tools (surely weeks). Sure enough, as an old school Forger this was a fun and exciting experience that brought me so much nostalgia about my roots as Forger.
*Starts playing "Blow Me Away" on the background*
Thanks to my followers on Twitch, the ForgeHub community and friends who helped me brainstorming and testing this map. Any feedback and thoughts are appreciated!